• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Funeral Strangeness (IHTM)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Of Phones and Funerals . . .

The requiem mass for my late Uncle a few days ago had a moment of high solemnity as the coffin was sprinkled with holy water and fumigated with incense. The silence was rudely interrupted by a mobile phone blaring out the opening of the Mozart 40th. The owner seemed to make repeated flustered attempts to mute it before eventually retreating outside.

I resisted the urge to turn and see who the culprit was. Now I can imagine a lot of tasteless tunes that would have made a better story but phone tones are intrinsically vile and that Mozart tune makes a very irksome sound-bite at the best of times. It is usually characterized as restless so the sounds of a rotating late uncle would not have surprised me greatly. As it was he suffered the indignity in silence. :(

I went to a funeral last week, of a man I knew but wasn't close to. It was held at the crem and incidentally presided over by a chap for whom I once sourced a pet dog. (Long story.)

Anyway... it was a totally unreligious event, with some pop songs and poetry reading, and a little about the man himself.
He apparently liked a smoke or two and a fiver on the 'orses.
(Rumour has it there were ganja leaves in his coffin wreath. I visited the flowers today but didn't see any. Long gone!)

So no praying or hymns, just a very personal service about a man whose family loved him and supported him in his final illness.

I sometimes got involved in burials some were hilarious "a good funeral is better than a bad wedding"
though I am not keen on either, one stands out were the coffin was opened at the graveside
the corpse dressed in his sunday best had a gold watch and chain the watch was removed
wound up set and put back before the coffin was lowered into the grave.

As per the story in this thread

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/foresight-dreams.65936/#post-1881325

I attended the funeral yesterday. The lady who's funeral it was had a long standing love of Jack Russell terriers. as her four sons carried the coffin to the altar at the church they were followed by a dog of that breed, they placed the coffin at the front of the church and the little dog went up the stairs and sat at the priest's feet while he began his eulogy.

when he'd finished the dog arose, walked down the aisle and out of the church, it's demeanour was calm, confident and even jaunty. Talking to friends and family of the deceased afterwards it turned out that no-one knew where the dog came from or where it went afterwards.

Once again co-incidence is the obvious Occam style answer but I'll just put this out there, that's two coincidences involved in this situation, one obviously very distressing and the other strangely uplifting.

I went to the funeral of a friend of the wife, now I did not like her so dropped the wife off and
sat on the car park, now this couple always had birds about, they used to rescue raptors and
allsorts of other birds, sitting there and out of nowhere walkes a chicken, I was on the point of
picking it up and going with it to stand at the back of the church when the doors opened and
they all came out, a few days after I saw the husband and told him what had happened and
that I was just going to walk in with the cluck, he said "you should have done, it only wanted
to say goodby".

As per the story in this thread

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/foresight-dreams.65936/#post-1881325

I attended the funeral yesterday. The lady who's funeral it was had a long standing love of Jack Russell terriers. as her four sons carried the coffin to the altar at the church they were followed by a dog of that breed, they placed the coffin at the front of the church and the little dog went up the stairs and sat at the priest's feet while he began his eulogy.

when he'd finished the dog arose, walked down the aisle and out of the church, it's demeanour was calm, confident and even jaunty. Talking to friends and family of the deceased afterwards it turned out that no-one knew where the dog came from or where it went afterwards.

Once again co-incidence is the obvious Occam style answer but I'll just put this out there, that's two coincidences involved in this situation, one obviously very distressing and the other strangely uplifting.
This is incredible, did anyone know who the dog belonged to or where it went? Sounds like the most uplifting thing at such a sad time

What a lovely thing to happen Mouldy13! Very uplifting! Who knows why these things occur but we don't need to know the answer just take the 'wow' and enjoy!

Sollywos x

Back