• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Funny And/Or Weird Happenings Whilst Drunk (Stoned; Tripping; Etc.)

Not inebriated as such, but I have had numerous testings of the old conundrum: does weird stuff happen to you when you are tripping, or is just that you are tripping.

Many years ago during my misspent youth, a group of us, about 8 or 10, had some stuff that rhymes with Ellesse Tea.

We had spent the morning, in glorious sunshine, wandering about a public park just enjoying life, the flowers and probably talking utter bollocks.

After a while we decided we were hungry and thirsty, but all still full of the joys.

We were walking in a group, arm in arm towards the main exit, along a path as wide as a street.

Suddenly, a leather coat wearing skinhead runs up to one of our number and says:
"Hey Dave, you wanna buy a shoe?"

The chap pulls a brand new trainer from under his coat, proffering to the now somewhat startled Dave.

Our assembled number immediately began to lose the thread of joy we had woven between us, and our mood crumbled under the onslaught of reality.

Dave, to his credit stated: "No. Fuckoff, I'm tripping."

Alas, the damage was done. A few of us were brave enough to grab some water and pop from the Centra on the corner, along with some hastily chosen munchies, and we retired to the safety of a basement flat, to amuse ourselves with trinkets and kaleidoscopes, troubled by the harsh stare of the unforgiving world.

So, I suppose, in that instance, yes – weird shit happens when you are tripping.

Apologies for thread drift.

Not inebriated as such, but I have had numerous testings of the old conundrum: does weird stuff happen to you when you are tripping, or is just that you are tripping.

Many years ago during my misspent youth, a group of us, about 8 or 10, had some stuff that rhymes with Ellesse Tea.

We had spent the morning, in glorious sunshine, wandering about a public park just enjoying life, the flowers and probably talking utter bollocks.

After a while we decided we were hungry and thirsty, but all still full of the joys.

We were walking in a group, arm in arm towards the main exit, along a path as wide as a street.

Suddenly, a leather coat wearing skinhead runs up to one of our number and says:

The chap pulls a brand new trainer from under his coat, proffering to the now somewhat startled Dave.

Our assembled number immediately began to lose the thread of joy we had woven between us, and our mood crumbled under the onslaught of reality.

Alas, the damage was done. A few of us were brave enough to grab some water and pop from the Centra on the corner, along with some hastily chosen munchies, and we retired to the safety of a basement flat, to amuse ourselves with trinkets and kaleidoscopes, troubled by the harsh stare of the unforgiving world.

So, I suppose, in that instance, yes – weird shit happens when you are tripping.

I remember many moons ago some mates and I were tripping on mushrooms, it was about 3am and we were tired from walking for what seemed like miles along a random road, when we came across a large sofa, just there where we needed it, in the middle of nowhere, so we sat down on the sofa until sunrise enjoying our trip.

Was it actually a trainer or @Nosmo King's giant Croc? :rollingw:

I once found a trainer with 'House of Pain' emblazoned on it when I was very drunk with some mates, only the one mind you, we were stopped by a local drugstable because we were cocking around and very drunk and I tried to convince him it was a genuine signed shoe from 'House of Pain'

One of our friends when young was a trainee chef. We were about 17yrs old. Having a block of cannabis resin around (before the current switch back in trend for weed) we decided to make a loaded cake.

It took forever for the cake to bake as we kept opening the oven door checking it. Once ready we shared it between the 4 of us and waited. and Waited. We had stuck LOADS in this cake and an hour goes by and nothing happened. We got bored and went off on a bus to one of our friends girlfriends house about 4 miles away. After another hour at said girls house things were starting to take effect. I've never had such a trip on Cannabis in my life. We walked home chatting rubbish and the weird thing is none of us have absolutely any recollection how we got home that night. We had to cross quite a few very busy roads. Last thing I remember is laid in bed giggling to myself with the room spinning and pulsating.

One of the best nights.. hahaha

I remember many moons ago some mates and I were tripping on mushrooms, it was about 3am and we were tired from walking for what seemed like miles along a random road, when we came across a large sofa, just there where we needed it, in the middle of nowhere, so we sat down on the sofa until sunrise enjoying our trip.
Me and a mate were walking down a deserted country lane tripping one night when I distinctly heard the sound of a baby crying in the dark field next to us. I got a bit freaked and told my mate we needed to go and investigate until he explained that it was just the sound of a chicken straining to lay an egg.

One of our friends when young was a trainee chef. We were about 17yrs old. Having a block of cannabis resin around (before the current switch back in trend for weed) we decided to make a loaded cake.

It took forever for the cake to bake as we kept opening the oven door checking it. Once ready we shared it between the 4 of us and waited. and Waited. We had stuck LOADS in this cake and an hour goes by and nothing happened. We got bored and went off on a bus to one of our friends girlfriends house about 4 miles away. After another hour at said girls house things were starting to take effect. I've never had such a trip on Cannabis in my life. We walked home chatting rubbish and the weird thing is none of us have absolutely any recollection how we got home that night. We had to cross quite a few very busy roads. Last thing I remember is laid in bed giggling to myself with the room spinning and pulsating.

One of the best nights.. hahaha

I'm one of those people that has psychedelic experiences on weed, especially today's strong strains, which is part of the reason I don't partake anymore. Once in the 90s the bf at the time and I smoked some questionable variety we'd gotten from a friend-of-a-friend and ended up sitting on my parents' porch complaining that everything had gone "pixelated".

When I was at uni a bunch of us were out wandering the fields between Farnborough and Aldershot late at night, in various stages of inebriation.

It might have been fresher's week, it was definitely very early in our time there, so none of us knew each other very well but there was one chap (let's call him Fred) who was definitely on something stronger than cheap beer from the Union bar.

We were stopped by an armed patrol (as is usual in those parts for late night rompers), and while most of us were busy apologising politely and profusely, and sweating heavily as these guys had proper guns, Fred was staring wistfully into the distance.

"Excuse me soldier, as we're in the vicinity of the home of the British Army and surrounded by the fabric of history itself, could one of you fine fellows please explain some of the architecture to us? For example, what is that mighty edifice looming over the trees just on the horizon? A military hospital? A museum? Wellington's mausoleum?"

"Tesco's mate."

The one connection i make between drunkenness and things fortean is FT's mythconceptions column debunking the near universal trope/sneer about witnesses to strange things having been drunk at the time...by pointing out the obvious but somehow unnoticed fact that being pissed does not generally induce hallucinations.
True, but an inebriated person can easily misconstrue things in a bizarre way.

I'm having a faint memory here of a man swearing he saw a centaur in a field watching him.
It was in fact another drunk, shirtless, sitting on a horse that was still nonchalantly grazing. :chuckle:

I'm having a faint memory here of a man swearing he saw a centaur in a field watching him.
It was in fact another drunk, shirtless, sitting on a horse that was still nonchalantly grazing. :chuckle:
Quite normal for Crewe. - A friend of mine and his friends went out in Crewe one night after eating some mushrooms. They were in a pub and just as they were starting to kick in, a rabbit, tortoise and Maid Marion suddenly appeared to them. It was just some people in fancy dress collecting for their own pockets charity of course, but I can imagine they nearly crapped themselves.

Quite normal for Crewe. - A friend of mine and his friends went out in Crewe one night after eating some mushrooms. They were in a pub and just as they were starting to kick in, a rabbit, tortoise and Maid Marion suddenly appeared to them. It was just some people in fancy dress collecting for their own pockets charity of course, but I can imagine they nearly crapped themselves.
That'd be the previously notorious Imperial, where the Get-Your-Own-Back-Plate used to be. :chuckle:

Last edited:
I vaguely remember, many years ago reading/seeing an interview with Lemmy where he shared an odd experience that he had after taking something that he probably shouldn’t have. I may have some of the detail wrong as it was years ago when I heard it, but the gist of it went something like this.

He was living in a squat somewhere in London in the early 70’s and was sat in the main room with a few ‘housemates’ watching telly. All of a sudden the telly went dead. No signal, no sound. Lemmy knew where there was a TV repair shop so volunteered to take the telly to be fixed…on foot. He began to carry the TV down the street and immediately regretted offering to do this because it was so heavy! He was having to stop every few meters to catch his breath, and after walking on for a while with this tv in his arms he spotted a bench a decided to have a little rest.

After a short while he carried on with his journey, struggling with this old heavy TV, and eventually arrived at the TV repair shop, very hot and very tired. He placed the TV on the counter and as he got his breath back he began to tell the repair man what had happened to the telly. The shopkeeper stared at him for a while before asking Lemmy where the tv was and he’d check it over. Lemmy looked down at the counter and…no telly. Immediately panicking, he suspected he’d left it beside the bench he’d rested on earlier so ran back up the street, only to find a lonely bench and no TV. He started to make his way home, trying to work out how he’d explain to his housemates that the TV had been lost/stolen. He walked into the house and into the living room….only to see the TV in the corner of the room working perfectly!!! Confused to say the least, his friends asked where he’d been for so long and confirmed the TV hadn’t left the room!!

I vaguely remember, many years ago reading/seeing an interview with Lemmy where he shared an odd experience that he had after taking something that he probably shouldn’t have. I may have some of the detail wrong as it was years ago when I heard it, but the gist of it went something like this.

He was living in a squat somewhere in London in the early 70’s and was sat in the main room with a few ‘housemates’ watching telly. All of a sudden the telly went dead. No signal, no sound. Lemmy knew where there was a TV repair shop so volunteered to take the telly to be fixed…on foot. He began to carry the TV down the street and immediately regretted offering to do this because it was so heavy! He was having to stop every few meters to catch his breath, and after walking on for a while with this tv in his arms he spotted a bench a decided to have a little rest.

After a short while he carried on with his journey, struggling with this old heavy TV, and eventually arrived at the TV repair shop, very hot and very tired. He placed the TV on the counter and as he got his breath back he began to tell the repair man what had happened to the telly. The shopkeeper stared at him for a while before asking Lemmy where the tv was and he’d check it over. Lemmy looked down at the counter and…no telly. Immediately panicking, he suspected he’d left it beside the bench he’d rested on earlier so ran back up the street, only to find a lonely bench and no TV. He started to make his way home, trying to work out how he’d explain to his housemates that the TV had been lost/stolen. He walked into the house and into the living room….only to see the TV in the corner of the room working perfectly!!! Confused to say the least, his friends asked where he’d been for so long and confirmed the TV hadn’t left the room!!
Priceless! :chuckle:

Someone I knew dropped acid on Xmas day and enjoyed a convivial family celebration until the turkey jumped off the table and ran off.

Dave gallantly gave chase, rugby-tackling the bird just as it cleared the dining room door.

The door was in fact closed and Dave collided with it headfirst.

A bloke I knew years ago had a story of a group of them walking home whilst tripping, one of them found a £20 note en route, was highly delighted - 20 quid being quite a lot of money at the time - this would’ve been early 70s - & put it in his wallet.

He got home went to sleep & when he got up next day he found a leaf in his wallet.

I was at a party many years ago, Someone who had been brought along by another one of the guests started sleep walking (everyone was on the floor sleeping). He took all his clothes off and peed in the corner.

My sister cleared up after him and put him on the couch with a sleeping bag over him. God knows what he thought when he woke up sky clad in the morning surrounded by strangers, I’m surprised he didn’t call the police.

A bloke I knew years ago had a story of a group of them walking home whilst tripping, one of them found a £20 note en route, was highly delighted - 20 quid being quite a lot of money at the time - this would’ve been early 70s - & put it in his wallet.

He got home went to sleep & when he got up next day he found a leaf in his wallet.

The gold of the Gentry is noted for turning into leaves in the morning! :omg:

Wasn't it supposed to be fairy gold that turned into leaves?

I think our British fascination with alcohol stems from a deep unhappiness with real life - an ingrained pessimism exasperated by the bad weather on a rain drenched island. Genuinely I do. I have thought about this in depth having worked with selling alcohol for many years in the UK and Europe. I think we are down trodden, broken and expect more of the worst to come.

I think we use any social occassion as an excuse to drink alcohol and enjoy the escapism it provides. It's part of our culture to consume alcohol at every social occassion. It helps you to forget all about your shitty council house on a shitty estate. To forget standing in the freezing rain waiting for another delayed or cancelled train. To forget the job you hate doing for a boss you can't stand. At home, the TV provides brief escapism (all that Celebrity in the jungle bollocks) but sooner of later you'll be listening to politicians spouting lies whilst the newspapers try to get you to top yourself with all their doom and gloom. But alcohol is a quick, cheap, socially acceptable and legal way to make it all go away. So we get hammered. Often. And forget about it all.

People in milder, more outdoor friendly climates enjoy sitting outside each night chatting and eating. A glass of wine is consumed as part of the evening out, not the reason for going out. I think the climate makes them generally happier, healthier and more full of optimism - the sun is shining after all. It's a lot easier waiting in the sunshine for a delayed bus. You boss is happier, you are happier. You get more freah air. Every wall and brick building does not have a cover of moss, green algae or litchen. It's not damp all the time. You can sleep with a warm breeze coming in through the bedroom window. The rest of the population are happier and not whining at each other all the time.

I know which one of those two scenarios would drive me to drink.
I have often thought about this and agree with all you say, but I still think there is more to it.

For example, Northern France has a similar climate to ours but they do not consume more alcohol than the warmer parts or get blind drunk and stagger about the streets.

Also, I was talking to a Brazilian man about this very subject, (and while he admitted that Brazil has plenty of other problems) he told me that to be drunk in the street/public area there, is just not considered the 'cool' thing to do.

Also family plays a big part of things too. Mediterranean countries (for eg) are very family orientated and to act that way would be considered to be bringing shame onto the family.

I have often thought about this and agree with all you say, but I still think there is more to it.

For example, Northern France has a similar climate to ours but they do not consume more alcohol than the warmer parts or get blind drunk and stagger about the streets.

Also, I was talking to a Brazilian man about this very subject, (and while he admitted that Brazil has plenty of other problems) he told me that to be drunk in the street/public area there, is just not considered the 'cool' thing to do.

Also family plays a big part of things too. Mediterranean countries (for eg) are very family orientated and to act that way would be considered to be bringing shame onto the family.
Family orientated is one way to describe it. Given the choice between a couple of raucous hen parties and the systematic damage done by organised crime in places like Naples and Sicily I know what I’d prefer. And I imagine most inhabitants of the favelas would be happy to put up with nothing more challenging than a drunken teenager or two.

I’d suggest what we do have is a romanticised view of Europe. We don’t have a day to day physical connection, it’s easy to project an idea onto places that we either visit or deliberately choose to live in. This even extends to Scotland, I can imagine the comments if there were hoards of rats in Manchester.

Family orientated is one way to describe it. Given the choice between a couple of raucous hen parties and the systematic damage done by organised crime in places like Naples and Sicily I know what I’d prefer. And I imagine most inhabitants of the favelas would be happy to put up with nothing more challenging than a drunken teenager or two.

I’d suggest what we do have is a romanticised view of Europe. We don’t have a day to day physical connection, it’s easy to project an idea onto places that we either visit or deliberately choose to live in. This even extends to Scotland, I can imagine the comments if there were hoards of rats in Manchester.
Well, for a start it's not just "a couple of " raucous hen parties" and a "couple of troubled teenagers" is it? It's a serious problem that is/has turned many parts of our cities and market towns into hellholes, especially at the weekends. As for organised crime- you don't think it exists here? In any case, the fact that other countries have other problems is irrelevant to the OP's post about how alcohol is used to excess here while in many other countries it is not.

Well, for a start it's not just "a couple of " raucous hen parties" and a "couple of troubled teenagers" is it? It's a serious problem that is/has turned many parts of our cities and market towns into hellholes, especially at the weekends. As for organised crime- you don't think it exists here? In any case, the fact that other countries have other problems is irrelevant to the OP's post about how alcohol is used to excess here while in many other countries it is not.
it was you that introduced the experience of other countries into the discussion, I’m merely pointing out that the romanticised view many Brits have of these places is not based on reality

it was you that introduced the experience of other countries into the discussion, I’m merely pointing out that the romanticised view many Brits have of these places is not based on reality
Apologies, had to leave for a while;

If some Brits have a 'romanticised view' of other countries then that's their choice. There's not much I can do about that.

In the case of Brazil, no, I haven't been unfortunately, but I was speaking to a friend from there. ('City of God' is a good film if you want to see the Favelas in true light). The murder rates in Brazil are horrendous, 50,033 in 2020 with 6,416 people killed by the police (Reuters).
And yes, the Cosa Nostra and the Camorra have indeed caused untold misery in Sicily and Naples, respectively.

All I can say, is from my experience in foreign travel, (limited compared to most on here I would think), that the problems we have here concerning alcohol are not anywhere near as prevalent in some other countries where you can walk around day and night without the threat of violence/anti social behaviour/vandalism etc and the reasons for this (given by Ringo), are in my opinion, spot on.

Of course, it all depends on the geographic and financial situation you grew up in, so it's quite likely that your opinion may differ.

A 'hen party' staggering around out of their heads and throwing up in the street or some drunk teenager who's angry with himself kicking the wing mirrors of a hard-working persons car or smashing up a bus shelter is not something I want to see, but hey, that's just me.

Apologies, had to leave for a while;

If some Brits have a 'romanticised view' of other countries then that's their choice. There's not much I can do about that.

In the case of Brazil, no, I haven't been unfortunately, but I was speaking to a friend from there. ('City of God' is a good film if you want to see the Favelas in true light). The murder rates in Brazil are horrendous, 50,033 in 2020 with 6,416 people killed by the police (Reuters).
And yes, the Cosa Nostra and the Camorra have indeed caused untold misery in Sicily and Naples, respectively.

All I can say, is from my experience in foreign travel, (limited compared to most on here I would think), that the problems we have here concerning alcohol are not anywhere near as prevalent in some other countries where you can walk around day and night without the threat of violence/anti social behaviour/vandalism etc and the reasons for this (given by Ringo), are in my opinion, spot on.
E
Of course, it all depends on the geographic and financial situation you grew up in, so it's quite likely that your opinion may differ.

A 'hen party' staggering around out of their heads and throwing up in the street or some drunk teenager who's angry with himself kicking the wing mirrors of a hard-working persons car or smashing up a bus shelter is not something I want to see, but hey, that's jus
Violence and disorder are hardly limited to the UK, comforting though that delusion might be. Anyone thinking that Mediterranean life is a peaceful and civilised nirvana would be advised to look at the behaviour of the Ultras in Italy, they make British hooligans look like the rank amateurs they are.

Back