FT423

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
In the course of work i speak to people from all over the British Isles. The calls come randomly and could come from anywhere. The second last call yesterday was from a place called Calvine in Scotland. (Nothing remarkable about that and the call was routine). Came home. FT was ready for me in its white envelope. Opened it up. Looked at the cover....

oxo66

Devoted Cultist
Mine's arrived today.
We're back with glossy paper for the cover: so perhaps last month was a one-off?

AgProv

Mine's arrived today.
We're back with glossy paper for the cover: so perhaps last month was a one-off?
I've noticed this wasn't just the FT. Herself gets the Sunday Express (I know. But you have to expose yourself to ideas and world-views you do not agree with) and for a month or two, their Sunday magazine dropped the glossy cover, citing "supply issues" (they're back to glossy now). So that special paper that's impregnated with china clay, or whatever it is, is being held up at dover or something?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Latest has just arrived.

Cover story is the Calvine UFO
Also
The Shelley Mysteries
Rob Gandy finishes his Lincolnshire tales
Tamam Shud
Mine dropped through the letter box very late for a Saturday. I expect postie is working overtime to clear the backlog from when he was on strike.

Looking forward to the Calvine UFO write up as it has trended on a few podcasts recently.

AgProv

The bit about "Father Dougal" presenting a scholarly TV show on early Irish history was interesting.I really want to see this: my exposure is limited to the fantasy artwork of Jim Fitzpatrick and the music of the Horslips....

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
The bit about "Father Dougal" presenting a scholarly TV show on early Irish history was interesting.I really want to see this: my exposure is limited to the fantasy artwork of Jim Fitzpatrick and the music of the Horslips....
It's genuinely fascinating, and still available on iPlayer. It's as much about the political spin placed upon it depending on the side of the border in question.

AgProv

Ardhal O'Hanlon, of course. Couldn't recall the name last night. Anyway - and I'm aware ramonmercado is likely to know a thousand time more than I do about this - that one of the "foundation myths" is that Ireland was settled by refugees who incredibly escaped the Greek sack of Troy and even more incredibly managed to cross Europe, or get ships and sail round, until they found a new land to call Home. Except that Ireland was under the thrall of a race of giant primordial trolls with no table manners, called Fomorians, who held the Land in occupation. The expat Trojans had to fight for it. Jim Fitzpatrick presents a version of this myth in The Book of Conquests, except that he appears to conflate elements of several mythological cycles and presents the Fomorians as being recognisably human. And the artwork is magnificent... albeit historically suspect. But who cares... this is myth. And not just any old myth, Irish mythology!
1662299392223.png

Okarin

Junior Acolyte
Interesting update on the ID of the Sommerton man. I had meant to read more about this having stumbled upon it years ago but then life got in the way and it got forgotten so the update was pleasant surprise