• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Garlic's Many Uses: Folkloric, Credible & Stupid

A

Anonymous

My Dad used to make me eat a tablespoon of chopped raw garlic mixed with brown sugar or honey whenever I had a cold or a sore throat...
But then he used to make me take a tablespoon of cod liver oil every day too as well as bran tablets and multivits and minerals....

Last edited by a moderator:
The pungent herb Allium Sativum (wild variety: Allium Vineal) is deemed by many to be effective as a vampire repellent. In 450 BC, Herodotus, the Greek historian, in Euterpe: Concerning the History of Europe, remarks about an inscription inside the Cheops pyramid at Gisa, built circa 2900 BC, that attests to the value of garlic’s arcane properties. It was invariably employed to ward off evil spirits, and still is.

Just why is garlic supposed to be repulsive to the undead anyway? What is the active ingredient or thing that makes it unique? Why won't entering a vampire's crypt with a parsnip or broccoli floret have the same effect?

Strong smells, for some reason, have often been associated with banishing evil spirits, etc. IIRC, burning Asa Foetida had much the same effect (but not on vampires).

I always thought that garlic thinned the blood, so was anathema to the vampires who feasted on it.

I always thought that garlic thinned the blood, so was anathema to the vampires who feasted on it.

Asprin does that too.

"Back Foul Fiend! Beyond this packet of Anadin Ultra!"

"Quick! Douse the nightstalking leech with the cleansing vials of Lemsip, and release us from this curse forever!"

Hey, it could work, you never know. Anadin, kills pain and the undead, available without prescription from your pharmacist.

"Yeah, sign of the cross to you and all mate!"

Hey it's not as dumb as it sounds - check out what's on the front of a Disprin packet. Okay, it's supposed to be a sword but it looks rather like a...

Is there something we're not being told? Are they mass-producing this stuff for some sinister reason?

Seriously though, if anyone has the lowdown on why garlic is so crucial I'd love to know.

A quick google brought up this site http://www.shroudeater.com/agarlic.htm

Which, amongst other things, claims that arsenic was originally used as a deterrent against evil spirits, but garlic was used as a cheaper substitute. Doesn't really answer the question but might provide another avenue of research

Someone should ask Exorcistate:

"So, do common headache and cold remedies repel the undead?"

Just why is garlic supposed to be repulsive to the undead anyway? What is the active ingredient or thing that makes it unique? Why won't entering a vampire's crypt with a parsnip or broccoli floret have the same effect?
Medicinally garlic has been used since time immemorial as a blood purifying agent and it has effective anti-bacterial properties.

Amongst other things white (representational of the moon), and considered, `pure,' or purifying, (like silver and salt), garlic is sacred to the Moon Goddess. In this case Hecate. Garlic may have originally, been use to invoke the protective aspect of the Goddess of the witches against demons and evil spirits, in this case, vampires.

The cloves might be considered to represent crescent moons. In the Dracula I think that it's the flowers that are used as protection, mind you.

Apparently the sanskrit name for garlic means `slayer of monsters.' Perhaps, this takes the belief all the way back to an association with Kali?

Very interesting, Andro, particularly when vampire hunting and exorcism is supposed to involve only Christian paraphenalia.

As for anti-bacterial properties, are we to think that vampirism is akin to a sore throat or a bit of a sniffle? :D

I love garlic in food, but it might have wider uses: Slugs take fright at garlic
Garlic could be the new way to drive slugs away from our lettuce without using pesticides.

The smelly herb not only seems to keep vampires at bay, but scientists say it also drives slugs and snails out of the garden.

Biologists from the University of Newcastle, UK, have found that a barrier of garlic oil repelled the molluscs.

Dr Gordon Port, who heads the research project, described at the British Association's science festival in Salford, Greater Manchester, how exposure to refined garlic can even kill slugs.

Garlic has been co-planted as an anti-pest control for hundreds of years.

Mucus overproduction

Dr Port's experiment now shows that an experimental refined garlic spray called Ecoguard can effectively deter slugs. It is not yet clear how garlic exerts its repulsive effect.

But Dr Port described how prolonged exposure can kill the slugs: "They show an overproduction of mucus. They seem to dry up."

He suspects the oil damages the creatures' nervous systems, but he is not entirely sure how.

After the laboratory results, the garlic oil now needs to be tested in the field.

"We want to find out how garlic affects other creatures living in the soil, the right concentration to use, how it affects the taste of food and many other things," Dr Port said.

Keen gardeners might not have to wait for test results.

"You could try to make it up yourself," he said.

As a common cooking ingredient it should be safe to use but the tricky bit is to work out the right concentration of garlic.

Pesticide cost

As more and more pesticides were withdrawn from sale, this common cooking ingredient might pose a viable, eco-friendly alternative, Dr Port said.

An estimated £30m a year is spent in the UK to protect lettuce, Brussels sprouts, potatoes and winter wheat from slugs and snails.

"Pesticide have been terrific at preventing pests and increase food availability."

But amid growing awareness of their potential dangers, the number of pesticides available to gardeners and farmers had gone down in recent years, he explained.

Many products that were not entered into the European Union review of pesticides which began in 1995 were withdrawn from sale in the UK on 24 July this year.

Now the hunt for effective and bio-friendly alternatives is on.

"We need to find new environmentally friendly and cost-effective ways of controlling molluscs, and garlic could be our answer," said Dr Port.

Sounds interesting, but I think I'll stick with my friendly hedge hog, he does stirling work munching the slimy critters at night and I don't think he'd take too kindly to added garlic.

Garlic sounds a good idea but it would spoil the pleasure I take on
warm Summer nights, patrolling my little plot with a lantern and a
salt cellar. The dehydration of a fat slug or snail can be surprisingly
noisy: one snail whistled as he went.

It is cruel but quicker than chopping them in pieces with a trowel. The
pieces can writhe for hours.

Anyway it is a fine old British tradition and I don't intend to hang up my
pink jacket and carefully trained slug-hound. When I mentioned pleasure
I really meant ecological necessity. I invite anyone to witness the beauty
of this fine sport and to bring their babies for a ritual "slugging".

Next week: I defend my right to shoot weevils. :p

James Whitehead said:
It is cruel but quicker than chopping them in pieces with a trowel. The
pieces can writhe for hours.

I just pick them up and hurl them next door...

If you have a slug or snail problem in your garden, going around trying to pick off individuals with salt may be fun, but it's time consuming. A much easier way to kill them off it to use the ol' beer trick.

In various places around the garden, dig small holes, into which drop a disposable plastic cup (or similar small vessel) which has ben trimmed to about half it's size. Pour some beer in the bottom, so it's about half full.

Slugs and snails seem to like beer - they will come along, have a drink, get a little inebriated, drop in and then drown. Shurely this must be a better way to finish them off - after all, one of them might be a reincarnated ancestor...

:p

James Whitehead said:
Garlic sounds a good idea but it would spoil the pleasure I take on
warm Summer nights, patrolling my little plot with a lantern and a
salt cellar.

Very therapeutic after a stressful day...:D I've noticed a big drop in the population in my garden after doing that all last summer (salting upwards of 100 a night in the space of ten minutes!). Unfortunately doesn't help get the smaller b*ggers that hide in the soil... :furious:

egg shells and garlic remove slugs rather well, they seem like vampires (egg shells being a metaphor for stakes) :D

p.younger said:
...I'll stick with my friendly hedge hog, he does stirling work munching the slimy critters at night and I don't think he'd take too kindly to added garlic.

Have you asked him? He might love the stuff and invite all his mates. You could even provide a dip and some of the small cups of beer (for the hedgehogs not the slugs).

The salt thing is too gross.

It's ok if you can take them out in one go, but if you don't get enough on them you come out the next day and there's all these snails going around with most of their heads burnt off...

Moly, or Golden Garlic is actually a flowering onion. Described in many Greek classic stories and can be grown (with a bit of luck and some care) in the UK. It has a quite pleasant smell, not at all onion / garlic-y unless the flowers or stem are crushed. Useful for ceremonies carried out in late spring - when it flowers naturally.

There's a nasty rumor that's been around for years that women in need of a yeast infection cure should look no further than the produce aisle. The myth states that the simple act of inserting a garlic clove into your treasured female bits will help to remedy the entirely unpleasant sensation that anyone in possession of a vagina has at some point experienced.

It turns out this DIY method is actually not an effective treatment for that internal burning or itching. In fact, it can actually harmyour lady garden. And that's why Dr. Jen Gunter, OBGYN and author of The Vagina Bible, wrote a (now viral) thread of tweets to end the cycle of fake vajayjay news.

gunter-square.jpg

Dr. Gunter

At least twice a month, she tells us, her patients inform her that they've attempted to self "medicate" with garlic. The legend is so pervasive, she says, because it's a long-standing tale that's now being further spread by resources like Our Bodies, Ourselves which "people consider legitimate" and automatically believe.

Why is Gunter taking a stand? Besides the fact that she's had to "dig little pieces of garlic out of vaginas at work, which doesn't make people happy," she adds that using garlic in this fashion is "completely unstudied." Sure, it does have a compound with antifungal properties that's been tested to a small extent—but "something that is seen in a petri dish in a lab is different from what's happening in your vagina."

https://www.oprahmag.com/life/health/a27245254/garlic-vagina-yeast-infection-myth-dr-guntner/

maximus otter

a garlic clove into your treasured female bits will help to remedy the entirely unpleasant sensation that anyone in possession of a vagina has at some point experienced.

er.... what entirely unpleasant sensation? I've owned mine for many years and it continues to give satisfaction, so to speak. What on earth is this "entirely unpleasant sensation"? :actw:

Reactions: Ger
Yoghurt used to be the thing and I have seen a video in which a cucumber provided some relief.

Tzatziki must be amazing! :nurse:

Be it true or not, yoghurt has always been the home cure for a yeast infection in this neck of the woods.

I think she means cystitus, it burns, and yogurt has been used for yeast infections for a while, never heard of garlic being used tho, does it go with fish

*runs off*

The salt thing is too gross.

It's ok if you can take them out in one go, but if you don't get enough on them you come out the next day and there's all these snails going around with most of their heads burnt off...
Yup. Do you want a mutated slug zombie invasion? Because that's how you get a mutated slug zombie invasion.

Garlic - Someone gave me a sprouting garlic bulb. I put it in water and forgot about it. Picked it up today and it's still growing and I now stink of the stuff.

Back