• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Game Of Thrones [Spoilers]

DrWhiteface

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I tried looking for a thread about Game Of Thrones, so forgive me if there is already a thread about this. I've just bought the first three books in the seires ("Buy Two, Get One Free" deal at the bookshop) - am I in for a great read? And, yes, I know there's a tv version of Thrones, but there's more detail in the books than the screen version.

Interesting books (not seen the tv version!), but not sure if this has a Fortean Theme throughout it!

I attempted to read the first book long before all this insignificance, it was one of few fantasies that I could not get though.

(The other was the wheel of time...)

(I survived turgid junk like `worm ouroboros` and `into the night lands` though, this shows Im a hardcore fantasy freak.)

I love them. I'm really looking forward to the next one.

I am 100 pages or so into the second book, they're very good. I am not a fantasy reader, but you have to try new stuff.

The only issue I have is I am up to date with the TV series, which has spoiled my reading a little.

I enjoyed the first book but found myself becoming increasingly irritated with subsequent ones as they moved into Rowling-style bloat. It was also clear that Martin, unlike Rowling, had no idea what direction the story was heading in.

Perhaps heretically I think that the TV show is better...

DrWhiteface said:
Better "too much plot" than no plot at all!

I'd rather there was more plot and less lingering over the gratuitous sex and torture.

I'd rather there was more plot and less lingering over the gratuitous sex and torture.

That too - I find some of the descriptions of sexual violence very hard to read. Not to mention, as you say, completely gratuitous.

I can't be the only one who's reminded of a certain song by Soft Cell from way back? :lol:

Haven't read the books, did like the first 2 seasons of the TV series, the 3rd was way too slow for my taste.

Also I find Snow a quite abominably irritating twonk.

Is there that much unsuitable sex in the book?

I'm only in the second one, but I don't find it that way.

Before I started reading them I read some of amazon's reviews of the books, the one-star rated reviews always had something to say about the graphic sex, they said some horrid things happen - however, not a mention in the higher starred reviews.

I guess it's one's opinion.

Is there that much unsuitable sex in the book?

I'm only in the second one, but I don't find it that way.

It wasn't so much the sex scenes - although they did tend to be gratuitous and do little to advance the plot - as the descriptions of sexual violence, notably the gang rape of women who had been tied to posts and threats to violate a 9 year old girl. Left a rather nasty taste and made me wonder about the author's mentality - as I say they did nothing to advance the plot and seemed to have been included simply for salaciousness.

Remember George is a horror veteran too, a lot of the pulpier writers included such material, so he may have been getting his genres mixed up. Doesn't really excuse it, mind you, and I'm glad I've stuck with the TV series - doorstep fantasy novels do little for me, but I don't mind watching them on TV or films if they're done well enough.

Anyone following season 4?

A bit of a surprise in the 2nd episode, I won't spoil except to say that much that I loathe the character and was waiting for them to cop it... that was gross and genuinely quite hard to watch. :shock:

OneWingedBird said:

A bit of a surprise in the 2nd episode, I won't spoil except to say that much that I loathe the character and was waiting for them to cop it... that was gross and genuinely quite hard to watch. :shock:

No spoiler but pretty obvious from your description. :lol:

I'll spoiler-text my comments just in case...

I too held those feelings and now the come-uppance has happened I'm a bit puzzled as to who I'll loathe now. Although there is still at least one character I love to hate just as much.

Certainly puts an interesting spin on things moving forward, sets up nicely a lot of potential knock-on effects.

I suppose that depends on who you loathe, although I've edited the gender of the character out of my original post to make it more ambiguous... you might want to do the same to the quote.

The circumstances of them copping it were rather odd and a little mystery in themselves.

The knock on effects are going to be very interesting indeed.

OneWingedBird said:

Meh, the death of that character is nothing. The books are well ahead of the TV show and in them there are some more rather unexpected and shocking demises on the way! Just remember.. no character is safe!

It was a bit of a nasty ending last night. :x

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I can't bring myself to watch that again.

That really had to hurt.

Also Mythbusters need to have a go to see if it's possible. :D

OneWingedBird said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I can't bring myself to watch that again.

That really had to hurt.

Also Mythbusters need to have a go to see if it's possible. :D

I haven't read the books nor seen the TV program, although I was thinking about glancing at the program; however, OneWingedBird's last statement pretty much ensures that I won't do either!

Please don't let me put you off!

It's a great show and very cleverly written, the author seems to relish setting up tropes just to subvert them at the last minute.

‘Game of Thrones’ author uses epic language against fearful fans

Game of Thrones author George Raymond Richard Martin is often referred to by fans and writers as GRRM. Perhaps that should be GRRR, following his strongly worded response to fans who fear he will die before finishing A Song of Ice and Fire.

“I find that question pretty offensive; people speculating about my death and my health,” said Martin, 65, when asked to respond to those fears in an interview with Swiss newspaper, Tagesanzeiger.

“So fuck you to those people,” he added, gesturing with his middle finger to make his feelings even clearer.

A Dance with Dragons. the latest instalment in the series, took six years to write, and Martin is currently on the sixth novel, The Winds of Winter, but has not given a release date.

A Song of Ice and Fire is the inspiration behind the mega-hit TV series Game of Thrones, which is filmed in Northern Ireland.

“I need to write faster,” Martin recently told the Mashable website. But he offered no guarantees.

“I make no promises.

“I found out long ago that when you look at the overall task, the cathedral you have to build, it looks so daunting that you just give up and sit down and play a video game.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/game ... 75188.html

Some feel Stephen King rushed the end of The Dark Tower and spoiled it in the process, so maybe George doesn't want to make the same mistake? Mind you, George is about ten stone heavier than Steve.

Anyway, I started season 4 tonight, can't believe how much I've forgotten since season 3...

Heh. I find that's the best way to watch this, just accept that everyone in it knows what they're on about and settle for a low level of understanding to get me through. Dynasty was never this complicated...

Back