• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT419

Thomas Kinkade... not such a nice fellow, as it turns out.
Double life? That sounds intriguing.

I thought, wow, Barry Humphries writing for FT! Then saw the small print: it's a reprint of his column in The Oldie.

No surprise. Many moons ago I saw Barry Humphries in 'An Evenings Intercourse With Dame Edna' at the State theatre in Sydney. Sir Les was certainly in high spirits that evening.

I didn't know Barry Humphries was a Dame Edna fan, was he sat in one of the boxes?

What's the deal with Thomas Kinkade? Wasn't he a jigsaw painter who sold his products on QVC? :hahazebs:
Read about him. Much of this stuff came out after his death.

Whereas the chap written about in Fortean Traveller, Edward James sounded like a top bloke.

The short from South Africa about the cobra drinking milk straight from the cow. Isn't this one that's a sort of Fortean meme that's cropped up worldwide and over quite a long period of time? Everywhere there are cows and snakes this story seems to recur.

The short from South Africa about the cobra drinking milk straight from the cow. Isn't this one that's a sort of Fortean meme that's cropped up worldwide and over quite a long period of time? Everywhere there are cows and snakes this story seems to recur.
I can imagine it happening (but rarely) in situations where a snake can't find a normal source of water.

Is it me or is the ‘It Happened to me’ section getting less interesting? Where have all the ghostly prams and possessed items gone?

Thomas Kinkade... not such a nice fellow, as it turns out.
Double life? That sounds intriguing.
I didn't get a hint of any nastiness from the article.
A painter of kitsch enjoyed the whole biker scene on the quiet and was something of a prankster.
Probably the most fascinating article in this edition of FT.
Bit disappointing to see yet more classic UFO encounters debunked - can't be many left now.

I barely read the thing now. Strange Deaths and the funny sidelines bits near the front, and that's it.

I barely read the thing now. Strange Deaths and the funny sidelines bits near the front, and that's it.
Ditto. I read strange deaths, then It Happened to Me, and afterwards skip through the remainder. I find a lot of the subject matter is stretched to give it a Fortean bent when really there is nothing, I believe, Fortean about it.. Cryptozoology and Ufology do not interest me in the least and they seem to account for a lot of the content these days.
When a good subject that interest me turns up I generally and thoroughly enjoy it, but I find a lot of the writing can be too highbrow for me so I can read a few paragraphs then not bother with the rest of the article.
I still buy it for those little gems that do appear at times.

I must admit I wasn’t getting my moneys worth, from the amount I was reading. So I cancelled my sub and now borrow a digital copy from the library.

I go directly to IHTM, book reviews, and skim through the letters. There's far too many art and literature articles, just because the topic of that art or literature is vaguely SF, occult or paranormal doesn't make it Fortean. Occasionally there are great articles, which is why I maintain my Kindle subscription - for example Rob Gandy's Lincolnshire series.

I don't mind articles that are only vaguely Fortean. There is such a dearth of anything even approaching strange around me that I'm all in for something that only touches on the weird.

I also think that having articles that don't plunge fully into the 'ooooh, isn't that WEIRD?' but just skirt around the edges of it, are the best thing for keeping the magazine out there in the mainstream. As soon as things go too fully 'woo' you lose the casual reader who might just pick up the mag for a particularly interesting article about - oh, I dunno, airfields of Lincolnshire or the castles of Wales or summat.

I think there are a few comments above that should make the publishers sit up and think!

Heh. I love the art and literature stuff this month. I really enjoyed this issue. I'm glad they don't do themes that often though as it wouldn't be much fun if the theme didn't suit so i can understand this month's not being your favourite if that theme wasn't your thing. It wouldnt' be fair to do that too often and isolate people.

Back