• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The island Gnome has moved! He's now further forward, and to his right, of where he was before. He's also slightly tilted... perhaps he was out on a bender last night?

(It's grey and drizzling today, so no photo.)

The Falmouth Island Gnome has disappeared! :shock: Last seen on Wednesday, it's reported. Can this be connected to the sudden closure of a Falmouth pub that same day? Alert MI6 and Interpol!

Police investigate after woman wakes up to find 107 gnomes in front garden

A woman woke up to find more than 100 gnomes carefully arranged in her front garden.

Marcela Telehanicova was pulling her curtains when she was confronted by 107 gnomes in a formation on her front path at her home in Ivybridge, Devon in the early hours of June 2.

"Ok, who the f*** has put 100 gnomes outside my front door?!?!" the 30-year-old posted on her Facebook page after the discovery.

Police are now investigating the incident amid concerns the gnomes were stolen.

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said no gnomes had been reported missing from local garden centres and urged residents to check their properties to see whether any gnomes had disappeared.

Ms Telehanicova is quoted by the Plymouth Herald as saying: "I was in hysterics, I found it really funny.

“It’s the best, most bizarre thing that has ever happened to me."

A police spokesperson said officers were investigating whether someone was "playing a game of gnomes". Someone has taken quite a bit of time and effort to place them there. It has unsettled the home-owner who has no idea why there were put in her front garden at night. We are seeking to establish where the gnomes have come from.

The question is whether they are stolen, or if it's a prank and someone is playing a game of gnomes.

– DEVON AND CORNWALL POLICE
Last updated Tue 9 Jun 2015

Source ITV News website

Mr P

(I tried for 5 minutes to find the Gnome News thread, but gave up and added as new story, feel free to merge, any mods whose "search-foo" skills are better than mine)

I wish someone would do that for me. I love gnomes! This is the one my husband got me for our last anniversary.
image.jpg

If it was me, I would assume I was under attack. I hope she has a sledge hammer at hand.

It's the
way they are all..... looking :(

My eldest gave me a garden gnome that looks like one of the Mr. Men characters for Mother's Day. Everyone who comes notices it. Probably the plants will grow and cover it a bit like the large pelican she gave me last time.

In the US, it's not an uncommon prank to put hundreds of plastic pink flamingos in a person's yard overnight. Maybe the garden gnome invasion is the UK version? Though somewhat more expensive, methinks. The appeal of flamingos is that they're cheap and have maximum tacky quotient. Garden gnomes have more of a middle class reputation.

In the US, it's not an uncommon prank to put hundreds of plastic pink flamingos in a person's yard overnight. Maybe the garden gnome invasion is the UK version? Though somewhat more expensive, methinks. The appeal of flamingos is that they're cheap and have maximum tacky quotient. Garden gnomes have more of a middle class reputation.

I think over here too (in the UK) people have gone crazy for MeerKats.

Q564-1.jpg

If you don't like your gnomes, send them to me... please!
I like all my other gnomes but I think especially with the pelican which is cement that it would cost a lot to send it to you from here in Australia. My youngest likes gnomes but her taste is more like mine,and we swap plants as well, unlike the eldest who says she has a black, not a green thumb.

One of my Sister's old house mates was in the GLF (Gnome Liberation Front) ... two of their stunts were nicking a load of gnomes and leaving them to be found standing at the local bus stop and building a mini Stone Henge out of house bricks with gnomes standing around looking at it on a traffic island. Me and some mates nicked a load once and left them in the front of some swanky mansion's garden one night.

A few pages back, Rynner pasted an article which attributed the revival of the gnome or dwarf figure to Disney's Snow White (1937).

That would account for the gnome incident in Hitchcock's Young & Innocent, made at the peak of Snow White mania: the gatecrashers at a child's birthday party pick up a gnome from the porch of the house and pretend it is their gift.

The topicality of the joke has faded somewhat but it testifies to the widespread temptation to relocate or repurpose these monstrosities. :eek:

A few pages back, Rynner pasted an article which attributed the revival of the gnome or dwarf figure to Disney's Snow White (1937).

That would account for the gnome incident in Hitchcock's Young & Innocent, made at the peak of Snow White mania: the gatecrashers at a child's birthday party pick up a gnome from the porch of the house and pretend it is their gift.

The topicality of the joke has faded somewhat but it testifies to the widespread temptation to relocate or repurpose these monstrosities. :eek:
By strange coincidence, I am watching Snow White and the Hunstman.

Murder most foul! RIP Norman

Nankersey mascot among fundraising gnomes smashed by vandals
3917817.jpg

Norman with some of his 'family'
Last updated 10:00 Friday 19 June 2015 by Peter Johnstone, Reporter

The mascot of Nankersey Rowing Club was one of the victims when vandals struck in Flushing early on Tuesday morning.
A group caused £65 of damage when they took garden ornaments and "smashed them to pieces," and stole newspapers worth around £30 from Flushing Village Stores as they made their way through the village at around 12.30am.

Paul Lightfoot had three garden gnomes, each about three foot high and used for fundraising events in the village, stolen from outside his house near the shop, including Norman, the mascot for Nankersey.
He was driving home from collecting his daughter from work when he came over the crest of the hill at about half twelve and saw a group with the gnomes.
He said: "A couple must have panicked. One got dropped and broken on the ground, one got thrown into a house and smashed into God knows how many pieces. I turned up St Peter's Hill and found another one outside the church, also smashed."
He added: "It was a group of youngsters. Most of them looked quite ok, but it appears a small minority just decided to be mindless idiots."

He had to replace the gnomes, at a cost of £65, as he knew they were an important clue in a fundraising children's treasure hunt
Sandra Skinner, who runs the shop, said she thought it might be related to a "book burning ceremony" that local school children held on the beach to celebrate the end of school and of their exams.
She said the perpetrators had taken about £25 to £30 worth of papers that she had left out in a side alley to return with the morning delivery driver, and had "obviously found them and chucked them around the village."
She added: "I think it was the school children having fun on the beach or on the bowling green. They have pinched my papers and trashed the neighbours' garden gnomes. Smashed them to pieces."

Sandra managed to find about five papers from about 25, and added: "They don't realise they cost people money to replace things. For a small village shop that's a lot of money.
"I don't mind anyone having a bit of fun but you shouldn't destroy people's property."

Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 quoting crime reference CR/42160/15, for the attention of Mark Eyres.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new..._among_fundraising_gnomes_smashed_by_vandals/

Fecking kids! They should be sprayed with quick-setting cement, and then painted in bright colours so they can stand in for the gnomes! :p Or forget the painting, just let the rowing club take them to the deep water channel and drop them in!

Murder most foul! RIP Norman

Nankersey mascot among fundraising gnomes smashed by vandals
3917817.jpg

Norman with some of his 'family'
Last updated 10:00 Friday 19 June 2015 by Peter Johnstone, Reporter

The mascot of Nankersey Rowing Club was one of the victims when vandals struck in Flushing early on Tuesday morning.
A group caused £65 of damage when they took garden ornaments and "smashed them to pieces," and stole newspapers worth around £30 from Flushing Village Stores as they made their way through the village at around 12.30am.

Paul Lightfoot had three garden gnomes, each about three foot high and used for fundraising events in the village, stolen from outside his house near the shop, including Norman, the mascot for Nankersey.
He was driving home from collecting his daughter from work when he came over the crest of the hill at about half twelve and saw a group with the gnomes.
He said: "A couple must have panicked. One got dropped and broken on the ground, one got thrown into a house and smashed into God knows how many pieces. I turned up St Peter's Hill and found another one outside the church, also smashed."
He added: "It was a group of youngsters. Most of them looked quite ok, but it appears a small minority just decided to be mindless idiots."

He had to replace the gnomes, at a cost of £65, as he knew they were an important clue in a fundraising children's treasure hunt
Sandra Skinner, who runs the shop, said she thought it might be related to a "book burning ceremony" that local school children held on the beach to celebrate the end of school and of their exams.
She said the perpetrators had taken about £25 to £30 worth of papers that she had left out in a side alley to return with the morning delivery driver, and had "obviously found them and chucked them around the village."
She added: "I think it was the school children having fun on the beach or on the bowling green. They have pinched my papers and trashed the neighbours' garden gnomes. Smashed them to pieces."

Sandra managed to find about five papers from about 25, and added: "They don't realise they cost people money to replace things. For a small village shop that's a lot of money.
"I don't mind anyone having a bit of fun but you shouldn't destroy people's property."

Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 quoting crime reference CR/42160/15, for the attention of Mark Eyres.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new..._among_fundraising_gnomes_smashed_by_vandals/

Fecking kids! They should be sprayed with quick-setting cement, and then painted in bright colours so they can stand in for the gnomes! :p Or forget the painting, just let the rowing club take them to the deep water channel and drop them in!

Why's the big gnome doing a Nazi salute?

Back