• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Game Of Thrones [Spoilers]

Valar Morghoulis.

Which apparently applies to TV programmes as well as humans.

Yes I remain angry of Tunbridge Wells.

I invested 10 years of my life in this program only to have it shat upon.

Carice Van Houten's comment recently was priceless. Puts it all into perspective (can't repeat it because it's political, but you can look it up).

A Game of Thrones stage Play. Not everyone is keen on the idea.

This week, The Hollywood Reporter had an exclusive revealing that George R. R. Martin is working on a Game of Thrones play. Yes, really. Martin is ignoring your pleas for him to finish Winds of Winter and instead collaborating with playwright Duncan MacMillan and director Dominic Cooke to bring Ned Stark and Jaime Lannister to Broadway. And the West End. And somewhere in Australia. I’m sorry, but to paraphrase Krusty the Clown: This, I don’t need.

Look, everyone misses Game of Thrones. The last season felt like riding a malfunctioning tilt-a-whirl at the state fair, but there were six and a half really good seasons of TV there. There are already like six spinoffs in the works, does anyone need a play, too? Yes, the Great Tourney at Harrenhal—allegedly the basis for the production—is a big deal, but I dunno, y’all. We were already in overkill territory and this just feels excessive. I’m not saying I won’t go see this when it opens—at this point I miss theater so much I’d attend a live reading of the Zack Snyder’s Justice League end credits—but man. Suddenly a stage production of Dexter: The Teenage Years seems appealing. ...

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-thrones-play-no-way/

"Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." - Gene Fowler

"Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." - Gene Fowler
This is actually true. In some respects, I am glad I just write manuals for a living. Doing something truly creative might kill my brain.

I was fine with every GOT episode from dot but the last episode was shocking and unlike the last episode of The Sopranos when I jumped on the bandwagon and was not happy about it until I realised I was happy about it but the last GOT was like watching the French Rugby Union World Cup 2007 and enjoying until the final between South Africa and England and I just walked out with a confused wife who wanted to enjoy the game.

Last edited:
I bet Rynner gets a part as an ancient mariner who battled a sea monster and lived to tell the tale.

Game of Thrones prequel series House of the Dragon is believed to have started filming in Cornwall.

Producer HBO confirmed this week production was under way with tweets of members of the cast reading scripts. Photos have emerged of film crews and costumed actors, thought to be stars Matt Smith and Emma D'Arcy, at Holywell Bay near Newquay. The new series is set 300 years before the events of Game Of Thrones and will tell the story of the Targaryen family.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-56919320

I bet Rynner gets a part as an ancient mariner who battled a sea monster and lived to tell the tale.

Game of Thrones prequel series House of the Dragon is believed to have started filming in Cornwall.

Producer HBO confirmed this week production was under way with tweets of members of the cast reading scripts. Photos have emerged of film crews and costumed actors, thought to be stars Matt Smith and Emma D'Arcy, at Holywell Bay near Newquay. The new series is set 300 years before the events of Game Of Thrones and will tell the story of the Targaryen family.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-56919320

42392324-9527785-image-a-131_1619742477571.jpg

42392476-9527785-image-a-141_1619742651858.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...y-blonde-wig-sweeping-cloak-films-scenes.html

maximus otter

They were definitely filming it at St Michael's Mount this week - a friend was in Marazion and they'd closed the causeway off "because of Game of Thrones". I believe Paddy Considine is the lead as Targaryen père.

Just watch the first 3 episodes.
Yes. the final sensible scene between Jamie and Brienne before the plot was lost is worth watching. After that everything disintegrates into embarrassing nonsense. Both in terms of plot and character development and in terms of the franchise, which has largely been destroyed.

Last edited:
I've had something of a revelation on this.

I was of the opinion that Dany's alleged descent into madness was very badly done, and I still think that. But I'm not sure that 'madness' is what we were meant to take from it, and I've come to realise there are clues from earlier in the series not just in Dany's arc.

I think one key is in this quote

'Leave one wolf alive and the sheep are never safe'.

I love the quote, but it is double edged. It can mean we, the few, will defeat the many, but also it can mean that they, the elite, will always victimise the underlings.

Or, put another way, how can you eliminate the oppressors without turning into the oppressor yourself?

Which is what several people in the whole series, not just Dany, manage to do.

Looked at in that light, a lot more of the story lines start to make sense.

And Bran - him now being beyond human, it is almost saying 'only a God can manage people because people can't be trusted to do it themselves' . Could it even be the whole series is a parable like C. S. Lewis's stuff? This paragraph is pure speculation, more so than my main point above.

But I'm still not excusing the ridiculousness of the last few episodes, and indeed if the above was the intended moral of the books from GRRM and/or the TV show that ridiculousness tended to obscure the meaning rather than emphasise it.

Anyway, given the above I think I might now be reconciled enough to rewatch the series with the above points in mind.

I've had something of a revelation on this.

I was of the opinion that Dany's alleged descent into madness was very badly done, and I still think that. But I'm not sure that 'madness' is what we were meant to take from it, and I've come to realise there are clues from earlier in the series not just in Dany's arc.

I think one key is in this quote

'Leave one wolf alive and the sheep are never safe'.

I love the quote, but it is double edged. It can mean we, the few, will defeat the many, but also it can mean that they, the elite, will always victimise the underlings.

Or, put another way, how can you eliminate the oppressors without turning into the oppressor yourself?

Which is what several people in the whole series, not just Dany, manage to do.

Looked at in that light, a lot more of the story lines start to make sense.

And Bran - him now being beyond human, it is almost saying 'only a God can manage people because people can't be trusted to do it themselves' . Could it even be the whole series is a parable like C. S. Lewis's stuff? This paragraph is pure speculation, more so than my main point above.

But I'm still not excusing the ridiculousness of the last few episodes, and indeed if the above was the intended moral of the books from GRRM and/or the TV show that ridiculousness tended to obscure the meaning rather than emphasise it.

Anyway, given the above I think I might now be reconciled enough to rewatch the series with the above points in mind.

It took me a long time to get over the way they butchered the last season of GoT. Several times this year, I thought about binging the series, but when I thought about the ending, I couldn't do it.

I was really invested in this series and was simply insulted with what they expected us to buy into for an ending. Even with your theory in mind, Dany's character was not the only one that was treated unjustly in the last season. IMO, the only one who received a half decent story arc was Queen of the North.

I'm not sure why I took it so personal, but I did.

I think he wasn't aiming for a moral, so much as the message "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

It took me a long time to get over the way they butchered the last season of GoT. Several times this year, I thought about binging the series, but when I thought about the ending, I couldn't do it.

I was really invested in this series and was simply insulted with what they expected us to buy into for an ending. Even with your theory in mind, Dany's character was not the only one that was treated unjustly in the last season. IMO, the only one who received a half decent story arc was Queen of the North.

I'm not sure why I took it so personal, but I did.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. And I also took it personally.

Sansa and Arya came out reasonably well - pretty much everyone else was killed in an implausible way or suddenly became a moron. Deadly weapons in one episode were useless in the next. Hiding from someone who has the power to raise the dead in a crypt? IN A CRYPT???

Plus people levitating from one end of Westeros to the other, the ludicrous pirate character, killing off almost everyone who could have gone into a decent sequel, it made neither fictional nor business sense.

I don't know why I got so involved in the series - I've never been that invested in anything I've watched before. Star Trek would have been the closest.

I've been reading a lot of discussion recently to the effect of: it's quite extraordinary that GoT was such a HUGE cultural phenomenon for so long and has been all but completely forgotten about since the final season messed up so badly. We've had absolutely ages of COVID and lockdowns and nobody's rewatching it, because everyone knows how it ends and that fills them with despair and disappointment.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. And I also took it personally.

Sansa and Arya came out reasonably well - pretty much everyone else was killed in an implausible way or suddenly became a moron. Deadly weapons in one episode were useless in the next. Hiding from someone who has the power to raise the dead in a crypt? IN A CRYPT???

Plus people levitating from one end of Westeros to the other, the ludicrous pirate character, killing off almost everyone who could have gone into a decent sequel, it made neither fictional nor business sense.

I don't know why I got so involved in the series - I've never been that invested in anything I've watched before. Star Trek would have been the closest.
I could hardly contain my excitement for each new season. Every episode was like watching a movie. It delighted all my senses. Locations, costumes, performances by all, even the children were flawless. As though they were born for the part they played. They played with my emotions by allowing me to invest in each "main" character and then killed them off!!

That last battle scene supposedly set up by seasoned warriors was strategically incorrect. And as you said, hide all the women and children in a Crypt??

Arya sneaks up and screams as she jumps onto the Night King. He had her by the throat. All he had to do was touch those babies with one finger and they turned. Not Arya.

All that torturous training and skill Arya went through from the faceless man so she could kill Cersei. A building collapses on them? The end?

I think I spoke too soon. I'm not sure I'll ever get over it.

Apparently in this new Space Jam sequel nobody wanted, there's a Game of Thrones scene included. You know, for the little kids.

Apparently in this new Space Jam sequel nobody wanted, there's a Game of Thrones scene included. You know, for the little kids.

That's a bit strange don't you think? Game of Thrones was never meant for kids to watch. lol

That's a bit strange don't you think? Game of Thrones was never meant for kids to watch. lol

Apparently they've put the equally adult-oriented A Clockwork Orange in this kids movie too. Warner Bros' marketing department must be a riot.

I could hardly contain my excitement for each new season. Every episode was like watching a movie. It delighted all my senses. Locations, costumes, performances by all, even the children were flawless. As though they were born for the part they played. They played with my emotions by allowing me to invest in each "main" character and then killed them off!!

That last battle scene supposedly set up by seasoned warriors was strategically incorrect. And as you said, hide all the women and children in a Crypt??

Arya sneaks up and screams as she jumps onto the Night King. He had her by the throat. All he had to do was touch those babies with one finger and they turned. Not Arya.

All that torturous training and skill Arya went through from the faceless man so she could kill Cersei. A building collapses on them? The end?

I think I spoke too soon. I'm not sure I'll ever get over it.
Oh, and Clegane Bowl was rubbish. After waiting about four seasons. Either the Hound should have won or the Mountain should have won only for Arya to kill (re-kill?) him.

Back