• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT409

Another random read. got as far as Saucers of the Damned on page 32, in which an American Navy petty officer reports seeing some sort of UFO while at sea.

I know from my father's accounts of service on carriers that if your arm of service doesn't explicitly allow you to go above decks or to an area of the ship where you can see natural daylight, the greatest part of your service is going to be below decks in enclosed areas under artificial light, and your downtime between watches (in so far as downtime ever applies) is going to be largely spent below decks, and your sleep will be in an enclosed cabin where you don't as a rule get a porthole.

Digging around this idea, and finding out more about life aboard carriers, this does appear to have become more of a general rule since the 1940's and 1950's - the flight deck in particular is a dangerous place and only those with a defined role get to go there. An off-duty sailor, for instance, couldn't lay a towel out and sunbathe!

So we have a ship's crew working in their specific roles below decks, often in enclosed spaces demanding complete and immediate attention and focus. I got the impression a typical crewman on a big carrier might as well be aboard a submarine.

So the question - if months on end can be spent without seeing natural light, even aboard a surface ship - how far does sensory deprivation go to accounting for things like this? Carrier crews do seem prone to this, and in a tight-knit community almost like a floating city, could a sort of shared hallucination account for some UFO sightings, like the apparent drone flotillas seen buzzing American carriers by night in the Pacific?

It'd be interesting to know PO Baughman's naval speciality. (how large a percentage of his time was spent below decks, was this his first time in natural daylight for some time, et c...)

Last edited:
Back