• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

I do not get that on my phone.

Two guesses:

1) An error.
2) Larger fonts indicate unread threads or threads with new unread posts.
It's been happening ever since the migration, I think, but it's taken me this long to get around to asking.

Hypothesis 2 seems unlikely: it doesn't happen on every thread that I haven't caught up with, nor indeed for every thread that I haven't previously explored. Just the odd one here and there in the new posts list.

It's an Android phone, incidentally, running version 9.

Krepostnoi:

This sounds like a mismatch or mis-coordination between presumed and actual fonts.

What are your font settings / selections on your Android device?

XenForo attempts to use the default or standard font(s) for the more common devices. As of 2018 XenForo used either 'Roboto' or 'Droid Sans' (depending on OS version) when interacting with an Android device.

If you're using a non-standard default font, it's possible the varying font sizes represent your device fumbling to create a display element for which the font, font style, or size must be approximated.

Krepostnoi:

I found an old (2017) reference to what seems to be your problem. It was reported that the What's New display was showing different font sizes on Android devices (then running older versions of Android). The XenForo techies were unable to reliably reproduce the problem.

At that time, the last expressed hypothesis was that this was occurring when an Android user had set a global setting for font size higher than "the default size". The discussion is unclear as to where (XenForo versus Android in general versus Android-as-configured-on-the-device) these "global setting" and "default size" parameters were accessible / controllable.

Thanks, @EnolaGaia. I haven't consciously changed my default font settings, but that's not to say that they haven't been altered... And, lo and behold, it turns out they are set to "largest". I'll have a play around with that setting and see whether that makes a difference.

Speaking of largest, my apologies for the huge size of the screenshot in my earlier post: it looked phine on my phone, honest.

Thanks, @EnolaGaia. I haven't consciously changed my default font settings, but that's not to say that they haven't been altered... And, lo and behold, it turns out they are set to "largest". I'll have a play around with that setting and see whether that makes a difference.

Speaking of largest, my apologies for the huge size of the screenshot in my earlier post: it looked phine on my phone, honest.

I've tried tinkering my own font sizes, but I can't manage to reproduce what you've got.

For the sake of completion, I can confirm that returning my font settings to "default" has done the trick - I haven't noticed any recurrence of the problem since.

I love how the nerdy, geek character was called Nedry. Nedry/nerdy!
There's a page somewhere about how Nedry is dressed like the kids in that fillum with the pirate ship.

The Goonies, that's it.

In the book Nedry dies a very nasty painful death and his last thought is a hope that it will all be over soon.

Get rid of the "Times" part and "Forteana Forums" is first on the search for me.

This place is currently the seventh hit for "Fortean Times Forum", I'm sure it was the first not long ago. I don't know if this is even an issue or if anything can be done but felt I should bring it up ...

Strictly speaking, it's not an issue ...

This forum is no longer affiliated with Fortean Times magazine nor (more to the point ... ) its publisher.

This state of non-affiliation was a condition for our obtaining permission to preserve the forum's extant content and re-host / continue forum operations elsewhere with the kind support of the Charles Fort Institute.

This place is now the Forteana Forums.

There is no such thing as a Fortean Times Message Board anymore. It was terminated with extreme prejudice last Halloween.

8th in the results for me - but a search for 'Fortean forum' returns this place as the second result. First is a Facebook group.

Worth remembering that your Google results are partially tailored to your browsing history (along with many other factors - I know my SEO and am happy to go into more detail if you want but life really is too short).

Isn't there a slightly convoluted process about how they have to restart the entire system to remove Nedry's commands, but when Arnold does so it starts using the emergency power instead of the main generator--and the main generator does not power the electric fences around the enclosures
If the board is, as I strongly suspect, hosted on a UNIX system, then surely all we need to fix the problems is a plucky little girl with computer skills?

Searched Google with 'Forteana forum' yesterday (I don't have it bookmarked) and it was sixth or seventh, pages were dominated by the Jack the Ripper forums (JTRforums.com: The Forteana Forum Forum for material such as would be found in Fortean Times - mysterious disappearances, cryptozoology, paranormal, and so forth ...). Today Google puts our forum in third.

This forum is no longer affiliated with Fortean Times magazine nor (more to the point ... ) its publisher.

This state of non-affiliation was a condition for our obtaining permission to preserve the forum's extant content and re-host / continue forum operations elsewhere with the kind support of the Charles Fort Institute.

There is no such thing as a Fortean Times Message Board anymore. It was terminated with extreme prejudice last Halloween.

I have written "FORTEAN TIMES MESSUJ BORDZ" over the URL on my computer.

On this note, for some reason the tab icon for this forum in Firefox is, for me at least, still the FT logo. A small detail, I know, but if disassociation is so important it shouldn't be overlooked. Of course, if you have changed said icon, that means my browser is stubbornly clinging to the old one for some inexplicable reason...

On this note, for some reason the tab icon for this forum in Firefox is, for me at least, still the FT logo. ...

Yes ... There are still some vestiges of the old site / livery that we need to replace / eliminate.

May I ask a non-technical forum scale-related question?

Since we are now (7 October 2019) apparently-resplendant with the magisterial total (so far) of 1,026,218 posts, am I correct in my simplistic situational mythogenesis to say that at the time of The Fall (our quasi-amicable disarticulation from Fortean Times webhosting & paralineal hierachy) we were damn close to 1,000,000 (one million) posts?

Or is that simply delayed-action semi-millenarianistic wishful thinking on my part? My gut feeling ('arithmetic presumptive projection, more like) is that maybe I'm right. And yet....if we were close to approaching (or sequentially having already passed) the message millennium point, surely that would've been remarked upon.....which I've no recollection of.

Help! What was the post-count at, when The Fall occured?

We now return you to your usual programming...

May I ask a non-technical forum scale-related question?

Since we are now (7 October 2019) apparently-resplendant with the magisterial total (so far) of 1,026,218 posts, am I correct in my simplistic situational mythogenesis to say that at the time of The Fall (our quasi-amicable disarticulation from Fortean Times webhosting & paralineal hierachy) we were damn close to 1,000,000 (one million) posts?

Or is that simply delayed-action semi-millenarianistic wishful thinking on my part? My gut feeling ('arithmetic presumptive projection, more like) is that maybe I'm right. And yet....if we were close to approaching (or sequentially having already passed) the message millennium point, surely that would've been remarked upon.....which I've no recollection of. ...

You must have slept through the discussion of the post tally that occurred this past June:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/a-million-messages.65971/

As I posted there, the one-millionth post accreted to the FTMB / FF forum(s) occurred back in 2010.

As I posted there, the one-millionth post accreted to the FTMB / FF forum(s) occurred back in 2010
I am confused....according to that link, the Millionth Message happened on 28 Jun 2019, not back in 2010....? Which was in fact only about 7-and-bit months following 'The Fall from Fortean Towers'.

Or what am I misunderstanding?

I am confused....according to that link, the Millionth Message happened on 28 Jun 2019, not back in 2010....? Which was in fact only about 7 or 8 months following 'The Fall from Fortean Towers'.

The millionth post posted to FTMB occurred in 2010.

The online tally of enumerated surviving posts in the forum database (under the current implementation) ticked past one million in 2019.

It's not clear what numbers may have been tallied or publicly displayed in prior implementations of the forum.

The online tally of enumerated surviving posts in the forum database (under the current implementation) ticked past one million in 2019.

It's not clear what numbers may have been tallied or publicly displayed in prior implementations of the forum.

I really can't fathom how so many posts were removed--even with CHAT purges.

Before my time behind the curtain.

The POLITICS section is still extant only hidden from site, and no wholesale section deletions have ever taken place that I can see.

Could there have been a glitch?

There are any number of possible ways the post tally could have been over-inflated, and there are similarly numerous ways large numbers of posts could have been lost during the forum's history.

It's well known that there were substantial mass losses of content during one or more of the earlier forum migrations from one software platform to another. Gaps and / or other cumulative damages to the database indices probably explain why the Search function became progressively useless over the years, until it was rebuilt from scratch during last autumn's migration.

There's no difference between the indexing for hidden posts versus posts visible publicly. They all have to be registered as discrete entries with distinct index numbers.

Right....so, I'm looking at the mileometer in the forecourt, but you're looking at the logbook pinks entries under the hood?

Can't we have an ex cathedra correction applied to our odometry, to give us back the denrochronology we've lost? Or, is the corporate consensus, That which the winds of time has blown away shall not be seen in shadow, if not in word?

Isn't intriguing to think....rivetingly-so....that in theory there could be, somewhere out in the world, an offline bit-level copy of a lost primordial version of FTMB? Pulled from the oldennet, via something similar to Webwhacker or Httrack, and languishing on an ancient Shugart SCSI drive perhaps in a pile of landfill or somewhere, under the short leg of a sysadmin's coffee table?

Our dino-DNA....lost, and known only unto the alterethernet.

Right....so, I'm looking at the mileometer in the forecourt, but you're looking at the logbook pinks entries under the hood?

Not exactly ... it's more like you're looking at the kitchen cupboards' current contents and I'm looking at the shopping receipts for the last 2 decades.

This post of yours I'm quoting here is number 1900593. It's one of the latest of over 1.9 million posts that have been submitted to the forum since it originated in 2001.

Can't we have an ex cathedra correction applied to our odometry, to give us back the denrochronology we've lost? Or, is the corporate consensus, That which the winds of time has blown away shall not be seen in shadow, if not in word? ...

No, we can't. The post indexing protocol is built-in and automatic. The indices are not subject to resetting, editing, or any other modification.

Are there running logs for all the threads that include the posts that have been removed from public view ?

Are there running logs for all the threads that include the posts that have been removed from public view ?

Logging is not done by thread.

No log or other record includes all posts removed from public view, because some posts removed from public view are also expunged.

Back