• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Book Thread: Solicit Opinions Or Review!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
I am considering spending £3.85 on

Blood Lust: Conversations With Real Vampires

(Carol Page 1991)

The Amazon Review is not encouraging - "Poorly written, factually inaccurate, and not worth reading. Don't waste your money buying this book."

Does anyone have any further thoughts? Something that bad is probably worth buying!

I am considering spending £3.85 on

Blood Lust: Conversations With Real Vampires

(Carol Page 1991)

The Amazon Review is not encouraging - "Poorly written, factually inaccurate, and not worth reading. Don't waste your money buying this book."

Does anyone have any further thoughts? Something that bad is probably worth buying!

I'd risk it provided the postage wasn't excessive.

Another one

Jackself

Jacob Polley 1988

From Amazon

Jackself spins a kind of 'fictionalized autobiography' through nursery rhymes, riddles and cautionary tales, and through the many 'Jacks' of our folktale, legend, phrase and fable - everyman Jacks and no one Jacks, Jackdaw, Jack-O-Lantern, Jack Sprat, Cheapjack and Jack Frost.

Anyone?

Whatever it is on Amazon, then I check Abe to see if it's lower - I'd rather get from Abe.

so..... £4.98 maximum.

I enjoy the Peter Grant series, sometimes called the Rivers of London books. From wikipedia

Peter Grant, a young officer in the Metropolitan Police; who, following an unexpected encounter with a ghost, is recruited into the small branch of the Met that deals with magic and the supernatural.

As a stand alone, I like The Burry Man's Day by Catriona McPherson, which uses the Queensferry Burry Man tradition as the centre of the labyrinthine events.

I read the first Peter Grant Rivers of London as a hardback at Christmas and really liked it as I knew a little about London. Bought the rest of the series as a box set of paperbacks with tiny tiny print - still unread.

Recently read Think Like a Freak by Steven D Levitt and Stephen J Dubner, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Entertaining, enlightening and eye - opening.

My copy of Page's Bloodlust arrived today. I'm taking someone to the dentist tomorrow and I expect to have a chance to start reading :|)

Finished The Dreamland Chronicles by David Darlington earlier.

Starts off as a great read about the history of the Skunk Works, moved on into some interesting stuff about Bob Lazar, ends up as a catalogue of local oddballs and their strange behaviour. If I was to reread this, I wouldnt bother reading the last third again.

Any other authors in the 'occult detective' area would be great...also 'supernatural fiction' or 'weird fiction'... in a similar vein.
I have read Butcher's The Dresden Files, Simon R Green- John Taylor books, Repairman Jack series, and a few others.....

I
Well, 'Spanky' is the novel I re-read loads but his short story collections are also brilliant.
I like "Roofworld" his first novel a lot (it's got a Neverwhere vibe, with fewer overtly supernatural elements), as starting point his short stories collections are pretty good. I like "Plastic" too and some of his stuff is entertainingly bonkers, "Hell Train" which is a Hammer Horror film within a story about writing for Hammer. A bit of a fan I'm afraid. (And you can play spot the Peculiar Crimes Unit cameos in the majority of the novels)

Last edited:
Nicked from FB Charity Shop Shit. No, I don't want it! If it was an actual tractor though.....
1555718010605.png

I am currently listening to this, Twenty Years' Experience as a Ghost Hunter 1916 Elliott O'Donnell. Must be about the 5th time!

It's time I looked for a physical copy. I find it very hard to take notes from audio material. So

*anyone read this? had thoughts about it? It's an extended IHTM and none the worse for that.

* anyone currently divesting themselves of books have a copy they would sell for a maximum of £10 inc p&p? I know I can go via sellers on amazon.

Back