• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Funeral Tie Premonitions

TheBeast17

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Before my connection dies completely I was reminded of something that happened a good few years ago, and is still happening.

I am still close to my ex and, although she now lives in Nottingham, I still visit her parents (an odd setup I know but what the hell).

While I was having a coffee with them the other day her mum said that a friend of theirs had died a few days ago. Before I could say anything she continued with 'and before you ask, yes the ties came out'.

This was something I had completely forgotten about.

About 4 years ago while tidying up Janet (my ex's mum) opened the wardrobe in her bedroom and a black funeral tie fell out. She picked it up and put it away again and thought nothing of it. About a week later they got a call to say that someone they knew from the pub had died. They duly went to the funeral, and when they came back Janet put all the black ties back in the wardrobe.

A couple of months later while cleaning the house she opened the wardrobe and hey presto! the ties fell out again. They got a call about 3 weeks later to say that Janet's mum had died.

This keeps happening.

Everytime the ties fall out someone dies within a few weeks. It sounds slightly more sinister than it actually is as no-one gets murdered, or has a bad car accident they either die of old age, or cancer, or a heart attack, yet it's still spooky.

At one stage, the year my ex and I broke up, she took to tying the ties onto the wardrobe rail so they couldn't fall out. Foolproof, yes? No. While getting ready to go out for the night she pulled a dress out of the wardrobe and got the hanger caught on the tie, which undid itself (not supernaturally, it was tied in a bow) and was dragged out of the wardrobe. Someone they met while on holiday died the same week.

Someone will be reading this and thinking that I've made it all up because it seems like a big thing to forget about, especially as I'm a member of this kind of forum. But it became such a part of everyday living that it didn't seem strange. It was just one of those things.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

That is spooky. Never had anything like that.

Would suggest a staple gun to keep the ties in! See if you can cheat death :)

I was going to suggest some Superglue . . . or putting the ties in a box in the loft!

Carole

I have a similar deal going on when i go on holiday.

I can think of a few examples of famous people dying when i'm on holiday. Benny Hill when i was in Tenerife and "Princess"(?) Diana when i was in bennidorm. There are others but they are the two that leap to mind.

I now spend quite a bit of time on holiday perusing the obituaries.

Is it just bad luck or should i stay home more?:confused:

Don't put the ties in the loft. When they fall out of the wardrobe you can just about explain that away through the laws of chance and coincidence. But when they make their own way down from the loft and suddenly appear.....aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh

Aristocratic Irish families rely on the bean sighe for death announcements. We in the cheap seats make do with the economy version. I've heard of birds flying into kitchens as portents of death in certain families and lights shining in rooms at night in others. (Brrr.)

A West Indian friend of mine had several sisters and when they were all having families would pass round maternity clothes. Their mother kept these for them and without fail, when one suspected she was preggy, she'd visit her mother and there would be the tent-frocks, all washed and pressed ready for her. Ma would say, 'You're expecting. I knew, I dreamed of fish!'

The dresses were never brought out like this until one of the sisters reached that '..... erm, wait a minute, how many weeks again.....' stage, and she was never wrong. Fish though?

Several members of my mothers family have had similar experiences.

On one occasion in my grandma's house a picture of the crucifixion fell from the wall above the sideboard and took a statuette of Blessed Virgin Mary with it. Both fell to the floor face down, neither was damaged. Two hours later a telegram arrived announcing the death of Uncle Paddy.

On another occasion (different house) a framed photograph, one of many fell from a small table. The following day, a phone call announcing another death.

I had a strange experience when my father died which makes me think i may have inherited this phenomena. I was driving to work one monday morning when a very large black bird (not crow or blackbird) flew out of a fir tree situated in a field on the opposite side of the carriageway (i was on M54). It flew over my car, back across the carriageway and settled back in the same tree. Almost exactly the same scenario happened on the way home that night and on the way to work on the Tuesday morning.
When i got home on Tuesday night, there was a message on the answerphone asking me to ring my sister-in-law.
The news was that my father died sometime during the monday night and was found on the tuesday morning.
Almost to disprove the theory, i looked for some sign of the bird during my journeys to work following the funeral. I never saw it or anything like it again.

In the rural community where I grew up, it was very
common for clocks to stop or animals to behave strangely
when a neighbor died. It was always mentioned -- but
never discussed.

I'm sure it would have freaked out too many of the
children if it was a topic of conversation.
(But I always listened in enough to hear that it DID happen!)

TVgeek

Oh no, I believe you. I think it would be easy for an extraordinary phenomenom such as this to become so commonplace that it would slip one's mind.

What I don't understand is, if they think people die when the tie falls out, why do they put it back every time it falls out?

Giving this a
:sbump:

because I found it when looking for something else.

It could be added to a Death Portents thread which I seem to remember we have.

My own garment-related portent is the Funeral Frock, a long fully-lined Laura Ashley number in a sombre dark print worn with a black beaded cardigan.
Where I live, when you take out the Funeral Frock (or possibly its masculine equivalent) it stays out for the next two funerals that will assuredly follow in short order. After three it's safe to put it away.

As I couldn't find an actual 'Death Premonitions' thread I'll plonk this down'ere.

I sometimes listen to The Murders at White House Farm, the 'companion podcast' to the HBO Max drama series of the same name.
It was made to expand on the background and characters around the murders; possibly, one assumes, mainly for the benefit of non-British viewers although it brings a lot of extra information in its own right.

As I'm normally drifting off to sleep I must miss a bit here and there. ;)

So I've only just heard Colin Caffell, father of the two child victims, describe how his twin sons drew pictures that one Greg Firth, a leading Jungian 'drawing analyst', later said showed that they knew they were going to die.

These drawings were made for Caffell's mother so he didn't see them until after the murders, and he says that if he had, even without a Jungian analysis they were so disturbing he wouldn't have let the boys go to the farm again.

Caffell expands on this in his book about the murders which I will order on Kindle and report back on.

Here's the episode on YouTube -

It's interesting all the way through but the talk about the pictures starts at 12:11.

Losing a child, whatever age and in any circumstances, is catastrophic. Colin Caffell's grief must have been dragged out for years; he couldn't even mourn in peace.
I am full of respect for his dignity.

As I couldn't find an actual 'Death Premonitions' thread I'll plonk this down'ere.

I sometimes listen to The Murders at White House Farm, the 'companion podcast' to the HBO Max drama series of the same name.
It was made to expand on the background and characters around the murders; possibly, one assumes, mainly for the benefit of non-British viewers although it brings a lot of extra information in its own right.

As I'm normally drifting off to sleep I must miss a bit here and there. ;)

So I've only just heard Colin Caffell, father of the two child victims, describe how his twin sons drew pictures that one Greg Firth, a leading Jungian 'drawing analyst', later said showed that they knew they were going to die.

These drawings were made for Caffell's mother so he didn't see them until after the murders, and he says that if he had, even without a Jungian analysis they were so disturbing he wouldn't have let the boys go to the farm again.

Caffell expands on this in his book about the murders which I will order on Kindle and report back on.

Here's the episode on YouTube -

It's interesting all the way through but the talk about the pictures starts at 12:11.

Losing a child, whatever age and in any circumstances, is catastrophic. Colin Caffell's grief must have been dragged out for years; he couldn't even mourn in peace.
I am full of respect for his dignity.
I posted this exactly a year ago, ooer.
It's also the day of a family funeral where I should be wearing my funeral frock, mentioned a couple of posts up.

This thread reminded me of my late mother-in-law, a lovely lady. She was, unusually, a fair-haired Guatemalan who burnt easily in too much sun, from a Guatemalan village that was historically referred to as a "pueblo de españoles" (Spanish town) as opposed to a "pueblo de indios" (Indian town - a village of Maya Indians) - indicating that it was established by Spanish colonists soon after the Spanish conquest; the people from that village are of predominantly Spanish descent with limited mixing with the local Maya, whom they looked down on to a certain extent. Now, whenever there was going to be a death in the family, my mother-in-law used to dream of a pure white horse galloping across meadowland, and whenever she had that dream she knew that bad news was coming. I always wondered if it was linked to her Spanish heritage somehow.

Last edited:
This thread reminded me of my late mother-in-law, a lovely lady. She was, unusually, a fair-haired Guatemalan who burnt easily in too much sun, from a Guatemalan village that was historically referred to as a "pueblo de españoles" (Spanish town) as opposed to a "pueblo de indios" (Indian town - a village of Maya indians) - indicating that it was established by Spanish colonists soon after the Spanish conquest; the people from that village are of predominantly Spanish descent with limited mixing with the local Maya, whom they looked down on to a certain extent. Now, whenever there was going to be a death in the family, my mother-in-law used to dream of a pure white horse galloping across meadowland, and whenever she had that dream she knew that bad news was coming. I always wondered if it was linked to her Spanish heritage somehow.
The mother of a West Indian family who were neighbours of mine would know when one of her several daughters was pregnant because she'd dream of fish.

She was always right, often when the daughter was still counting and thinking 'Hold on...'

Back