• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

Oh!

Well...

I'm not angry Nosmo but I am very, very disappointed. :mad:

You've let the forum down, you've let me down, but worst of all... you've let yourself down.

Now, go to your room and we'll say no more about it.

I like to think of the 'nailed to a tree thread as my own personal domain :D I'm always suprised when it flashes up on 'recent posts' and it's not me in trouble :hahazebs:
I've been 'Nailed to the tree' a couple of times.
Usually after drinking gin.
So I now drink vodka instead.
No black marks against me yet.

There's definitely some error that is easy to make; fixing quotes that accidentally include the response is something I do all the time.

Are you having this trouble primarily on tablet or phone perhaps?
I don't make an error. I try to type a response under the quote and it's included with it. This doesn't happen all the time so I don't know what sets it off.

I've run into that, along with some other erratic behavior, the details of which escape me at the moment. Anyway, hitting the "enter" key a couple of times has become a habit for me now. That usually gets me out of those traps.

Ah, yes. The other erratic stuff has to do with where I end up after clicking on "jump to new", things like that. Usually it's fine, other times not.

Unless I'm missing it, an option to view the most liked threads over various time periods would be interesting.

Unless I'm missing it, an option to view the most liked threads over various time periods would be interesting.
There's no such option available. Likes are not a component or feature of entire threads, but rather an addendum to individual posts.

I'm not sure it would be all that useful, because the number of likes within a thread is probably going to vary in direct proportion to the number of posts within the thread. If the number of likes commonly varied with the number of posts it wouldn't necessarily mean the overall thread was well-liked.

The only analogous option available at the present time is to:

- select Advanced Search;
- select "Search threads" (i.e., search for whole threads rather than individual posts);
- select the display order criterion "Most replies"; and
- check the box for "Display results as threads."

This is the only available option for seeking whole threads and displaying the results in a sorted order other than by date.

A minor query about the little icons beside the threads on the 'recent posts' list, I know the 'bell'icon is for threads I'm watching, but what do the 'pin' and 'graph' mean?

Screenshot_20210928-203734_Chrome.png
Screenshot_20210928-203748_Chrome.png

The stick-pin means the thread is 'sticky' / 'stuck' (at the top or head of its sub-forum).

The graph means the thread contains a poll.

When I type a users name using the '@' it always gives me a list of users when I get to about the third letter, then I can click on the user I wish to mention, when I was typing in @Schrodinger's Zebra earlier, the name didn't come up at all, why is this?

Screenshot_20211007-135122_Chrome.png

Screenshot_20211007-135135_Chrome.png

I don't know. The front-line search accessible on the Members page is apparently constrained to returning hits only for recently active members. SZ hasn't been logged as visiting the site in more than 6 months.

There are 3 member usernames on record that begin with "Schr". Two of them are fossilized accounts. This suggests there's a time limit since last logon that affects availability for the easy search.

To see a full list of registered members select the "Members" tab at the top of the visible page and then select "Registered members."

I wonder how many people, over the course of the FTMB history, have received a lifetime ban? Or even if it's possible cos anyone could surely just create a new identity and re-register?

I wonder how many people, over the course of the FTMB history, have received a lifetime ban? Or even if it's possible cos anyone could surely just create a new identity and re-register?
The mods would know, they always know :oops:

Current Forteana Forums policies on warnings and bans can be reviewed at:

Forum Penalty Actions: Warnings & Bans
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/forum-penalty-actions-warnings-bans.67293/

As to past / historical bans ...

Banning is both a policy and a technical issue. Both policies and technical capabilities have mutated over the course of the FTMB's (now the FF's) history. The policy shifts were dependent upon the forum administrators, moderators, and / or forum sponsors at a given time. The technical shifts were most often correlated with transitions among software packages and platforms, though some may have resulted from staff changes to the forum platform's parameters.

Now, having said that ...

It's unknown how many registered members have been banned during the entire history of the FTMB / FF. Here's why ...

A banned status is a function of the forum's software package. During the multiple times the forum was migrated from one to another software platform registration records flagged as banned didn't always get transcribed / translated / forwarded into the new platform's database.

It is also quite possible that certain inactive records were simply lost or never restored during one of the forum's outright crashes, which have been thankfully few and years in the past.

Now that the qualifications and disclaimers are out of the way ... Here is a summary of what our database currently contains regarding member accounts that have been specifically / manually banned.

A total of 92 members records survive in a proactively banned status individually imposed by the staff.

There are no surviving banned account records for the period summer 2001 through 3 February 2016 (i.e., the first circa 14.5 years of the forum's operation as the FTMB).

There are 26 accounts reflecting permanent bans imposed from 4 February 2016 through 31 October 2018 (when the FTMB was terminated by Dennis Publishing).

There are 56 registered accounts that have been permanently banned since the Forteana Forums opened in November 2018.

Finally, and perhaps appropriately for a forum dedicated to forteana, there are 10 accounts designated as having been banned more than 30 years before the earliest incarnation of the forum was established.

There are 26 accounts reflecting permanent bans imposed from 4 February 2016 through 31 October 2018 (when the FTMB was terminated by Dennis Publishing).
Would most of those be bots booted off for bot-trolling or whatever the expression is?

Back