• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gayest Countries in the World

littleblackduck

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Australia and US found to be 'gayest countries'

Researchers have concluded more than 17% of Australians and Americans are involved in gay or lesbian relationships.

It puts the countries equal first in the world for its proportion of homosexuals.

The worldwide survey of sexual habits by Durex found that at the other end of the scale, Vietnam recorded the lowest proportion of gay and lesbian relationships at 3%.

The company said faking orgasms is also common in Australia, with 47% of respondents admitting to doing so at least once.

This is almost twice the global average of 26%, reports theHerald Sunnewspaper.

The company said Australians enjoyed a busy love life, having sex on average 125 times per year. Hungarians came out on top, having sex 152 times per year. But Australians were still ahead of Americans, at 118 times a year.

The survey also found phone, text and cyber sex were gaining in popularity in Australia, with 43% indulging in "virtual reality sex".

The company said more than 150,000 people took part in the online survey, which is now in its seventh year.

Story filed: 10:01 Tuesday 23rd September 2003

Canada

Canada would be almost as gay as the United States if it weren't for the climate.

No, seriously, Canada would be as gay as the United States if it weren't for gay marriage putting the damper on everybody's sex.

It's hard for a heterosexual to have sex with your knickers in a knot. Fundamentalists call it the Wedgie of Righteousness.

Of course, now that gays and lesbians can marry, their partying days are over, too, or is it also?

Let's not go there. Suffice to say that the dictionary defines "too" as "also" and "also" as "too".

By the by, the Canadian Oxford Dictionary 2004 will have a new definition for "marriage". No, seriously, look it up.

Those numbers are skewed because in the US, every woman must experiment with bisexuality until they're 25. It's the law.

Australian men! Come on! Pull yourselves together!

:D

Of course these results could be ridiculously skewed by what the people questioned felt able to admit to the questioners; for example, if you asked a Nigerian homosexual about their sex-life, they'd see lying as a preferable option to being stoned to death. Also by the percieved permissiveness of the country; again, you're more likely to act on your homosexual urges if you don't fear being stoned to death or disowned by your family for it. This survey also only measures the proportion of homosexual acts, which frankly anyone can do, homosexual or not. I've performed heterosexual acts, but it didn't make me any straighter. My gut feeling is that the actual proportion of potential homosexuals is pretty much the same across the whole human race, what with it being born and not made and all.

Added to which, "gay" and "lesbian" are cultural labels anyway, which might not be understood globally in the same way that we in the joyous west do. For example, my girlfriend of four months vehemently denies being a lesbian, despite all the empirical evidence to the contrary, and I don't blame her; it's a horrible word which leads people to draw horrible conclusions about you (see the Fat Lesbians thread). I, on the other hand, am a lesbian (notfat), but I'm not proud of it and gf thinks it's disgusting. I would almost certainly lie in a survey. See? It's a can o' worms. Open. Everywhere.

Over paid, over sexed and over here

I love that wartime gibe at the American occupiers (1942-1945) of London taxicabs and other bits of the British Isle.

There is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, a "freedom factor" involved in such polls as this, but I think it is entirely negative: the censored censor themselves. Americans and Australians are peculiarly frank, not peculiarly prone to homosexuality, I am sure.

The story posted on the Fortean Times site a couple of days ago about the New Zealand company which had to change its product line name to Zone from "Fairy" something or other because Australian men found it too gay is ironic now that this story has broken.

Priscilla Queen of the Desert is a pretty good movie--and, apparently, a documentary.

Fairy Brand too gay for Australian men

And here it is again:

Fairy brand 'too gay for Australian men'
September 18, 2003

A prominent New Zealand outdoor clothing brand has changed its name to appeal to blokey Australian men - but mountaineering legend Sir Edmund Hillary is not impressed.

Fairydown clothing changed its name to Zone because Australian men did not like the homosexual connotations associated with the word "fairy", the Dominion Post newspaper reported yesterday.

Hugo Venter, managing director at Arthur Ellis which owns the brand, said market research in Australia found the name was holding the brand back.

"They [Australian males] don't want to have Fairydown on their shirts. It's something they don't feel happy with."

Australian sensitivities did not wash with New Zealand mountaineering legend Sir Edmund Hillary, who wore Fairydown clothing and slept in a Fairydown sleeping bag when he conquered Mount Everest with Tenzing Norgay 50 years ago.

Sir Edmund, who still wears Fairydown jackets, thought Australian males were being ridiculous.

Mr Venter said the company had considered retaining the Fairydown clothing name for the New Zealand market, but having different brands for different markets was too difficult.

While the clothing range was called Zone, it would still carry the company name in small print.

NZPA

I'm not surprised Oz is. I went to their Mardi Gras in 2000. It seemed all of Sydney was gay!
What surprised me though was the rubbish left on the streets afterwards. I thought gays were very tidy!

Back