• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

Cartoon of strange specific guy in moustache shooting at target that says 100,000. And others.
Yes, as said earlier, he is a cartoon of our esteemed Health Minister, depicted 'missing the target' with the arrow instead embedded in his foot, as in 'shooting yourself in the foot' I expect.
As I understand it, the 100,000 target for testing is 'reported' to have been met.
(or has it? I read that the total figure is being quoted as for 'test availability' and includes 39,000 'test kits' sent out to care homes that have not been used yet.)
But that's for elsewhere.
I like the tidier look of the 'amendment' and colours seem a bit nicer, buttons a little bigger/clearer, and on my revised version I'm getting a £5 note printing out under my monitor - anyone else?

I like the tidier look of the 'amendment' and colours seem a bit nicer, buttons a little bigger/clearer, and on my revised version I'm getting a £5 note printing out under my monitor - anyone else?
Mine's a crisp £20 note. You've been short-changed!

Just to clarify, the cartoon is of the UK Health Minister, Matt Hancock, who some weeks ago promised that we'd be doing 100,000 covid tests a day by the end of April. It looked pretty unlikely with just a few days to go, but the target was hit - just about.
In much the same way as today's temperature in the UK will hit 15,000 celsius (well that's how much the sun sent out, and isn't adjusted for how much we get back.)

Though that of course would be political, and as such we won't be pursuing it any further.

In much the same way as today's temperature in the UK will hit 15,000 celsius (well that's how much the sun sent out, and isn't adjusted for how much we get back.)

Though that of course would be political, and as such we won't be pursuing it any further.
Sorry, Stu - I wasn't intending to give a political opinion, just to explain the gist of the cartoon to someone who isn't familiar with UK politics.

Peripart is Teal'c and i claim my tenner, inflation

And greed
Indeed.
jfnha.jpg

Last edited:
On my pc, New Posts is wildly out of chronological order. What's new is not.

On my pc, New Posts is wildly out of chronological order. What's new is not.

Never mind now it's re ordered itself. And oh yeah, my post posted twice.

Just to clarify, the cartoon is of the UK Health Minister, Matt Hancock, who some weeks ago promised that we'd be doing 100,000 covid tests a day by the end of April. It looked pretty unlikely with just a few days to go, but the target was hit - just about. I think the cartoon is suggesting that that he contrived to hit the target in a slightly iffy way, just so the journalists would start to ask him about something else instead
Thank you. So now can we have an upside down Union Jack emoji to indicate that the responder is in need of assistance? I gather that the tests approved by the UK government aren't working well. Did he say hey would be useful? Speaking smugly from a state that developed its own.

Sorry, Stu - I wasn't intending to give a political opinion, just to explain the gist of the cartoon to someone who isn't familiar with UK politics.
I am reasonably well versed in UK politics, I'm just not interested in Boris' cabinet.
Where's that angry emoji?

This was quite an undertaking. Do you have a full test database and install everything and look at it, which can be very expensive, or do you do it in bits and hope?

Yeah c'mon - where's the angry emoji?
1588427729697.png

Thank you. So now can we have an upside down Union Jack emoji to indicate that the responder is in need of assistance? I gather that the tests approved by the UK government aren't working well. Did he say hey would be useful? Speaking smugly from a state that developed its own.

Any poster who dares to post an upside down Union Flag should immediately executed for treason.

Safari - I see it is 5.1.6 - has slowly lost the ability to access a lot of sites. Usually it just displays a failed-to-connect screen. For this Message Board, it is an abridged menu with my avatar as a long streak down the left side. I have simply migrated to Chrome, which is Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit) and also obsolescent because "Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 are no longer supported" I think my Mac Mini dates back to 2012.

I tend to resist updates to the various plug-ins, as they are really ways to deliver more pushed shite in one's direction.

Safari was usually my preferred browser, as it loads and quits faster than Chrome and freezes with the beach-ball of death less often. The Guardian's site is the worst culprit on Chrome, entirely I think because it pushes content with frequent updates from a multitude of ad-farms and cookie-spitting demon-servers. I know I am very primitive, wanting to surf freely, in waters which are now carved-up and monetized.

Anyhow, it is no hardship to be accessing the FT site via Chrome, once I remembered my password! I have yet to check out the improvements. :)

I gather that the tests approved by the UK government aren't working well. Did he say hey would be useful? Speaking smugly from a state that developed its own.

Again (and although this is off-topic, I'm really just trying to put that cartoon into context, whilst trying to avoid overt politics!), I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the quality of the UK's testing is in question, it's more about the quantity at the moment.

Anyway, I'll not go on. I've tried to avoid the Covid threads for now (there's enough depressing news on the TV), but if I do dive in, that'll be where I do it in the future.

On-topic, I'm quite liking the new look, and gently feeling my way around the new features.

Back