• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT421

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
The latest issue has just popped through the door.

Cover article Driven Mad by the Great Sea Serpent by Chrles Paxton

A Warning to the Fortean

Atlantis at 100

Solar Storms

Oops - still haven't properly looked at the last issue on my Kindle. IHTM (which was pretty lightweight IIRC) and that's it.

"Searching for ET" on page six has an example of anomalous out-of-place wildlife: in the middle of an article about using radio telescopes to talk to the universe, there is the larger-print headline Monkeys killed at least 250 dogs in a sustained revenge campaign.

I wondered about the relevance of this to the search for ET... then realised. Could it be a formatting hangover? Somebody forgot to overtype the headline appearing in the same place in last month's FT? I vaguely recall an article about angry M-words in India ganging up on dogs.

Mine arrived yesterday but I haven't opened it yet, still working my way through last month's edition.

Re monkey attacks on dogs - I've seen cows ganging up to chase and attack dogs, also horses will do the same (I had a horse that would try to stamp to death any small dog. He was fine with bigger ones though...). I wonder if dogs are seen as a universal threat.

I just noticed an interesting detail in the "Back From the Dead" feature on page 25. The story marked "Lady Lazarus" is about a Chinese woman who recovered after apparently dying from COVID-19 (once known as the Wuhan virus). The names of the undertakers who noticed she was still alive? Wu and Han.

Nominative determinism or bogus story?

I just noticed an interesting detail in the "Back From the Dead" feature on page 25. The story marked "Lady Lazarus" is about a Chinese woman who recovered after apparently dying from COVID-19 (once known as the Wuhan virus). The names of the undertakers who noticed she was still alive? Wu and Han.

Nominative determinism or bogus story?

Apparently, Wu is the 9th and Han the 28th commonest Chinese surname.

According to this list, the English equivalents would be Patel (!) and Hill.

maximus otter

Just reading the great sea serpent article and looking at the sketches of the sea serpent, I wonder if Dewar came across the giant squid.

Just reading the great sea serpent article and looking at the sketches of the sea serpent, I wonder if Dewar came across the giant squid.
I really should read the whole article before commenting lol. Though I am surprised that I've learned and retained enough information from this forum to actually come to the same conclusion as someone who has researched a specific topic.

Having just seen not the whole film but short episodes from the film She Will, I rediscovered FT421 shortly afterwards and thought to compare what I'd seen with the review (page 60) and I can report that Daniel King's review is pleasingly accurate and on point. Atmospheric movie, pretty good review. I was niggled by having seen the central actress Alice Krige somewhere else but I just couldn't place the role. (that's an uncomfortable position to be in, as any Fortean knows. You have to niggle at it until the right neurons are fired, and while the temptation is there to Google.... that's too easy...)

The previous roles DK cited were interesting, but no help. There was something else there, something which in an odd intangible way was also pertinent to the themes of this film. (Woman has double mastectomy after breast cancer and - as you can only partway understand - feels incomplete, traumatised, needing to recover from the ordeal of medical intervention after her body has been surgically altered).

That sensation of a woman who's just been through what really amounts to a medical machine clicked the right neurons into place and synapses fired. It also occurred to me that Daniel King may have deliberately chosen to omit any reference to the single role for which Alice Krige is most famous - the Borg Queen in one of the Star Trek movies.

Thinking about impersonally applied surgery delivered by a medical system with machine-like impersonal aspects to it, of the sort that leaves the recipient feeling invaded and incomplete.... the iconic scene in the Star Trek movie is of Alice Krige's upper body - head, shoulders, and detached spine - being removed from one body and transferred into another, while all the time she is conscious and delivering a long speech to the android Data concerning the inevitable victory of the Borg Collective, and about how Resistance is Futile.

This may, consciously or unconsciously, have been inspired casting for this movie.

Last edited:
Back