• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Game Of Thrones [Spoilers]

Oh, and Clegane Bowl was rubbish. After waiting about four seasons. Either the Hound should have won or the Mountain should have won only for Arya to kill (re-kill?) him.

lol

So, are you going to re-watch the series?

lol

So, are you going to re-watch the series?
Yeeess. Well, maybe. I have 1-7 on DVD. Bought while waiting for Season 8.

If I survive that knowing what I now know maybe I will try and watch the pantomime that is season 8 - I'd at least like to rewatch the scene where Brienne is knighted.

And perhaps I'll enjoy Dany torching Kings' Landing because that's what Benioff and Weiss did to the whole show. I can imagine them down there among the extras. I have to confess I have never, despite repeated tries - made it through the last episode without fast forwarding.

Dany being killed by her nephew is the best bit. That's like saying the boiling lake of sulphur is the best bit of Hell. After that it got worse. Which tells us what utter pig's manure the rest of the 'finale' was.

Jon Snow was tupping her only a few weeks earlier. But he has a track record and has a distorted enough idea of 'good' to be repeatedly terminating his lovers. We are expected to think no-one will react? (I'm temporarily including dragons as persons.) Even if Drogon didn't fry Jon Grey Worm would have had his head. Probably after some other bits.

Edit: Ramsay Bolton tortures, humiliates and kills his enemies. Jon Snow betrays people who have some reason to believe him their friend and either lets them be killed or - if they are female - does it himself. Is Jon Snow really so much better than Ramsay Bolton? They both have courage in battle.

Last edited:

If I survive that knowing what I now know maybe I will try and watch the pantomime that is season 8 - I'd at least like to rewatch the scene where Brienne is knighted.

And perhaps I'll enjoy Dany torching Kings' Landing because that's what Benioff and Weiss did to the whole show. I can imagine them down there among the extras. I have to confess I have never, despite repeated tries - made it through the last episode without fast forwarding.

Dany being killed by her nephew is the best bit. That's like saying the boiling lake of sulphur is the best bit of Hell. After that it got worse. Which tells us what utter pig's manure the rest of the 'finale' was.

Jon Snow was tupping her only a few weeks earlier. But he has a track record and has a distorted enough idea of 'good' to be repeatedly terminating his lovers. We are expected to think no-one will react? (I'm temporarily including dragons as persons.) Even if Drogon didn't fry Jon Grey Worm would have had his head. Probably after some other bits.

This is the best review I've read. :D

Never watched it.

Is it this fancy, much loved and award winning series which has been completely forgotten in five minutes???

Never watched it.

Is it this fancy, much loved and award winning series which has been completely forgotten in five minutes???
It's not so much forgotten as taboo, unless you know the opinion of the person you are discussing it with. People who agree that the last season was bad can get heated just discussing how bad it was,

The acrimony caused by it was such that no-one wanted to touch it commercially afterwards.

Especially since it was the long term fans of the show were in the main the most upset.

They are filming a prequel at the moment, after a long delay. It will be interesting to see if that will raise the franchise from the dead. It's also being reshown a lot now, so maybe they'll have a new generation of fans all ready to be upset afresh by the rubbish ending.

If you haven't watched it, you wouldn't understand, to adapt a well known sales pitch. It was so well done in the early seasons that it became almost an alternate reality for many.

A scholarly article about GOT. More articles on the right-hand sidebar.

In the End: A Literary Analysis of the Oldstones scene from A Song of Ice and Fire
Duncan Hubber, School of Arts - Federation University Australia

George R. R. Martin’s epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire (1996—) is full of powerful,shocking and memorable moments, from Ned Stark’s sentencing, to the Battle of Blackwa-ter, to the Red Wedding. One of the less remarked-upon moments—though in my opinion,equally important—is the sequence in which Robb Stark’s army passes through Oldstoneson their march to the Twins. While the respective chapter (Catelyn V, A Storm of Swords) is rather light on narrative content, being largely a transition between locations, Martin’s en-vironmental descriptions generate a tone of oppressive foreboding and summon up crucialthemes of mortality and fate. I can still recall the shiver that went down my spine as I readLady Catelyn making her way through the castle ruins, autumn rains dripping from its ancientwalls, thewayitslonelinessanddecayreectedherowndespairingpsyche. Sheturnsacornerand nds a crownless Robb, petting his direwolf as he gazes at the crypt of King Tristifer. Itis not the legendary Young Wolf that Catelyn nds, but her teenage son taking a few momentsfor himself.

Back in 2013, I had wondered how the producers of the TV show were going tointerpret it – I could visualise the mist, the waning light and creeping shadows, hear the softpatter of rain and the swell of violins as mother and son came together. In the end, Oldstonesdid not actually make the show’s cut, but that is all the more reason to revisit it.Throughout the scene, Martin uses the ruins to illustrate how his characters live in theshadows of the past, as well as the dicultly they face in comprehending that past. Oldstoneswas a once mighty fortress, but over the centuries, it has become overgrown with weeds andgradually dismantled by smallfolk who pilfered its stones for their own houses. Likewise,the carving of its former master’s face has been worn smooth by exposure to the elements.King Tristifer’s sepulchre is the focus of Robb’s contemplation, as though the young king hadsought to learn something from this old king. Yet the face is barely distinguishable from the ...

Academia Letters, August 2021
Corresponding Author:
Duncan Hubber, [email protected]
Citation:
Hubber, D. (2021). In the End: A Literary Analysis of the Oldstones scene from A Song of Ice andFire.
Academia Letters
, Article 2906.
https://doi.org/10.20935/AL2906
©2021 by the author — Open Access — Distributed under CC BY 4.0

https://www.academia.edu/51771360/I...ng_of_Ice_and_Fire?email_work_card=view-paper

A scholarly article about GOT. More articles on the right-hand sidebar.

In the End: A Literary Analysis of the Oldstones scene from A Song of Ice and Fire
Duncan Hubber, School of Arts - Federation University Australia

George R. R. Martin’s epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire (1996—) is full of powerful,shocking and memorable moments, from Ned Stark’s sentencing, to the Battle of Blackwa-ter, to the Red Wedding. One of the less remarked-upon moments—though in my opinion,equally important—is the sequence in which Robb Stark’s army passes through Oldstoneson their march to the Twins. While the respective chapter (Catelyn V, A Storm of Swords) is rather light on narrative content, being largely a transition between locations, Martin’s en-vironmental descriptions generate a tone of oppressive foreboding and summon up crucialthemes of mortality and fate. I can still recall the shiver that went down my spine as I readLady Catelyn making her way through the castle ruins, autumn rains dripping from its ancientwalls, thewayitslonelinessanddecayreectedherowndespairingpsyche. Sheturnsacornerand nds a crownless Robb, petting his direwolf as he gazes at the crypt of King Tristifer. Itis not the legendary Young Wolf that Catelyn nds, but her teenage son taking a few momentsfor himself.

Back in 2013, I had wondered how the producers of the TV show were going tointerpret it – I could visualise the mist, the waning light and creeping shadows, hear the softpatter of rain and the swell of violins as mother and son came together. In the end, Oldstonesdid not actually make the show’s cut, but that is all the more reason to revisit it.Throughout the scene, Martin uses the ruins to illustrate how his characters live in theshadows of the past, as well as the dicultly they face in comprehending that past. Oldstoneswas a once mighty fortress, but over the centuries, it has become overgrown with weeds andgradually dismantled by smallfolk who pilfered its stones for their own houses. Likewise,the carving of its former master’s face has been worn smooth by exposure to the elements.King Tristifer’s sepulchre is the focus of Robb’s contemplation, as though the young king hadsought to learn something from this old king. Yet the face is barely distinguishable from the ...

Academia Letters, August 2021
Corresponding Author:
Duncan Hubber, [email protected]
Citation:
Hubber, D. (2021). In the End: A Literary Analysis of the Oldstones scene from A Song of Ice andFire.
Academia Letters
, Article 2906.
https://doi.org/10.20935/AL2906
©2021 by the author — Open Access — Distributed under CC BY 4.0

https://www.academia.edu/51771360/I...ng_of_Ice_and_Fire?email_work_card=view-paper
The books (A Song of Ice and Fire) and the TV series (GOT) are different things in many ways, more so as one gets further in but one similarity is that the books have also lost their way, albeit in a different direction to the show. I seriously doubt G.R.R. Martin will ever finish the series. .

The books (A Song of Ice and Fire) and the TV series (GOT) are different things in many ways, more so as one gets further in but one similarity is that the books have also lost their way, albeit in a different direction to the show. I seriously doubt G.R.R. Martin will ever finish the series. .

He gets pretty sweary if you point this out to him (I haven't!).

I'm sure you are all aware of House of the Dragon. However a new spin-off is in the works, set after the original series. George Martin has revealed it is called Snow and will star none other than Kit Harrington.
With their respective fates, I would have preferred to see what Aria gets up to in new lands.

I attempted to read the first book long before all this insignificance, it was one of few fantasies that I could not get though.

(The other was the wheel of time...)

(I survived turgid junk like `worm ouroboros` and `into the night lands` though, this shows Im a hardcore fantasy freak.)
I have the same problem. The other one I couldn't get through was the Thomas Covenant series.

I attempted to read the first book long before all this insignificance, it was one of few fantasies that I could not get though.
I got through book one. Started skimming book two. Gave up.
I have the same problem. The other one I couldn't get through was the Thomas Covenant series.
I got through the first series Ok, I thought it was quite nuanced for it's time.

Anyone else watching the long-awaited prequel House of the Dragon?
Caught up with it tonight and was genuinely impressed.
Matt Smith as boo-hiss villain Daemon Targaryen played an absolute blinder and the action - both bloody jousting and orgies, with a fair dose of Macchiavellian intrigue thrown in, ensured there was never a dull moment.
First episodes of any series are often hamstrung by laboriously balancing the need to introduce characters and spell out the background plot, whilst still providing enough action to hold the viewer's interest.
I reckon they got the balance pretty well spot- on with House of the Dragon and I'm very much looking forward to episode 2.

Believe it or not, in the U.S. 10 million people tried to watch this program on HBO Max at the same time crashing HBO Max.

My wife and I caught it yesterday and as you said lots of sex and nudity, lots of killing tons of blood and gore, and jousting.

I think it was good in the fact how bad women have it.

Their only purpose was to provide a baby, and most of the women died in childbirth.

I give Matt Smith high marks, he was good as a villain.

I found all the characters confusing at first, but my wife helped me to interpret the story.

House of the Dragon
s

Yes. Just watched e1 and was transfixed. I had to mentally breathe out once or twice, I was so tense. Casting, perfect. Characters who aroused me immediately. Plot deep and dark, and yet so familiar. Tendrils to GoT working into the exposition throughout the episode. Masterful direction by Miguel S, who is true class and IMO made the very best GoT eps.

Delicious.

Most delicious.

BBC reporting criticism of the first episode of House of the Dragon, for not giving a "trigger warning" before the programme was shown.
I'm sure Sky did warn that the following programme contained scenes of strong violence and a sexual nature.
Not sure what more Sky could have done.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-62652449

All of the screening services in the U.S. like Netflix or Disney Plus always give the rating code and warnings.

The House of The Dragon may have gotten away with the sex and nudity because even though there were naked ladies, but I don’t think a naked penis was shown.

The hacking up of people was also harsh and I wonder if it was necessary for the story ?

there were naked ladies, but I don’t think a naked penis was shown.

Except for what looked suspiciously like some poor sod having his meat and two veg sliced off in the first few minutes!

Is "triggering" simply an Americanism meaning some viewers may find certain scenes disturbing?

I am not familiar with the term “ triggering “ but I notice in the U.S. beside sex, violence, smoking, and so forth, the warning that color or flashing lights on the screen can cause harm is now a popular warning.

...the warning that color or flashing lights on the screen can cause harm is now a popular warning.
It's a real risk for people with certain types of epilepsy.

Meanwhile, it was a brave attempt, but the 80s version of House Of The Dragon highlights the need for CGI.
FB_IMG_1662277804660.jpg

Puddle Lane, with the late and much-missed Neil Innes, and the dragon who looked like Ernest Borgnine.
View attachment 58608

A staple of my student days (it was on roughly when I got up, and it was better than many of the lectures.)
Thanks. I looked it up and have the vaguest memory of it. I now really want the dragon.

Edit: Ramsay Bolton tortures, humiliates and kills his enemies. Jon Snow betrays people who have some reason to believe him their friend and either lets them be killed or - if they are female - does it himself. Is Jon Snow really so much better than Ramsay Bolton? They both have courage in battle.

Personal loyalty and betrayal seem to be important to you (Roman Catholic nuns and priests in Ireland, GOT characters). Maybe I am misremembering GOT, but could you tell us the names of the women Jon Snow knew, loved, and killed? I only remember Danerys. In my view, he killed her for the greater good, as she was killing many innocent people - a habit which developed over the course of her rule. His priority was the greater good for unknown people; this was more important than his personal feelings towards persons he knew.

Yes, I think Jon Snow was a much better person than Ramsey Bolton, because his motivations were different.

Personal loyalty and betrayal seem to be important to you (Roman Catholic nuns and priests in Ireland, GOT characters). Maybe I am misremembering GOT, but could you tell us the names of the women Jon Snow knew, loved, and killed? I only remember Danerys. In my view, he killed her for the greater good, as she was killing many innocent people - a habit which developed over the course of her rule. His priority was the greater good for unknown people; this was more important than his personal feelings towards persons he knew.

Yes, I think Jon Snow was a much better person than Ramsey Bolton, because his motivations were different.
The Wilding. Ygritte. Actually I believe the actor's real life partner.

Killing many innocent people? Like pretty much everyone else? At least she was opposed to slavery - unlike most everyone else in power, including our own lizard overlords.

My personal favourite was the Hound - at least he only killed on a personal basis.

The Wilding. Ygritte. Actually I believe the actor's real life partner.

Killing many innocent people? Like pretty much everyone else? At least she was opposed to slavery - unlike most everyone else in power, including our own lizard overlords.

My personal favourite was the Hound - at least he only killed on a personal basis.
He did not kill Ygritte - a young member of the Watch did, and then she died in Jon's arms.

The goals of Snow, Boltons, Danerys, etc., were all quite different. Goals and the underlying ideologies (?maybe?) are important to me.

"Killing many innocent people? Like pretty much everyone else?" - Cochise, were you opposed to Great Britian's participation in the World Wars?

He did not kill Ygritte - a young member of the Watch did, and then she died in Jon's arms.

The goals of Snow, Boltons, Danerys, etc., were all quite different. Goals and the underlying ideologies (?maybe?) are important to me.

"Killing many innocent people? Like pretty much everyone else?" - Cochise, were you opposed to Great Britian's participation in the World Wars?
In the book he did.

Yes. I'm a pacifist. Wars just make things worse. But a 'just war' - if there is such a thing - would be fought against the purveyors of racial genocide and slavery. Both of which Daenerys was fighting.

Back