• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gays Can't Whistle?

On another message board, I mentioned the folk belief that a homosexual cannot whistle, and was met with skepticism that there was ever any such (undoubtedly untrue) folklore in the first place.

Not having any Chapter and Verse at hand to back up that this was a folktale, I later found a reference in some literature and posted it to that message, vindicating myself that yes, there was such folklore, even if it was ridiculous and untrue.

Despite my vindication on this matter, when I mentioned the Elton John song, "Amie," with the lyrics, "I can't whistle," and "I have never been kissed by a lady or a man," I was again dismissed by a very enthusiastic homosexual gentleman, that the Elton John song could be in any way connected to the old folk tale.

On another message board, I mentioned the folk belief that a homosexual cannot whistle, and was met with skepticism that there was ever any such (undoubtedly untrue) folklore in the first place.
It's mentioned in "The Man with the Golden Gun", but Fleming outright made stuff up, so he might well have 'coined one'.

Narrator: One way in which ghosts are different from man is that they can't whistle. Try as they might, the most they can muster is a rather feeble hiss. Perhaps it's because their lips are transparent and their tongues are see-through?

[Look Around You : Module 4 : BBC]

Back