• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Garlic's Many Uses: Folkloric, Credible & Stupid

You need one of those metal "soap" bars, can't remember the brand name, but after handling garlic you wash your hands with it and the aroma departs. No idea how it works!

Garlic - Someone gave me a sprouting garlic bulb. I put it in water and forgot about it. Picked it up today and it's still growing and I now stink of the stuff.
What ..... on earth were you doing with it ? :eek:

You need one of those metal "soap" bars, can't remember the brand name, but after handling garlic you wash your hands with it and the aroma departs. No idea how it works!
Lemon juice is suppose to be good for getting rid of the smell of garlic on your hands

This is True. No, I don't know how it works.

We have wild garlic growing in my home town in abundance if you know where to look. I love all garlic but free garlic's even better. My local Chinese takeaway restaurant will even do me garlic pork spare ribs that aren't even on the menu.

This is True. No, I don't know how it works.
Garlic contains molecules with sulfur. ... When you touch stainless steel, the molecules in the steel bind with the sulfur molecules on your hands, thus transferring the molecules (along with the smell) to the metal and off from your hands. Presto! No more garlicky fingers.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/eliminating-garlic-smell_n_1341413

The recent TikTok craze for sticking garlic cloves up one's nostrils to clear a stuffy nose is a bogus pseudo-cure, according to medical experts.
Gnarly ‘garlic in nose’ TikTok trend makes stuffy noses worse: docs

Shoving garlic cloves up your nose is snot a good idea.

One of the new year’s most hazardous trends isn’t just odious — it reeks of pseudoscience, experts said.

The harebrained hack has unofficial healers corking up their nostrils with raw garlic cloves for approximately 10 to 15 minutes in attempt to unclog a stuffy snout.

After the user removes the garlic, a flash flood of mucus gushes from their noses, prompting the semblance and sensation of actual decongestion. But what’s really happening is far from therapeutic, Erich Voigt, associate professor in the Department of Otolaryngology at NYU Langone Health, told The Post. ...

“The body wants to immediately expel the garlic and its chemicals, so it’s creating an overflow of mucus to flush out that irritant,” he continued, noting that the new crop of mucus is adding to the collection of clotted phlegm that originally caused the nasal congestion.

“And because the nose is plugged up, the mucus can’t circulate like it would if you were breathing in and out, it’s just accumulating,” he said.

In other words, that deluge of snot TikTokers observed is merely a product of their own doing. “It’s not the mucus that was trapped in there due to the disease or virus, it’s the production of mucus meant to get the garlic out,” Voigt said. ...
FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2022/01/04/tiktoks-garlic-in-nose-health-hack-could-cause-damage-docs/

Doesn't botulism grow well on garlic?
Yes, you have to be careful with homemade products that contain garlic in oil, although anything grown in soil can cause botulism.
I often make chimichurri (an Argentinian sauce/marinade/dip) which has plenty of vinegar and salt in it, (so it's much safer than just garlic in oil as the vinegar and salt kills the bacteria).

Concerning the use of garlic to repel unwanted wildlife;
I once went to visit a friend in Israel who I had worked for years before. An Argentinian chap. Late one night a spider the size of a small plate wandered in, right past me and into the bedroom that I was staying in. How it got in, I'll never know because there was mosquito netting on all the doors and windows. (I didn't even know that Israel had such big spiders, as I'd never encountered one that size before).
I told my friend and he just said don't worry about it. As I was acting like the maid on the Tom and Jerry cartoon when she saw the mouse, he realised that this wimpy, Limey Brit was a bit concerned about having to spend the night in a room with it, and was about to have a heart attack, so we went into the room and found it. He sprayed it with a bit of fly spray to make it groggy, and shuffled it outside with his foot. Once outside he bent down, picked it up by one of its legs, examined it and said in his Spanish accent, ''is ok boy'' and threw it in the bushes.

Anyway, he then got a bulb of garlic the size of an apple, cut it in half and we went around rubbing all the window cills/door steps etc.
As this guy had done his national service in the jungles of south America, I take it that he knew what he was doing and that the garlic would indeed have the effect of keeping such things out of the house.

Even so, later on when in bed, I didn't close my eyes that night.

Ah poor thing, it was just being social and welcoming, you didn't have to have it murdered by your heavy. I like spiders, I can't say garlic has much effect on the thousands of spiders in our shed which is storing last year's garlic crop in several strings. We have probably a 400 heads of garlic in there.

It does seem to ward off evil spirits, the neighbour over the back used to lift the fence panel and wander in from time to time and help himself to my tools but the garlic seems to have stopped that. Or maybe the spiders did, come to think of it.

Ah poor thing, it was just being social and welcoming, you didn't have to have it murdered by your heavy. I like spiders, I can't say garlic has much effect on the thousands of spiders in our shed which is storing last year's garlic crop in several strings. We have probably a 400 heads of garlic in there.

It does seem to ward off evil spirits, the neighbour over the back used to lift the fence panel and wander in from time to time and help himself to my tools but the garlic seems to have stopped that. Or maybe the spiders did, come to think of it.
No, no it was perfectly fine, just a bit groggy. I'm just glad that I saw it go in the bedroom before I was asleep in there because if I'd woken up and seen it or worse, felt it, I would have had a damn heart attack without doubt.

Ah I see, I misunderstood and thought it had been killed. Though I don't imagine the fly spray was particularly good for its long term health!

I can't say garlic has much effect on the thousands of spiders in our shed which is storing last year's garlic crop in several strings. We have probably a 400 heads of garlic in there.

Ah I see, I misunderstood and thought it had been killed. Though I don't imagine the fly spray was particularly good for its long term health!
They also say conkers keep spiders away, but I've seen those covered in webs, so I'm not so sure about that theory either.

In ye very olde days, to find out if a woman was fertile, some garlic was inserted into her vagina. After some interval (your guess is as good as mine) if her breath smelled of garlic then the answer was yes.

The recent TikTok craze for sticking garlic cloves up one's nostrils to clear a stuffy nose is a bogus pseudo-cure, according to medical experts.

FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2022/01/04/tiktoks-garlic-in-nose-health-hack-could-cause-damage-docs/
Having eaten whole cloves of garlic and felt the burning they can produce on the way down, I'm astonished that anyone would do that, between the stink and the sting.

I've also been informed by somewhat reliable sources that eating a lot of garlic makes one unattractive to biteys like mosquitoes and no see'ums.

Having eaten whole cloves of garlic and felt the burning they can produce on the way down, I'm astonished that anyone would do that, between the stink and the sting.
I tried it just the once. Hottest thing I'd ever eaten, pretty much.

Garlic to me (like curry, chilli and most spices) is a sledgehammer to the senses - you can't hide it, disguise it, or stop it from swamping any other flavour. You have to be lucky enough to like or tolerate it.

Back