• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

I’m confused. Is this the old modern art thread? I wouldn’t think of starting a search with the title of this thread.
Yes, this is the old Modern Art thread. The current title dates back to before the 2018 migration.

I’m confused. Is this the old modern art thread? I wouldn’t think of starting a search with the title of this thread.
Yes, this is the old Modern Art thread. The current title dates back to before the 2018 migration.

It was originally called something like 'A Pile of Bricks...', which was a lot more unhelpful.

I added 'Modern Art' to the title a long time ago to make it 'search visible'.

I knew what the pile of bricks referred to. Why not just ‘Modern Art’?
Bricks, dung, sharks and unmade beds is an unguessable search term unless you’re working in Bletchley Park.

I knew what the pile of bricks referred to. Why not just ‘Modern Art’?
Bricks, dung, sharks and unmade beds is an unguessable search term unless you’re working in Bletchley Park.

Why do you need to search for them?

'Modern Art' will bring it up in the results.

A Pile of bricks, elephant dung, a preserved shark and an unmade bed are some examples of unusual/dubious modern art.

Apologies for the following, which I'm sure is the type if query that irritates the mods. Do we have a thread in Chat for "good things that just happened to me" or something similar? I couldn't find one.

Apologies for the following, which I'm sure is the type if query that irritates the mods. Do we have a thread in Chat for "good things that just happened to me" or something similar? I couldn't find one.
Two that come to mind are:

The Unwhinge Thread (General; opposite of complaining; report good news)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-unwhinge-thread.59992/

The Luck Of The Devil (Timely / unexpected good fortune)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-luck-of-the-devil.65313/

If a mod is watching, what thread has the most messages or goes back the earliest?

Last edited by a moderator:
If a mod is watching, what thread has the most messages or goes back the earliest?
We've been through the "earliest thread" issue before.

The oldest thread on the forum is the first one established - the Loch Ness Monster thread. The LNM thread was initiated on 29 June 2001.

As to the largest / longest thread ...

Your query was originally posted in the Transdimensional Gas Station thread, which is certainly a big one. However, the Minor Strangeness thread is almost 15 times the size of the TGS thread. The WTF thread is more than twice the size of the Minor Strangeness thread.

It's partly a matter of definition: WTF is the present, active record holder as a single unbroken thread, but worth remembering that prior to XenForo we had to cap threads to 1000 replies, and start new continuation ones. On this basis the Troll's Head ran to the high teen thousands over multiple threads and the present thread to 6,000 and counting. It all depends therefore if you mean thematically or single-thread.

Done.

Leave the custom title "Formerly Souleater" for the time being so other members know about the change.

Due to recent events I would like to change my handle to 'Nosmo King', if a kindly mod could facilitate this for me I would be most grateful

What are these recent events of which you speak? :dunno:

We've been through the "earliest thread" issue before.

The oldest thread on the forum is the first one established - the Loch Ness Monster thread. The LNM thread was initiated on 29 June 2001.

As to the largest / longest thread ...

Your query was originally posted in the Transdimensional Gas Station thread, which is certainly a big one. However, the Minor Strangeness thread is almost 15 times the size of the TGS thread. The WTF thread is more than twice the size of the Minor Strangeness thread.
Bugger. We missed our own 20th birthday!

I have a gripe about quoting/replying. When I type after putting in a quote, or often when replying to a post, the words end up in the quote box.

I have a gripe about quoting/replying. When I type after putting in a quote, or often when replying to a post, the words end up in the quote box.
Top most one is the reply and the bottom one is an inserted quote, so it’s not happening for me. Have you started doing something differently?

There's definitely some error that is easy to make; fixing quotes that accidentally include the response is something I do all the time.

Are you having this trouble primarily on tablet or phone perhaps?

I've noticed something similar. If for example you make a post & include a picture which you want separated & not in the quote, then select just the text as quote, it'll include the picture in the quote box as well. If you click the carriage button it takes you out of the quote box, then post your reply/picture.

I've noticed something similar. If for example you make a post & include a picture which you want separated & not in the quote, then select just the text as quote, it'll include the picture in the quote box as well. If you click the carriage button it takes you out of the quote box, then post your reply/picture.
Yup, I tried to reply with an example but it all worked perfectly so didn't make the point!

The process seems to mess up arbitrarily for me and is decidedly unforgiving.

Yup, I tried to reply with an example but it all worked perfectly so didn't make the point!

The process seems to mess up arbitrarily for me and is decidedly unforgiving.
It's the forum trickster at work.

I've noticed what I believe to be the same thing you're referring to ...

Quoted areas within a post being edited (whether auto-quoted by having selected "Reply" or entered by hand and then manually subjected to the Quote feature) don't behave quite the same way as they previously did.

If you find your cursor lying at the end of a quoted passage *within the shaded area of a Quote*, you need to hit Return to initiate a new line outside / beyond / beneath the Quote area. This also works to insert a new line of non-Quote immediately following - and distinct from - the Quote area if you manually place your cursory / selection point at the end of the Quote.

This new behavior seems to have arisen a few weeks ago. I don't know why it's changed.

You can always add open text (non-Quote) lines by hitting Return at the end of a Quote. The reverse (deleting past the very first line in an existing Quote area) can kill the Quoted area entirely and cause you to have to start over.

Due to recent events I would like to change my handle to 'Nosmo King', if a kindly mod could facilitate this for me I would be most grateful
Can Nosmo King stay out of trouble please? Hate to see him banished to the naughty step permanently - would be sorely missed:hahazebs:

Can Nosmo King stay out of trouble please? Hate to see him banished to the naughty step permanently - would be sorely missed:hahazebs:

He's not in trouble (well, not here at any rate!)

Posts 372 - 376 (above) will explain the reason for the name change

Back