• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT415

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
FT 415, February issue has just arrived.

Dreaming of the future
Marylands haunted boy (the inspiration for the Exorcist)
Ghosts of Norfolk
Feral humans
Bullet stopping bibles
Our very own Stu Neville on the Christmas ghost story The Mezzotint, hear from him on January's Edinburgh Fortean Society talk!

Last edited:
Taken by surprise there and feeling as if it's only five minutes since the last one...opened at random to the Anne Rice obituary "In the name of Christ I quit Christanity"

Last edited:
Taken by surprise there and feeling as if it's only five minutes since the last one...opened at random to the Anne Rice obituary "In the name of Chrst I quit Christanity"
Yes I admit to it catching me unawares when I saw the envelope, hadn't been expecting it just yet.

There's another thread here, think it might be an "abducted by UFOs" discussion, where in the last few weeks I speculated on the nature of apparently shared dreams, where one or more people separated by distance might - apparently - share the same dream-content. I wrote about a nagging feeling I have that if this happens, could it be that the participants in a shared dream might also be separated by time. So that I might have that dream tonight (22/1/22) in which X and Y figure. But X might already have had that dream on 4/7/08 14 years ago, and Y won't have it until 7/9/27, five years in their future... a shared dream doesn't mean we all share it on the same night. I might have gone on to the (il)logical conclusion - that X, who had the dream first, is seeing an event yet in the future for Y and myself.

And in the current FT - "Dreaming The Future". Nicely ironic, from my PoV as two or three weeks ago I was discussing a related, overlapping, area on this forum, maybe the same thing!

This was it... shared dreams, separated by perceived time?

Last edited:
If this is the service we can expect from the new publishers, colour me impressed.

Just had a dip into it, looks good, I did read the Middle Aged Mulder Syndrome Forum piece and it's one of the best from that section for some time. I do want to believe, but facts have a habit of getting in the way. Hope I never lose the optimism that something weird is out there, though.

Agreed, FT415 looks to be an excellent issue.

The Strange Days synopsis on the current 'Tartaria' fascination is sharp & comprehensive (I was about to forum-post on the topic), JB's piece on the albino false Icelanders is (as ever) superb, and the Letters pages seems well-above the normal level of intriguing oddness.

If this is the service we can expect from the new publishers, colour me impressed.
Ditto snap!

Alan Murdie's "Haunted King's Lynn" article is interesting.

he asserts that what should have been a major interest story (the Raynham ghost) became an obscurity as there was so much else going on to choose from - the 1930s being a great decade for daily mysteries and marvels... {{list of examples follows}}

I'm wonderng if these reported peaks in Forteana coincide with times of great unrest in the world, as if people are looking for distractions from more everyday fears and uncertainties (economic depression, the rise in Fascism, the increasng probability of major devastating war) and news outlets are providing this. AM goes on to noe, in passing, that the drabness of post-war Britain and the grim reality of getting on with reconstruction led to " ... drop(ping) out of circulation and popular consciousness rather quickly" with only one less socially prestigious ghost being seen.

Then again, as Cold War tensions heightened towards the end of the 1940's we get the UFO thing beginning in its modern form; this peaks during the 1950's and in the early 1960's, there's the Cuba Missile Crisis - does this coincide with a peak in UFO sightings and interest?

And today - economic depression, the rise in political extremism, the increasing probability of major devastating war over the ukraine and elsewhere with lots of little wars going on - are Strange Things on the rise again?

Also, the higher social class of ghost seen here. AM alludes to a rather more proletarian Woman in Brown who never caught the public imagination. It's interesting these are always high-status noble ghosts in country mansions, as if only the upper classes get the option!

The precognition articles: I enjoyed the books one, some great stories there, but the main article was disappointing. I don't doubt telling the future in dreams happens, but not every night and the author seemed to be labouring under serious confirmation bias.

I was not impressed by the Gary Lachman article either, it didn't seem very rigorous to me. Didn't help that the tone of it prompted my brain to hear it in Abe Simpson's voice, because parts of it sounded like one of his stories.

I found the Lachman article very interesting, some of the examples did seem a bit tenuous, but proving his theory right or wrong should be easy, just buy a notebook and wait to dream (unless you are me, i very rarely remember my dreams)

On a far more serious matter, i was astounded, ASTOUNDED to read about chaturbate, now i know it exists i am spending all my evenings on it, just in case i see a lady about to stick a hand gun up her vital organ, then i can tell her its a very silly idea, it takes up a lot of time, but tis my duty as a Christian.

Aaaagh. I wish I hadn't read the cannibalism piece. Can't get the image out of my head now. I repeat, aaaaagh. :eek:

Just clocked from the obituary photo of Anne Rice how much she looks like the long-sundered identical twin sister of Pam Ayres. I am now trying to visualise the Vampire Chronicles as written by Pam in her own inimitable style. (And Pam's whimisical poems re-imagined by Anne.)

Just clocked from the obituary photo of Anne Rice how much she looks like the long-sundered identical twin sister of Pam Ayres. I am now trying to visualise the Vampire Chronicles as written by Pam in her own inimitable style. (And Pam's whimisical poems re-imagined by Anne.)

"I Wish I'd Looked After Me Teeth" takes on a new, sinister meaning!

If 415 was out on 22nd January, then 416 should be dropping through the door imminently? (today being 23rd Feb).

Back