• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT426

Bah! you beat me by 20 mins.

Besides the festive content there are two forum-relevant pieces: Stu Neville interviews Lionel Fanthorpe for his review of the Fortean TV boxset, and Lord Lucan pops up in Strange Days

oxo

Mine has just dropped through the letterbox.
Very welcome as I’m laid up with a viral infection and getting mightily bored.

Besides the festive content there are two forum-relevant pieces: Stu Neville interviews Lionel Fanthorpe for his review of the Fortean TV boxset, and Lord Lucan pops up in Strange Days

oxo
Stu Neville and Lionel Fanthorpe? Be still my beating heart.

Get well soon, @Tempest63

First random thought: the advert on page 53 for a Fortean show on something called "Nub TV".

The background in grey lettering on black highlights various Fortean things by name. Only... at first glance, the one to top right read as "ORK ISLAND".

It's "Oak Island", of course, the money pit. But that got me thinking. Given the spelling, have the otherwise wholly fictional antagonist race from Warhammer 40,000 taken shape and form and made their way into our world?

Or else, have the Ur-race, Tolkien's Orcs, shown up on the former Middle Earth and are grouping on a remote island somewhere?

Then the train of thought was.... the idea of a race of humanoid goblins, inimical to the human race, has resonated on human minds since Tolkien shaped them in that form. Could it be possible for things to be invented for fiction and then manifest in the world, with the hive-mind of all those readers - and those who saw the films - calling them into being? Especially since Tolkien was drawing on mythology and folklore to shape them that way...

It was an interesting thought. I was dissapointed when that "R" reshaped itself as an "A" and I thought... "Oh. OAK island. Where people lost fortunes seeking a possibly mythical fortune allegedly buried there..." not so interesting, alas.

(And... Warhammer 40K. There's something else that got the evangelicals wanting to cast it on a bonfire...)

oxo

I'm topless on page three.

Interesting line of inquiry: FT 331 reported on the increasing aggression of seagulls and a rise in the frequency of mob attacks by seagulls on people and other animals. This was followed up with letters in FT334. And in the current edition, we have the chap looking for the elf-Church in Iceland, gets stranded, takes a short-cut cross-country - and then relates a first person account of being mobbed by seagulls.

My copy of the Christmas issue arrived today. Now if the missing issues of my subscription could arrive, I might actually renew my subscription....

My copy of the Christmas issue arrived today. Now if the missing issues of my subscription could arrive, I might actually renew my subscription....
Merry Christmas, Dinobot!

Screenshot_20230322-091159_Google.jpg

Back