• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

If any member suspects he or she may have 'lost' a post that was definitely made, the simplest thing to do is to click the post count number for his or her account to bring up a reverse chronological list of all extant posts.

'Missing' posts are overwhelmingly more likely to have been moved than deleted.

A handful more posts concerning posting habits and moderation have been transferred here from the Unfortunate Advertising Layouts thread.

Yes, we're lucky on here in that we have Trevp to ask for advice.
Careful, or I'll be giving you some advice, sunshine. :wink2:

Besides, if anyone wants to ask me advice on any subject I will happily give it.
And if I can't give any sensible advice (which is actually most likely), I'll just make something up that sounds believable.

And if I can't give any sensible advice (which is actually most likely), I'll just make something up that sounds believable.
Did I used to be married to you?
Or maybe you're my father. Or former father-in-law. Or in fact a male with whom I have had any form of relationship however fleeting including buying hot chestnuts in the street on a winter holiday in Eastern Europe.

Did I used to be married to you?
Or maybe you're my father. Or former father-in-law. Or in fact a male with whom I have had any form of relationship however fleeting including buying hot chestnuts in the street on a winter holiday in Eastern Europe.
No.
No definitely not. Again definitely not. And no.
Oh and sorry, but would you like to buy some of my roasted chestnuts?

No.
No definitely not. Again definitely not. And no.
Oh and sorry, but would you like to buy some of my roasted chestnuts?
You can put your edible nuts away.

I'm not falling for that again.

Would most of those be bots booted off for bot-trolling or whatever the expression is?
There's no way to tell how many of them were automated spambots.

Some posts were moved from BVM to Not BVM.
Which is fine but it leaves my comment on the Angel of Mons rather hanging!

Fixed ... You posted that comment while the transfer of non-Marian posts into a new thread was in progress.

Hi

I put a post on the "It's Paedogeddon..." thread earlier, and said I frankly didn't have a clue as to where it should go, as it posed a lot of linked questions and could easily fit other discussions. i popped back in to see it had opened up a heck of a debate about the moral justification for destroying statues, and the legal defences for people caught doing so (the justification in this case was that the sculptor was a paedophile, which in the opinon of the man video'd with the hammer, delegitimised and tainted the artwork... , which meant it seemingly fitted there - but as the statue was on the facade of a BBC building, it could as well have gone to the Savile thread....)

Just noticed it's gone. Has the post and following discussion been moved to a more suitable thread?

Last edited:
Just noticed it's gone. Has the post and following discussion been moved to a more suitable thread?

Your post served as the seed for a runaway tangent involving "culture war" and "politics" issues.

That entire tangential discussion has been removed to a non-public place pending staff discussion on its disposition specifically and our policy boundaries generally.

This action does not represent any indictment of you specifically; it concerns the overall tangent that was spawned.

Ah, so not me, then. I did wonder when I returned to the thread what sort of a monster I'd spawned, and refrained from making additional comment! Also that it was deviating off from the original point - although it did look like an interesting discussion in its own right. Thank you!

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity really.
Why is it that when I checked the list of people currently looking at the FTMB I see 'Robot' listed repeatedly?????
"à la"
1666878405516.png

Just out of curiosity really.
Why is it that when I checked the list of people currently looking at the FTMB I see 'Robot' listed repeatedly????? ...

Because some of the entities connecting to our site (and, for that matter, all other sites) are bots (crawlers) surveying the evolving data space - most commonly for updating search engine indices.

Oh I see.
Thanks for that.
I wasn't sure whether it was our new overlords starting their invasion early by reading our posts. Seemed unlikely.

I can imagine a scenario in which the FTMB is used as a repository for messages by some shady otherworld organisation.
It doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility.
Was it 'Men In Black' in which they said some publication was used regularly by aliens or sumthink?

I can imagine a scenario in which the FTMB is used as a repository for messages by some shady otherworld organisation.
It doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility.
Was it 'Men In Black' in which they said some publication was used regularly by aliens or sumthink?
It might have been The Weekly World News.
Edit: Yup...
A parody of the Weekly World News called “The World” was featured in the 1997 film Men in Black as "The best damn investigative journalism in the country." A publication that told the truth because it was 'a free country.'

Last edited:
'Pats bots on head' good lil bots now bugger off
I hate the ones saying Are you a robot, and you just click to tick, what's the point in that?

anybody seen this ?

click to tick, what's the point in that?
AFAIK When you click that box what you are doing is allowing their AI to check your search history to establish that you are not an automated 'crawler'.

... I hate the ones saying Are you a robot, and you just click to tick, what's the point in that? ...
AFAIK When you click that box what you are doing is allowing their AI to check your search history to establish that you are not an automated 'crawler'.

The CAPTCHA styled dialogues (e.g., selecting particular images from a set) are challenge tests used to evaluate whether a transacting visitor is human versus an automated bot.

In effect, it's a micro Turing Test intended to filter out non-human attempts at transacting with a site.

Back