• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A good few years ago now, there was a display hosted at the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham entitled 'Ghosts'. The bulk of it consisted of the usual, pretentious crap - but one section (the best part of the overall experience, by far) featured the story of Gef.

It took the form of a film (perhaps 30 to 45 minutes duration) comprising of actors taking the part of the different family members involved in the Cashens Gap case.... and talking of their experiences with the poltergeist. Each - from what I can recall - seemed to be indicating that Gef was there 'for them' (within the family unit / house).....

Unfortunately, I've looked around for this film since, but cannot seem to locate it - or it's creator - anywhere? I did write to the Ikon a couple of times, but didn't receive a reply on the matter.....

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

Enderfay said:
A good few years ago now, there was a display hosted at the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham entitled 'Ghosts'. The bulk of it consisted of the usual, pretentious crap - but one section (the best part of the overall experience, by far) featured the story of Gef.

It took the form of a film (perhaps 30 to 45 minutes duration) comprising of actors taking the part of the different family members involved in the Cashens Gap case.... and talking of their experiences with the poltergeist. Each - from what I can recall - seemed to be indicating that Gef was there 'for them' (within the family unit / house).....

Unfortunately, I've looked around for this film since, but cannot seem to locate it - or it's creator - anywhere? I did write to the Ikon a couple of times, but didn't receive a reply on the matter.....

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

I think this might be what you're looking for "Vanished! A Video Seance" by poet, sculptor and performance artist, Brian Catling - vimeo.com/7847517
Link is dead. No archived version found.

I did sit through it a while ago as I'm a bit of a Gef nut. It's certainly quite creepy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Keybored said:
I think this might be what you're looking for "Vanished! A Video Seance" by poet, sculptor and performance artist, Brian Catling - vimeo.com/7847517

I did sit through it a while ago as I'm a bit of a Gef nut. It's certainly quite creepy! :)

Lord bless you Keybored - you're a star!!! That's the very thing!!!

Many thanks - and all the best,

Nick

Enderfay said:
Keybored said:

Lord bless you Keybored - you're a star!!! That's the very thing!!!

Many thanks - and all the best,

Nick

You're very welcome ;)

Have you got a copy of the 'Haunting Of Cashens Gap' by Price Keybored? I'm led to believe it's a bit of a rarity these days?

All the best,

Nick ;) ;)

Enderfay said:
Have you got a copy of the 'Haunting Of Cashens Gap' by Price Keybored? I'm led to believe it's a bit of a rarity these days?

All the best,

Nick ;) ;)

I'd love to own a copy of the book Enderfay, but as you say it is indeed quite a rarity these days. I believe someone on Gef's Facebook fan page put a copy on Ebay recently with a starting price of around £100 if I remember correctly, not sure if it was sold or not though.

Would have been tempted to put in a bid myself if I could afford it! :)

Keybored said:
I'd love to own a copy of the book Enderfay, but as you say it is indeed quite a rarity these days. I believe someone on Gef's Facebook fan page put a copy on Ebay recently with a starting price of around £100 if I remember correctly, not sure if it was sold or not though.

Would have been tempted to put in a bid myself if I could afford it! :)

I saw a reference to a copy a long while back, but it was offered at a silly price! Laugh!! (Can't recall what it was now, exactly?)

I'm sure there is a copy in a box in a loft somewhere, which will inevitably turn up in a charity shop for 10p one day!!! Laugh, laugh!!!

Re. Gef references - I've just looked at Prices 'Poltergeist' volume and found only two incredibly brief mentions..... one of which gives the appraisal 'unconvincing talking mongoose'!! Laugh!! In the book 'Harry Price Ghost Hunter' by Paul Tabori, it seems (from the index) the case wasn't even worth mentioning!?!

All the best to thee,

Nick

An event in Russel Square, London:
I AM THE FIFTH DIMENSION!

AN EVENING WITH GEF THE TALKING MONGOOSE AND FRIENDS

WEDS 19TH MARCH, 7:30PM

TICKETS £5 ADVANCE (CLICK HERE) £6.50 ON THE DOOR

FEATURING BRIAN CATLING, TONY GRISONI AND CHRISTOPHER JOSIFFE.

What haunted a remote Isle of Man farmhouse in the early 1930s? Was it a spirit? A miniature man-weasel, or a projection from a disturbed family’s collective psyche?

The tale of Gef the talking mongoose is one of the strangest in all the annals of paranormal research, and remains unsolved to this day.

Tonight, we feature a presentation by Christopher Josiffe, the world’s foremost authority on the story, alongside a screening of Vanished! A Video Seance (1999), a unsettling impressionistic account of the events. The film will be followed by a Q&A with writer-directors Brian Catling and Toni Grisioni.
thehorsehospital.com/now/i-a ... dimension/

And now Gef has his own symposium!
A symposium on Gef, the Talking Mongoose: “If you knew what I know, you’d know a hell of a lot!”
Thursday 10th April, 2 p.m.
Location: Seng Tee Lee, Senate House Library, University of London.
senatehouselibrary.ac.uk/2014/03/13/gef-symposium/

Programme

2pm: Welcome; On the trail of the Dalby Spook: an archival and anecdotal quest, Christopher Josiffe

2.30: Crossed Lines of the Dream Operators: a conversation concerning Gef, The Radiant Cat, and WS Burroughs’ Third Mind, Robin Klarzynski

2.55: Animal apparitions and sexual symbolism in poltergeist cases: the example of Gef the talking mongoose, Alan Murdie

3.20: Gef: A Modern Sphinx as an Esoteric Lesson about Oneness, Mark Bell (in absentia)

3.40 Questions

4.00 Break (tea, coffee and cake provided)

4.15: Reading the mongoose, and the mongoose reading, Richard Espley

4.40: Gef on Television? Nigel Kneale’s Beasts and the Desacralization of Modernity, Craig Wallace

5.00: Questions

5.20: Break

5.30: Brian Catling & Tony Grisoni – introduction to Vanished!

5.50: Vanished! screening

6.50: Closing remarks and discussion.

But will he show up in person?

No, he wont, hes very fussy, as you know.

And he actualy has a fear of the supernatural.

"Mongoose is the popular English name for 29 of 34[2] species in the 14 genera of the family Herpestidae, which are small carnivorans that are native to southern Eurasia and mainland Africa."
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoose

So what's Gef doing in the IoM? Perhaps he's really a weasel?

Weasels are mammals forming the genus Mustela of the Mustelidae family. The genus includes the weasels, European polecats, stoats, ferrets and European minks.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel

Are there any reports of him flying around on a woodpecker? ;)

Gef on FB? Here I come, ready or not!

Yay! The more the merrier! It's gone a bit quiet recently, but Christopher Josiffe (who wrote the FT Gef article and recently organised a Gef symposium) posts quite often, and veteran UFOlogist Timothy Green Beckley pops up now and then (usually to post a link to something about aliens, but hey, it's all Fortean!).

So what's Gef doing in the IoM? Perhaps he's really a weasel?

Could well be. Gef himself said "I am a ghost in the form of a weasel, and I shall haunt you with weird noises and clanking chains."

Although on the other hand he also said "I am not a spirit. I am a little extra, extra clever mongoose."

Also, he was apparently once asked to chase away some weasels from the farm, and stated " I don't want a combat and a turmoil with them!"

Last edited:
Wow! There's a debate about to which species belongs a poltergeist, mongoose or weasel. This can be a surreal place! Of course, while mongooses are not native to the Isle of Man, small talking carnivores are not especially well known from any part of the world. So, perhaps he's really a space alien.:eek:

Would be interesting to know if there have been any other incidents of spirits talking through animals. im loving Gef.....

On an unrelated note my mother and younger brother claim that my cat, Yes CAT!! spoke to them once when we lived in a very spooky house. They said that they were leaving and the cat ran down the stairs and stated in a very creepy voice ''please, dont leave me.'' They did seem very firightened when i came home and they told me. I just laughed it off but they were deadly serious and clearly terrified.

There's Whitey the self-pitying Talking Cat.
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2008120...7/05/09/weird_wednesday_with_chris_laursen_23

Whitey always seemed to feel that he wasn’t getting enough attention, and that people were mistreating him. He even caught the attention of a policeman passing by the Deem’s car one day. They were having a nap during a road trip through North Carolina which included Whitey. According to Search Magazine’s report, the policeman heard a cry, “Help! Help!” When he approached the car, he found the cat inside with its sleepy owners saying, “I want out! Nobody love me!”

There's Whitey the self-pitying Talking Cat.
How interesting. Thanks for that. Evedently there may be something out there using our animals as conduits.......

Wasn't there talk that Gef was actually a pen!s - no joke

I recall reading long ago – where, I don’t remember – about events (1716 – 17) in the family home of John Wesley, founder of Methodism, during his adolescence: supernatural doings, a connection between which, and Gef of Cashen’s Gap, was suggested. The following, tells of the 1716 – 17 happenings.

http://www.ukparanormal.co.uk/Articles_OldJeffery.html

Said connection would seem, for sure, a “stretch” – but I find the idea rather intriguing. Basically pretty much a common-or-garden poltergeist, manifesting by strange noises and by moving things around. The Rev. Samuel Wesley (John’s father) tried to communicate with the “spook”, but got from it only noises like a small animal squeaking. His offspring nicknamed whatever-it-was, “Old Jeffery”. On some of the few occasions of its appearing in visible form, it was likened to a (sometimes headless) badger. With Britain getting involved in India by the early 18th century, there would have been Britons who knew about mongooses – but probably none in a remote Lincolnshire country town: the badger would seem a fairly-resembling known animal.

Admittedly, all pretty thin: but just imaginably, the same entity at Epworth; and in a later “go-around” on the Isle of Man, just over 200 years further on??

I'm useless with links: that in the post above, doesn't seem to work -- but typing the wording as shown, directly in, should get one to the article concerned.

I've sorted the link for you. We've got an Epworth thread, too, here, in which Gef is mentioned - a past incarnation of your good self, maybe?

To stuneville post #100:

Thanks ! And -- my goodness ! Seems I'm not such an extra, extra clever mongoose; doing some exploring before posting, can be a good idea.

Back