• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gas Bubbles Sinking Ships

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
I thought we had a thread on this but I couldn't find one.

A bizarre report of an explosion under a floating restraunt in Leith in yesterdays Edinburgh Evening News

AN investigation was under way today after a floating restaurant on the Water of Leith was rocked by a mystery explosion.

Diners on the Cruz boat at The Shore were evacuated following the blast which caused glasses and crockery to fall from shelves.

The tremors were reportedly also felt by residents in the area.

Eye-witnesses reported a strong smell of sulphur in the air and bubbles in the water around the boat on The Shore.

Police, firefighters and paramedics were all called to the scene just after 8pm, but no-one was injured and the restaurant is not thought to have suffered any structural damage.

Sassan Pour, co-owner, said: "I was on board at the time, it was a very large noise - even the buildings next to us shook.

"It sounded like a big bomb. It was hard to say where it came from, it could have been from underwater. The place was full - we had a salsa class about to start. Initially everyone was stunned. Some people wanted to stay on board but we had to evacuate."

He added: "The explosion was not from within the boat and it has not done any damage.

"I have shown health and safety round and we will wait for their report."

A gas explosion has been ruled out as the cause of the blast as investigations involving the council, Scottish Water and Scotland Gas Networks, continue.

A city council spokeswoman added: "Council staff were called out at around 9pm to check the damage to a building. We found no structural damage.

"Scottish Water and Scotland Gas Networks also attended and we expect they will continue their investigations today."

The Shore was shut until 1am as investigations were carried out.

Fire crews from the McDonald Road station kept a watching brief but were not needed.

A spokeswoman for Scotland Gas Networks said: "Tests suggested there was no involvement of gas."

The Shore's newest venue was only opened in December following a £1.1 million makeover.

It was converted from the Ocean Mist boat by entrepreneurs Matthew Tabatabaie and Mr Pour.

Mr Tabatabaie came to Edinburgh from Iran in the 1970s to study at Napier University, and had spotted the vessel more than 20-years-ago on the Shore when it was being used as a restaurant.

The former Royal Navy steam trawler has been deployed for everything from sweeping mines to ferrying cars across the sea for the Guinness family.

A Scottish Water spokesman said today: "We were asked to attend to provide any technical assistance needed. However, we established it was not a Scottish Water issue as we are not responsible for the stretch of river."

The smell of sulhpur made me wonder if it was one of those gas explosion thingies thought to be resposible for many mystery ship sinkings.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinb ... =561902007

AN explosion underneath a floating restaurant on the Water of Leith has been blamed on a freak build-up of natural gasses.

The blast was so strong it was measured by scientists at the British Geological Survey, who monitor earthquakes around the world. Around 50 people had to be evacuated from Cruz, docked at the Shore in Leith, after the explosion on Tuesday night.

But after an exhaustive investigation by police and experts from Scottish Gas Networks, criminal activity and a commercial gas leak were ruled out, leading to the conclusion that natural causes were to blame.

David Booth, of the British Geological Survey, said: "It was a small incident, but for people in the area I imagine it would have sounded as loud as a quarry blast."

Interesting theory.

My inner adolescent wants to crack a fart joke right now, but I shall resist.

Ah go on, crack one off.

Someone should kick up a stink about these bad jokes.

I've got a Saturday morning head on me right now so I cant remember fully, but hasnt massive gas bubbles rising to the surface been suggested as a cause of ship loss in the Bermuda triangle before?
Mr P

Last edited by a moderator:
Back