• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Furries & Animal Wannabes

Well! As articles on the Fandom go, that one's actually pretty darn good! Funny, open, balanced, very well written.

And a suave, sharp-dressed wolf voiced by Sam Rockwell? Resistance, for many furries, was definitely futile! I know there are furries in the animation industry - hardly a surprise given how much a cornerstone of the fandom cartoons are - and I would be very surprised if there wasn't at least one involved in the creation of Mr Wolf.

Last edited:
Well! As articles on the Fandom go, that one's actually pretty darn good! Funny, open, balanced, very well written.

And a sauve, sharp-dressed wolf voiced by Sam Rockwell? Resistance, for many furries, was definitely futile! I know there are furries in the animation industry - hardly a surprise given how much a cornerstone of the fandom cartoons are - and I would be vey surprised if there wasn't at least one involved in the creation of Mr Wolf.

I loved that film!

This seems to be the most appropriate thread for this story ... A Japanese man desired to "become" a dog, so he paid to have a quite remarkable collie suit or costume made for himself. These are actual photos of the suit being worn (occupied?) ...

CollieSuit-A.jpeg

CollieSuit-B.jpg
Man fulfils dream of becoming a dog, pays 2 million yen

In another bizarre incident, a Japanese man fulfilled his dream of becoming a dog. And to look like a dog, he paid a large sum of money for a "life-sized" dog costume.

The man commissioned a professional agency named Zeppet and asked it to make him a costume of a Collie — which is a dog breed, NDTV reported.

The company took 40 days to make the costume and charged more than two million yen for it. ...

Talking about why he chose to become a collie, the man said: "I made it a collie because it looks real when I put it on. My favorite is quadrupedal animals, especially cute ones. Among them, I thought that a big animal close to me would be good, considering that it would be a realistic model, so I decided to make it a dog. Long-haired dogs can mislead the human figure. I met such a condition and made Collie, my favorite breed of dog."

Sharing the pictures on Twitter, the company said: "At the request of an individual, we made a dog modelling suit. Modelled after a collie dog, it reproduces the appearance of a real dog walking on four legs like a real dog." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.geo.tv/latest/418968-man-fulfils-dream-of-becoming-a-dog-pays-2-million-yen

Quad suits are a thing in the fandom, though very rare because they're a challenge and a half to make and thus extremely expensive (this fella actually paid, if the duckduckgo conversion is accurate, about the usual price for one) so very appropriate! Always show-stoppers, quads, and this one's no exception. :)

Zeppet and asked it to make him a costume of a Collie — which is a dog breed, NDTV reported.

Little
bit worried that NDTV had to report that 'collie' was a breed of dog. Maybe they don't get out much.

But that suit is a splendid piece of work.

Can't imagine how it would smell after a couple of days, mind you.

This seems to be the most appropriate thread for this story ... A Japanese man desired to "become" a dog, so he paid to have a quite remarkable collie suit or costume made for himself. These are actual photos of the suit being worn (occupied?) ...

FULL STORY: https://www.geo.tv/latest/418968-man-fulfils-dream-of-becoming-a-dog-pays-2-million-yen

The video at the link is worth seeing:

I still quibble that he certainly has not fulfilled his dream by 'becoming a dog', but he has managed something strangely impressive--except for, perhaps, the automaton-jaw.

I still quibble that he certainly has not fulfilled his dream by 'becoming a dog', but he has managed something strangely impressive--except for, perhaps, the automaton-jaw.
But can he poop on a pavement and get away with it? That's the final test.

Can't imagine how it would smell after a couple of days, mind you.

Fursuits are high maintenance. Most owners of one wear underarmour and a balaclava beneath them to minimise sweat getting into them, wash them thoroughly after every wearing, regularly brush them, and more. If Mr Dog isn't willing to commit to that level of care, or even higher given how elaborate his suit is, a stinky puppy will quite rapidly result, and the suit won't last very long.

I'd agree, but hard to imagine how he'd get closer without DNA manipulation moving on considerably. The suit's jaw is most likely pushed down when he opens his own mouth, an increasingly common mechanism, but one still in the process of refinement, for movement and comfort.

And if you think this is uncanny valley, just wait until some enterprising suit maker figures out how to incorporate mood-reactive headband ears (yes, a real thing, thanks to Japan) into one, or how to make a tail actually wag...

Yes, I'm nerding. Deal with it. :p

The Furries movement is a broad church , well sort of.

Religion News recently published a, uhhh, interesting article about Evangelical Christians within the Furry movement, such as those who belong to the Christian Furry Fellowship. Furrydom is a notoriously accepting and tolerant community … but given the associations between white American Evangelical Christians and homophobia, some of these Christian Furries are reportedly concerned that even their fur community has its limits:

Christians in the furry community are cautious about who knows about both their furry and faithful selves. Christian furries interviewed for this story, including leaders of the group that calls itself the Christian Furry Fellowship, asked to be anonymous, fearing "doxxing" from within the largely secular furry community for their Christian identity and ostracization from their professional lives for their furry hobby.
"My furry friendships are a blessing," said one CFF organizer with a red fox fursona who asked to be called "F." "And for that reason, I am sad to see so much grief within the fandom that could be helped by the knowledge of the Lord."

https://boingboing.net/2022/08/24/e...-are-scared-of-being-outed-as-homophobes.html

I saw that story yesterday and this question has bugged me ever since: Where do his feet go? Does he go about on his hands and knees? That can't be bearable or sustainable for any length of time.

I saw that story yesterday and this question has bugged me ever since: Where do his feet go? Does he go about on his hands and knees? That can't be bearable or sustainable for any length of time.

I never found any photos or diagrams illustrating how the man fits into the collie suit.

The forelimbs (man's arms) are pretty straightforward. Photos in which the costume's rear legs are shown sticking up / out indicate the rear "legs" are rigid. My guess is that the wearer's legs don't extend into the costume's rear legs at all. The costume's body length is sufficient to allow the wearer to tuck at least some portion of his legs into the central section.

It does seem like his legs are folded up and he's resting on his toes inside the suit, which surely isn't a position that can be sustained for long. His dream might soon become a nightmare of joint ache. Hard to be sure when the photos offer nothing to judge the scale of the suit against, mind.

For comparison, here's a little vid of how furry quadsuits usually work, which honestly can't be that much more comfortable:-

And just for funsies, have another little vid of a top-tier quad:-

Furries be crazy in the best way. :)

The world-infamous Folsom Street Fair was today, and of course my partner Racer and I went out to join our fellow perverts on parade. There were a lot more furries in the mix than we'd noticed in previous years--a lot of wolves and dogs and catwomen, of course (and also a lot of the leather dog mask men, who I think are into a different scene) but I saw a horse, a tiger, two different raccoons, and a fellow who must've been a yak, too. I spoke to a biped canid with yellow-brown tawny fur and a pointy snout and ears: I asked if s/he was a coyote, which was the wrong thing to ask I guess, because the canid person's negative gesture seemed a bit pissed off or feelings-hurt, even after I explained that I like coyotes and think they're pretty cool.

ETA: And s/he looked like a coyote, too, dammit!

Last edited:
Company which turned man into dog for £12,480 has made a more expensive wolf costume

A company has created a hyper-realistic wolf costume that will have you howling at the moon.

Writing on their site, the unnamed customer explained: "Because of my love for animals since childhood and some realistic animal suits appearing on TV, I dreamed of 'being one someday'.

"At the final fitting, I was amazed at my transformed self in the mirror. It was a moment when my dream come true.”

resize

Adding: "My order to 'look like a real wolf walking on hind legs' was difficult – to say the least – but the complete suit looked exactly like what I imagined."

But when you're having to fork out over £18,700 for a piece of kit like this, you'd expect it to look pretty good, wouldn't you?

Toco, from Japan, explained: "I rarely tell my friends because I am afraid they will think I am weird.”

https://www.ladbible.com/news/company-turns-man-into-wolf-505455-20221229

maximus otter

Last edited:
Company which turned man into dog for £12,480 has made a more expensive wolf costume

A company has created a hyper-realistic wolf costume that will have you howling at the moon.

Writing on their site, the unnamed customer explained: "Because of my love for animals since childhood and some realistic animal suits appearing on TV, I dreamed of 'being one someday'.

"At the final fitting, I was amazed at my transformed self in the mirror. It was a moment when my dream come true.”

resize

Adding: "My order to 'look like a real wolf walking on hind legs' was difficult – to say the least – but the complete suit looked exactly like what I imagined."

But when you're having to fork out over £18,700 for a piece of kit like this, you'd expect it to look pretty good, wouldn't you?

Toco, from Japan, explained: "I rarely tell my friends because I am afraid they will think I am weird.”

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/lad-tricked-into-thinking-he-has-600-gloves-20220408

maximus otter
It looks spectacular but the link goes to an uninteresting story about gloves.

Back