• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT414

Random observations;

i) I think I proved, to Erich von Daniken levels of satisfied provenance, that Aleistar Crowley is alive and well - he faked his death and moved to Leningrad. Either he wasn't totally clever or he fiendishly did it to taunt, as he appears as an unwitting extra in a music video (posted about this on another thread.... or look up "Little Apples" by Otava Yo)

ii) bullroarers - what, no mention of "The Last Continent" by Terry Pratchett, in which an orang-utan wielding a bullroarer brings renewed life to the barren wilderness which is the Discworld's "not-Australia"?

Latest issue appeared.
Mine was inserted through the front door this morning with such a crash that I thought we'd been hit by an meteorite. Or an Amazon Prime van (which although a lot more likely, would never make such a good movie....hmm, or would it?)

Erich von Daniken levels of satisfied provenance
That's an interesting choice of benchmark.... (also: hey, the penny has dropped at last....! Your Av's the album cover from 'Fire of Unknown Origin', by BÖC.....great stuff!)
Screenshot 2021-12-31 142604.jpg

That most Fortean of hard rock bands..... well, rock music occassionally crossing other genres, like Country and Westerm, but with a gothic edge to it - every LP has a few left-field gems.

Going back to the sighting of Aleistar Crowley in Leningrad - well, St Petersburg....
EDIT - screen-grab updated. This is the man himself, his cover having been busted by a folk-rock band in a boat on the River Neva, making a video..... the translation is ironic, too (the line Yulia Usova happened to be singing as she espied the Beast on the bridge)

Crowley in Leningrad.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was inserted through the front door this morning with such a crash that I thought we'd been hit by an meteorite. Or an Amazon Prime van (which although a lot more likely, would never make such a good movie....hmm, or would it?)

That's an interesting choice of benchmark.... (also: hey, the penny has dropped at last....! Your Av's the album cover from 'Fire of Unknown Origin', by BÖC.....great stuff!)
For you, an impenetrable anthem about Men In Black.

That most Fortean of hard rock bands..... well, rock music occassionally crossing other genres, like Country and Westerm, but with a gothic edge to it - every LP has a few left-field gems.

Going back to the sighting of Aleistar Crowley in Leningrad - well, St Petersburg.... View attachment 50072
I'll try to replace the screen-crab with a better and more focused pic - but this is the man himself, his cover having been busted by a folk-rock band in a boat n the River Neva, making a video..... the translation is ironic, too (the line Yulia Usova happened to be singing as she espied the Beast on the bridge)
See the video here:

New issue of FT delivered today- yay! I love the smell of a new copy- hmmm deep sniff of the issue once freed from its envelope restraint- what a great way to finish 2021 and start 2022!!

Incidentally. Barbara Bush as a byblow of Aleistar Crowley. I accept the story spread as a complete fabrication intended to test the gullibility and intelligence of conspiracy theorists. (They failed...). you can certainly see the resemblence. But even more so to the older Margaret Thatcher. now did Aleistar ever visit Grantham?

The best issue in ages, all the main articles where very interesting, even the Crowley one, and I was expecting to hate that.

Cracking issue. I’d had only a vague awareness of bullroarers and found that article particularly fascinating. Also lots of appealing books in the reviews; I’ve bookmarked several to track down.

Giant vegetables can be serious business. About 30 years ago Mrs T and I had a holiday in Northumberland near Hadrian's Wall. We arrived at the pub we were staying in to find it locked up, shutters closed, doors locked, no one around. Somewhat disconcerted, I'd driven from Kent, we decided to go and look at the wall for an hour or two and if the place was still closed up to see about other arrangements for the night. Remember pubs weren't open all day then.

When we got back there was an answer to our knocking. The place was locked down because they were hosting the Leek competition and no one was allowed in (or to look through the windows) until after judging! Once it was established that we were the booked visitors from "down south" and not leek saboteurs, everything was fine and we were allowed a look after judging when all the growers were there.

It was all very friendly but taken very seriously. There were two categories long leeks and pot(?) leeks, short and massive. They were all impressive but only fit for soup, so leek soup was on the menu, and free, for the next few days.

The Harrogate Autumn flower show also used to feature prize vegetables, and may still do so. Well worth a look if you are there at the time.

Really liked the men with no faces article, but unless I missed it, no mention of the Sapphire and Steel baddie? (UK TV series from the late 70s to early 80s).

'we decided to go and look at the wall for an hour or two'

Speed reading your post, I'd missed your location and thought you were both just sitting in the car staring sadly at the wall of the pub until someone turned up...

Back