• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT422

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Latest issue has just arrived.

New paper stock for the cover, not glossy as previously.

Never Mind the Warlocks - d and d type book related to devil worship
Celluloid Curse - cursed movies
Spooklights
Oscar Wilde
2 pages IHTM

Ditto here. Looks like it may be a good issue. That will be tonight’s bed time reading

Latest issue has just arrived.

New paper stock for the cover, not glossy as previously.

Never Mind the Warlocks - d and d type book related to devil worship
Celluloid Curse - cursed movies
Spooklights
Oscar Wilde
2 pages IHTM
Cursed movies! There's a great sounding article!

A great sounding article indeed....

Damn, I just knew when I set up this page on TV Tropes (and wrote maybe 90% of it) that I should have done it for money as well as love, and maybe submitted it to FT first....

The Production Curse (July 30th 2015)

Appreciated the page on psychedelic medicine. Surely its self evident that its the psychedelic experience itself that triggers new ways of thinking and hence repairing "bad thinking" in depression and other mental problems? Not everything can be reduced to an easily tablet-able big pharma product.

As someone with at times quite severe clinical depression (and taking the society acceptable drugs for it to little long tern benefit), I would love to be given the opportunity to experience the "evils" of such plants, if only we were not stuck in such a conservative (small c ...) lemon-sucking social system.

Appreciated the page on psychedelic medicine. Surely its self evident that its the psychedelic experience itself that triggers new ways of thinking and hence repairing "bad thinking" in depression and other mental problems? Not everything can be reduced to an easily tablet-able big pharma product.

As someone with at times quite severe clinical depression (and taking the society acceptable drugs for it to little long tern benefit), I would love to be given the opportunity to experience the "evils" of such plants, if only we were not stuck in such a conservative (small c ...) lemon-sucking social system.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. :hoff:

While it's known that psilocybin (for example) can cause lasting effects (never mind the immediate effects for the moment) to a person, specifically, it appears to permanently change people's open-mindedness (literally permanent changes to the FFM character trait 'Openness to experience', which is characterised as 'open to new ideas'), not nearly enough is known about the mechanisms and variability of it's effects.

For every self reported 'cure' there are very likely one or two people unaffected or made far worse.

I agree that the counter-culture that started the whole thing going made it a taboo subject for along time, this has hindered serious study.

On the wiki page on 'Openness to experience'...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openness_to_experience

...there's a whole list of personality aspects that are correlated to greater and less degrees with this trait - the problem might be that one's current mental (trait) make-up might be one of the variables (along with dose size) that contribute to overall affects for good or ill.

So, for example, giving a dose of size 'x' to someone already very high in FFM openness (or one of it's facets) might unmoor them form reality, whereas a less open person on the same does might gain a clinical benefit. And so on.

Given that, anecdotally at least, this is (assuming we are dealing with a single active substance) a substance that can cause terrible and lasting permeant affects as well, so I'd suggest that the right thing to so (once the new-age associations are out of the road) is to proceed very carefully and slowly.

I'd add that, it seems only lately have the psychology profession got around to properly acknowledging the difference between pathological mental health, that which is little affect by one's current life situation and 'situational' mental health conditions that would resolve if the sufferer had situational problems resolved (like getting a job, getting over loss etc).

Imagine presenting one of each 'type', outwardly manifesting the similar symptoms, for a clinical trial and giving them the same dose of drug 'x'? Yikes.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. :hoff:

While it's known that psilocybin (for example) can cause lasting effects (never mind the immediate effects for the moment) to a person, specifically, it appears to permanently change people's open-mindedness (literally permanent changes to the FFM character trait 'Openness to experience', which is characterised as 'open to new ideas'), not nearly enough is known about the mechanisms and variability of it's effects.

For every self reported 'cure' there are very likely one or two people unaffected or made far worse.

I agree that the counter-culture that started the whole thing going made it a taboo subject for along time, this has hindered serious study.

On the wiki page on 'Openness to experience'...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openness_to_experience

...there's a whole list of personality aspects that are correlated to greater and less degrees with this trait - the problem might be that one's current mental (trait) make-up might be one of the variables (along with dose size) that contribute to overall affects for good or ill.

So, for example, giving a dose of size 'x' to someone already very high in FFM openness (or one of it's facets) might unmoor them form reality, whereas a less open person on the same does might gain a clinical benefit. And so on.

Given that, anecdotally at least, this is (assuming we are dealing with a single active substance) a substance that can cause terrible and lasting permeant affects as well, so I'd suggest that the right thing to so (once the new-age associations are out of the road) is to proceed very carefully and slowly.

I'd add that, it seems only lately have the psychology profession got around to properly acknowledging the difference between pathological mental health, that which is little affect by one's current life situation and 'situational' mental health conditions that would resolve if the sufferer had situational problems resolved (like getting a job, getting over loss etc).

Imagine presenting one of each 'type', outwardly manifesting the similar symptoms, for a clinical trial and giving them the same dose of drug 'x'? Yikes.
What a well ordered (unlike my usuals!) reply - very interesting and great points - i especially like the pathological/situational distinction.

Thank you @Coal for that, appreciated.

my copy arrived at the start of the week. I've not yet had the time to dive in to it

I am now seven issues behind.

I have some of all seven issues and mostly read the earliest of those seven.

I go to the funnies/short stuff first - as I am infantile and have an increasingly short attention sp

I am now seven issues behind.

I have some of all seven issues and mostly read the earliest of those seven.

I go to the funnies/short stuff first - as I am infantile and have an increasingly short attention sp
I am pretty much the same. I pick through all the small stuff first, the reviews, letters, IHTM etc - then work up to the longer articles. I save the crossword for last. Oh hang on... in this reality, FT has no crossword. Sorry, forgot where I was for a moment.

In Jenny Randles column/page she is seems to be saying, a priori, that the Rendlesham incident actually had something "paranormal" there and that it was people from the future? Is that right? Has she gone bonkers or have I?

In Jenny Randles column/page she is seems to be saying, a priori, that the Rendlesham incident actually had something "paranormal" there and that it was people from the future? Is that right? Has she gone bonkers or have I?
No, she is presenting a hypothetical that UFO’s could be time travellers.

A bit of both? ;) I mean, she might be merely relating the theory that is 'out there' but does she subscribe to the concept?
In my experience of reading Jenny Randles' articles and books, she does tend to keep an admirably open-minded approach to things. Her column in FT is always worth reading and one of my favourite regulars.

I find her column a bit hit and miss, myself. Each to their own ...

I find her column a bit hit and miss, myself. Each to their own ...
Well yes, of course it varies a bit. Can't be easy to write a regular column every month and hit the target every time. But I find it usually provides some food for thought. I've just read her column in FT424 which riffs on Kate Bush, "Stranger Things" and the 1977 'Wow!' signal from space, nicely knitted together in a minor classic.

Back