Gef: The Talking Mongoose / The Dalby Spook

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
5,881
Likes
830
Points
194
#64
They do have polecats on the IOM

I intend visiting some day too, been intending for some time
 

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
5,881
Likes
830
Points
194
#65
Im reading Mr Prices book now.

Doarlish Cashen is a `very` isolated spot; you may find it on the OS getamap service, its due south of Glenmaye, which is a little south of Peel.

The family seen odd in a normal way, domineering mother, tough, but slightly strange father, shy child with a livley interest in things.

I dont think Vorrey (sic...and her mother was half manx so that is where she got a native name) was Gefs voice, since he knows several languages.

Gef says "I follow Vorrey, ma feeds me and pops answers my questions"

I think Vorrey directed him, ma kept him going and pops gives him speech
 

taras

Least Haunted
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
1,536
Likes
110
Points
94
Location
Edinburgh
#66
Kondoru said:
The family seen odd in a normal way, domineering mother, tough, but slightly strange father, shy child with a livley interest in things.

I dont think Vorrey (sic...and her mother was half manx so that is where she got a native name) was Gefs voice, since he knows several languages.
From my reading of the book, I understood that the father spoke several languages - oddly enough, the same languages that Gef spoke. And with Voirrey's [sic] lively interest in everything, who's to say she didn't pick up some Arabic, Russian, etc from the books or even directly from her father?
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2004
Messages
4,440
Likes
3,180
Points
184
Location
Norwich.
#67
There's a fair sized chapter about Gef in Nandor Fodor's book Haunted People: The Story of the Poltergeist. Fodor seems to have done a far more thorough job of investigating Gef on the spot than Harry Price. Price merely paid a flying visit to Cashen's Gap, whereas Fodor went to stay with the Irvings for a week and also interviewed several local witnesses to the phenomena. Unfortunately, it's another of those books that is near impossible to get hold of these days. At some point I really must get round to typing the chapter up and turning it into a PDF.
 

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
3,958
Likes
2,479
Points
184
#68
Anonymous said:
Does anyone know where I can buy a copy (or a copied version) of the Harry Price book (1936) - "The Haunting of Cashen's Gap" ?
Someone on the above Facebook page has put their spare copy up on Ebay

Well put-together listing, with a few extras thrown in.
 

taras

Least Haunted
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
1,536
Likes
110
Points
94
Location
Edinburgh
#69
Ouch! I just got it on an inter-library loan, much cheaper :)

I'm presuming it's still in copyright (1935?), which is why I'm definitely not half way through digitising the text into a handy Word document..
 

Enderfay

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
33
Likes
0
Points
12
#71
A good few years ago now, there was a display hosted at the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham entitled 'Ghosts'. The bulk of it consisted of the usual, pretentious crap - but one section (the best part of the overall experience, by far) featured the story of Gef.

It took the form of a film (perhaps 30 to 45 minutes duration) comprising of actors taking the part of the different family members involved in the Cashens Gap case.... and talking of their experiences with the poltergeist. Each - from what I can recall - seemed to be indicating that Gef was there 'for them' (within the family unit / house).....

Unfortunately, I've looked around for this film since, but cannot seem to locate it - or it's creator - anywhere? I did write to the Ikon a couple of times, but didn't receive a reply on the matter.....

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com
 

Keybored

Fresh Blood
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
3
Likes
0
Points
7
#72
Enderfay said:
A good few years ago now, there was a display hosted at the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham entitled 'Ghosts'. The bulk of it consisted of the usual, pretentious crap - but one section (the best part of the overall experience, by far) featured the story of Gef.

It took the form of a film (perhaps 30 to 45 minutes duration) comprising of actors taking the part of the different family members involved in the Cashens Gap case.... and talking of their experiences with the poltergeist. Each - from what I can recall - seemed to be indicating that Gef was there 'for them' (within the family unit / house).....

Unfortunately, I've looked around for this film since, but cannot seem to locate it - or it's creator - anywhere? I did write to the Ikon a couple of times, but didn't receive a reply on the matter.....

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com
I think this might be what you're looking for "Vanished! A Video Seance" by poet, sculptor and performance artist, Brian Catling - http://vimeo.com/7847517

I did sit through it a while ago as I'm a bit of a Gef nut. It's certainly quite creepy! :)
 

Enderfay

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
33
Likes
0
Points
12
#73
Keybored said:
I think this might be what you're looking for "Vanished! A Video Seance" by poet, sculptor and performance artist, Brian Catling - http://vimeo.com/7847517

I did sit through it a while ago as I'm a bit of a Gef nut. It's certainly quite creepy! :)
Lord bless you Keybored - you're a star!!! That's the very thing!!!

Many thanks - and all the best,

Nick
 

Keybored

Fresh Blood
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
3
Likes
0
Points
7
#74
Enderfay said:
Keybored said:
I think this might be what you're looking for "Vanished! A Video Seance" by poet, sculptor and performance artist, Brian Catling - http://vimeo.com/7847517

I did sit through it a while ago as I'm a bit of a Gef nut. It's certainly quite creepy! :)
Lord bless you Keybored - you're a star!!! That's the very thing!!!

Many thanks - and all the best,

Nick
You're very welcome ;)
 

Enderfay

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
33
Likes
0
Points
12
#75
In relating the poltergeist matter (that I've recently posted up on here http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42661) to another group member a day or so back, he said to me that it reminded him of the Gef / Cashens Gap case in some way!!! Laugh, laugh!!! How about that for a bit of synchronicity, eh!?!? Laugh!!!!

Have you got a copy of the 'Haunting Of Cashens Gap' by Price Keybored? I'm led to believe it's a bit of a rarity these days?

All the best,

Nick ;) ;)
 

Keybored

Fresh Blood
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
3
Likes
0
Points
7
#76
Enderfay said:
Have you got a copy of the 'Haunting Of Cashens Gap' by Price Keybored? I'm led to believe it's a bit of a rarity these days?

All the best,

Nick ;) ;)
I'd love to own a copy of the book Enderfay, but as you say it is indeed quite a rarity these days. I believe someone on Gef's Facebook fan page put a copy on Ebay recently with a starting price of around £100 if I remember correctly, not sure if it was sold or not though.

Would have been tempted to put in a bid myself if I could afford it! :)
 

Enderfay

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
33
Likes
0
Points
12
#77
Keybored said:
I'd love to own a copy of the book Enderfay, but as you say it is indeed quite a rarity these days. I believe someone on Gef's Facebook fan page put a copy on Ebay recently with a starting price of around £100 if I remember correctly, not sure if it was sold or not though.

Would have been tempted to put in a bid myself if I could afford it! :)
I saw a reference to a copy a long while back, but it was offered at a silly price! Laugh!! (Can't recall what it was now, exactly?)

I'm sure there is a copy in a box in a loft somewhere, which will inevitably turn up in a charity shop for 10p one day!!! Laugh, laugh!!!

Re. Gef references - I've just looked at Prices 'Poltergeist' volume and found only two incredibly brief mentions..... one of which gives the appraisal 'unconvincing talking mongoose'!! Laugh!! In the book 'Harry Price Ghost Hunter' by Paul Tabori, it seems (from the index) the case wasn't even worth mentioning!?!

All the best to thee,

Nick
 

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
3,958
Likes
2,479
Points
184
#81
An event in Russel Square, London:
I AM THE FIFTH DIMENSION!

AN EVENING WITH GEF THE TALKING MONGOOSE AND FRIENDS

WEDS 19TH MARCH, 7:30PM


TICKETS £5 ADVANCE (CLICK HERE) £6.50 ON THE DOOR

FEATURING BRIAN CATLING, TONY GRISONI AND CHRISTOPHER JOSIFFE.

What haunted a remote Isle of Man farmhouse in the early 1930s? Was it a spirit? A miniature man-weasel, or a projection from a disturbed family’s collective psyche?

The tale of Gef the talking mongoose is one of the strangest in all the annals of paranormal research, and remains unsolved to this day.

Tonight, we feature a presentation by Christopher Josiffe, the world’s foremost authority on the story, alongside a screening of Vanished! A Video Seance (1999), a unsettling impressionistic account of the events. The film will be followed by a Q&A with writer-directors Brian Catling and Toni Grisioni.
http://www.thehorsehospital.com/now/i-a ... dimension/
 
S

Sifaka317

Guest
#82
And now Gef has his own symposium!
A symposium on Gef, the Talking Mongoose: “If you knew what I know, you’d know a hell of a lot!”
Thursday 10th April, 2 p.m.
Location: Seng Tee Lee, Senate House Library, University of London.
http://www.senatehouselibrary.ac.uk/2014/03/13/gef-symposium/
Programme

2pm: Welcome; On the trail of the Dalby Spook: an archival and anecdotal quest, Christopher Josiffe

2.30: Crossed Lines of the Dream Operators: a conversation concerning Gef, The Radiant Cat, and WS Burroughs’ Third Mind, Robin Klarzynski

2.55: Animal apparitions and sexual symbolism in poltergeist cases: the example of Gef the talking mongoose, Alan Murdie

3.20: Gef: A Modern Sphinx as an Esoteric Lesson about Oneness, Mark Bell (in absentia)

3.40 Questions

4.00 Break (tea, coffee and cake provided)

4.15: Reading the mongoose, and the mongoose reading, Richard Espley

4.40: Gef on Television? Nigel Kneale’s Beasts and the Desacralization of Modernity, Craig Wallace

5.00: Questions

5.20: Break

5.30: Brian Catling & Tony Grisoni – introduction to Vanished!

5.50: Vanished! screening

6.50: Closing remarks and discussion.
But will he show up in person?
 

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
5,881
Likes
830
Points
194
#83
No, he wont, hes very fussy, as you know.

And he actualy has a fear of the supernatural.
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2004
Messages
4,440
Likes
3,180
Points
184
Location
Norwich.
#84

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
55,239
Likes
9,013
Points
284
#85
"Mongoose is the popular English name for 29 of 34[2] species in the 14 genera of the family Herpestidae, which are small carnivorans that are native to southern Eurasia and mainland Africa."
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoose

So what's Gef doing in the IoM? Perhaps he's really a weasel?

Weasels are mammals forming the genus Mustela of the Mustelidae family. The genus includes the weasels, European polecats, stoats, ferrets and European minks.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel

Are there any reports of him flying around on a woodpecker? ;)
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2004
Messages
4,440
Likes
3,180
Points
184
Location
Norwich.
#87
Gef on FB? Here I come, ready or not!
Yay! The more the merrier! It's gone a bit quiet recently, but Christopher Josiffe (who wrote the FT Gef article and recently organised a Gef symposium) posts quite often, and veteran UFOlogist Timothy Green Beckley pops up now and then (usually to post a link to something about aliens, but hey, it's all Fortean!).
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2004
Messages
4,440
Likes
3,180
Points
184
Location
Norwich.
#88
So what's Gef doing in the IoM? Perhaps he's really a weasel?
Could well be. Gef himself said "I am a ghost in the form of a weasel, and I shall haunt you with weird noises and clanking chains."

Although on the other hand he also said "I am not a spirit. I am a little extra, extra clever mongoose."

Also, he was apparently once asked to chase away some weasels from the farm, and stated " I don't want a combat and a turmoil with them!"
 
Last edited:

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Joined
Jan 19, 2014
Messages
2,225
Likes
1,939
Points
159
#89
Wow! There's a debate about to which species belongs a poltergeist, mongoose or weasel. This can be a surreal place! Of course, while mongooses are not native to the Isle of Man, small talking carnivores are not especially well known from any part of the world. So, perhaps he's really a space alien.:eek:
 
Top