• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gaddafi’s ‘Man Made River’

Amoradala

Ephemeral Spectre
We were told that Gaddafi was a monster - they didn't tell us about was his self funded infrastructure project called the ‘Man Made River’.

It was going to bring water from under the desert to the surface at great financial cost to Gaddafi. It was estimated that this would bring the whole of Africa out of starvation. the project was just completed after 20 years hard work and the US bombed it with depleted Uranium so it can never been used. who really is the monster?

Has western media ever mentioned this ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Man-Made_River

We were told that Gaddafi was a monster - they didn't tell us about was his self funded infrastructure project called the ‘Man Made River’.

It was going to bring water from under the desert to the surface at great financial cost to Gaddafi. It was estimated that this would bring the whole of Africa out of starvation. the project was just completed after 20 years hard work and the US bombed it with depleted Uranium so it can never been used. who really is the monster?

There are, no doubt, many similar things that never get mentioned in the West.

Frides Mod edit: unhelpful line about politics removed

INT21

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, would it really have lifted Africa out of poverty, or is it easy to make grand claims about a crazy dictator's vanity project that never came to pass?

The thing is, would it really have lifted Africa out of poverty, or is it easy to make grand claims about a crazy dictator's vanity project that never came to pass?
Giving millions of African’s the ability to irrigate land and grow crops doesn’t sound like a vanity project by a crazed dictator to me.
You know, it might have actually worked.
We’ll never know, because it was destroyed shortly before it was due to be completed by our allied invasion force whilst we removed him from power / had him abused and murdered (on camera)

Why leave out the RAF?
Credit where credit's due.

Since it seems to be in use (https://en.218tv.net/2018/11/30/gre...ides-tripoli-with-water-few-days-after-delay/) and not filled with depleted uranium, no one?

Good find. I can find very little reference to this structure anywhere. Would be interesting to find what parts of the network were damaged and which parts (other than the Tripoli link) were/are repaired.
Not much reference to it post 2009.

1554276330281.png

Why leave out the RAF?
Credit where credit's due.

I fully recognise the RAF’s role in the allied forces strike.

My question is why this info was not mentioned by journalists in our respective national media.
And were the motives for Gaddafi’s removal were not exactly what we were being told.

Last edited:
My question is why this info was not mentioned by journalists in our respective national media.
And were the motives for Gaddafi’s removal were not exactly what we were being told.

I was totally unaware of it. Also, although I am not a conspiracy theory maven, I feel confident in answering the second part as YES!

Because we're the bad guys.

iirc in the adam curtis film 'hypernormalisation', gadaffi in his early years as a leader, basically agreed to being 'set up' as a middle eastern (sort of) bogeyman by the west (ie america), because the west wanted someone to point at (and who wasn't the bashirs of syria because the west was sucking up to them at that point). gadaffi agreed because it was some sort of warped prestige, and actually gave him more power than he really had.
eventually though he go too big for his boots, plus there were more legit middle eastern bogeymen so he was done away with.

or something like that. its been quite a while since i saw the film. i'm not saying its true, but otoh i wouldn't put it past those that whisper around the global powers.

It was the Arab Spring uprisings that did for Gadaffi, he was killed by his own subjects, not the West.

Because we're the bad guys.
I appreciate that is probably meant with black humour, but I don’t want to be a bad guy. I don’t want this done in my name by politicians I trusted with my vote.

It was the Arab Spring uprisings that did for Gadaffi, he was killed by his own subjects, not the West.
His subjects couldn’t have done it without our military might, and yet unknown motivations.

His subjects couldn’t have done it without our military might, and yet unknown motivations.

It wasn't our military might that chased him into a hole and shot him up the arse.

We were told that Gaddafi was a monster - they didn't tell us about was his self funded infrastructure project called the ‘Man Made River’.It was going to bring water from under the desert to the surface at great financial cost to Gaddafi. It was estimated that this would bring the whole of Africa out of starvation. the project was just completed after 20 years hard work and the US bombed it with depleted Uranium so it can never been used. who really is the monster?
Has western media ever mentioned this ? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Man-Made_River
How can despoiling the aquifer of the Sahara solve the starvation problems of Africa? That is just towering rhetoric without a shred of accuracy.
Artesian water is a finite resource that replenishes very slowly, so for all the work, you might get 10 or so national crops before the water runs out. This water project was never going to solve the hunger problems in the Horn of Africa, it is too far away, and the starvation is caused by tribal warfare not lack of water. This was a short sighted vanity mega-project of the sort we typically see created by megalomaniacs.

The CIA were definitely agitating in the area at that time.

The CIA were definitely agitating in the area at that time.
The CIA had been agitating across Africa for decades. No, what did Gadaffi in was wikileaks, as wikileaks is what triggered the Arab Spring. A little bit of truth is powerful medicine.

Warning to INT21 for repeatedly ignoring communications from Mods /and/ continuing to spin scuttlebutt about rules.

New members, and others, don't deserve to have threads derailed and waters muddied by this nonsense

*Frides Mod edit - continuing behaviour for which a warning has been issued - removed*

The whole Arab Spring was a stupid mistake made by the people of the first country to try to overthrow their leader.

The other countries down the left hand side of the Mediterranean then saw this and thought 'Hey, we don't like our leader, let's overthrow him'

It would appear that they didn't really have a plan as to what they were going to replace him with that would be any better.

Egypt went first. Mubarak out.

Then Libya, Bye Gaddafi.

Then, Syria.

But the trouble causers in Syria made a huge mistake. Assad was much harder than the others. He isn't planning on going anywhere.

And the USA jumped onto the band wagon by supplying arms to the people causing the uprising; just as they do in many conflict. Shit stirring.

And after the mess they had made in Iraq there were plenty of people with no work and no place to go that decided, well, why not go and join the fight against Assad, not much else to do'

Virtually a rent-a-mob situation.

So the weapons kept on coming in.Syria is divided. Assad has strong allies. People in high places who do not want him out.

But the good old USA (and not other dupe nations) are supplying more and more killing machines to the people who are now 'freedom fighters'. Forgetting that they started all this in the first place.

However, there are people who are playing the longer game.

Syria has oil, and all the destruction will need to be cleaned up and lots of building projects will be up for grabs.

THERE IS MONEY TO BE MADE FROM PEOPLE'S MISERY.

Religion saw an opportunity. ISIS made it's move. Much more killing and destruction. More rebuilding needed.

No doubt a few sneaky little shits with bags of cash button holing the 'right people' in dark rooms.

So, what have we at the end of it ; not as though it will ever end.

Egypt is relatively stable.

Libya is a true mess.

Syria is gradually stabilizing, but will still have problems with Turkey and the Kurds. The US and allies may as well go home as Russia and Iran will be running ht place.

Algeria, where it all began, still has flare ups.

Millions of people have been displaced, Europe is in a mess due to the disruption.

What is next ? Maybe it is too obvious.

Venezuela has oil. An uprising against an elected leader.

The USA is already considering it's game plan.

Gotta keep those arms factories producing.

And Joe and Jane back in the USA are probably thinking 'When is all this stupidity going to end? What's it got to do with us ?

*Frides Mod edit - continuing behaviour for which a warning has been issued - removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems many posters are towing the party line on what the media has told them to think.

Perhaps if impartial truthful journalists were allowed to investigate without intimidation and platform their findings there wouldn’t be the cloak of secrecy and confusion causing these angry confused posts.

To get back on topic. Why is it, that no western journalist or media outlet ever mentioned Gaddafi’s Great Man Made River during the entire Libyan ‘uprising’ ?

AlchoPwn, are you suggesting that it deserved to be bombed because you don’t think it would’ve worked anyway ?
Despoiling ? And these starving people ( from tribal warfare) were using wikileaks ?

I've been trying to find a reference and not having much joy, but there is a long history of creating man made underground rivers in North Africa and the middle east. Running for many miles,even hundreds, usually from a water source in mountains down to land for agriculture. In some places they're called Quanats. With wells along the route. Underground to prevent evaporation.

I remember either seeming a film or reading a book which I'm so sure is James bond, but I can't find a reference, in which he gets forced into one of these Wells to drown but gets carried away in the network of rivers.

I think my point is, we in the west may not know much about Sahara water but the locals know plenty.

I've been trying to find a reference and not having much joy, but there is a long history of creating man made underground rivers in North Africa and the middle east. Running for many miles,even hundreds, usually from a water source in mountains down to land for agriculture. In some places they're called Quanats. With wells along the route. Underground to prevent evaporation.

I remember either seeming a film or reading a book which I'm so sure is James bond, but I can't find a reference, in which he gets forced into one of these Wells to drown but gets carried away in the network of rivers.

I think my point is, we in the west may not know much about Sahara water but the locals know plenty.
In desert regions of China there is a network of underground irrigation channels like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpan_water_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qanat

AlchoPwn, are you suggesting that it deserved to be bombed because you don’t think it would’ve worked anyway ? Despoiling ? And these starving people ( from tribal warfare) were using wikileaks ?
Let me clarify...

Firstly, the main region of Africa where starvation is an ongoing issue is the Horn of Africa, which is nowhere near Libya, and have no meaningful political links with Libya. Gadaffi's main political influence was in Southern Africa, which doesn't suffer the same starvation issues. So the notion that somehow the water was going to create Libyan agriculture that was going to feed the Horn of Africa is mere hyperbole with no more relevance to the world at large that the latest Trump tweet. As for the rest of Africa, well, they aren't starving.

As to the bombing of the project, well, I would think it was going to be as disasterous as the Aswan Dam, which turned Egypt from one of the world's great breadbaskets into a net importer of food, because it ended the flooding of the Nile. All that was going to happen with this Gadaffi vanity project was that he was going to destroy the Saharan aquifers for short term agricultural gain. Or do you think there was some sort of well considered ecological impact study Amoradala? Because I can assure you that there wasn't. Dictatorships don't work like that.

As for the starving people using wikileaks, well, context. The Arab Spring that deposed Gadaffi was touched off by wikileaks info. Also, the present uprisings in Sudan are being driven by social media and can be traced to the Arab Spring movement, which in turn can be traced to wikileaks as an origin point. So while starvation isn't such an issue in the Horn of Africa at the moment, as most of that regions' civil wars are in hiatus, there is a good chance that Sudan will light up with a civil conflict soon. You remember Sudan, it's the place where the Islamic militia of murderous pack rapist slavers known as the Janjaweed come from https://newrepublic.com/article/71627/the-monster-darfur. So you can bet that the coming war in Sudan will set the bar very low indeed.

Do I think it was great that Gadaffi's ridiculous vanity project was blown up? I think on balance that it is probably better for humanity that it has stopped. I am certainly not decrying it as a terrible blow to regional prosperity, because it was literally and figuratively a pipe dream.

Since it seems to be in use (https://en.218tv.net/2018/11/30/gre...ides-tripoli-with-water-few-days-after-delay/) and not filled with depleted uranium, no one?

Correct ... The Brega facility was one of two pipe-producing plants which generated the pipe segments used in the project. It was not a component of the operational water supply system, which wasn't hit at all. The second pipe production plant wasn't hit, so pipe production capacity was reduced but not eliminated. The Brega facility was targeted because military materiel was being stored in the building that was bombed, and there were multiple mobile missile launchers deployed (and active) at the site.

Back