• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

Well done Stu.
I haven't had a drink for about 17 years. I don't mean the last 17 years though, I mean collectively, in total, over the entire course of my life.
You're virtually a tee-totaller then.

I got in the habit if quoting what I was replying to back in my time on the less reputable edge of the internet, on forums that discuss UFOs and conspiracy stuff, mainly. That way, the poster to which I was responding (or sometimes just reacting) couldn't distort the discussion by editing their comment. That's not really an issue here, not by accident of course, but it's still a good habit. As Stu pointed out above, it keeps things clear.

Congratulations, Stu. That's no small accomplishment.

Both correct.

If you appreciate either, please make a donation to the CFI.

https://www.forteana.org/

LINK at bottom-left.
I just dropped by the CFI homepage and it doesn't exactly instill confidence that it is an active organisation... the webpage looks like a holdover from the turn of the century, some of the links are dead, the sample newsletter is from 2005, and there is no sign of recent activity at all. The blog link just bounces you back to the homepage.

I just dropped by the CFI homepage and it doesn't exactly instill confidence that it is an active organisation... the webpage looks like a holdover from the turn of the century, some of the links are dead, the sample newsletter is from 2005, and there is no sign of recent activity at all. The blog link just bounces you back to the homepage.

Is this your way of telling us that you didn't donate?

Is this your way of telling us that you didn't donate?
I just sent some cash. I suppose that entitles me to point out that Simon was not making things up. If that site were a physical location, it might have a tangle of tumbleweeds piled up in a corner. Definitely a Tripod or Geocities feel to it. I was disappointed to find none if the promised Mike Dash content available. I'm grateful for their generosity in hosting this site, of course, so it was not hard to do the Pay Pal thing even though I generally boycott that nasty outfit. I can say, though, that without the recommendation from the staff here, I'd not have risked even a fiver on a site like that.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic. I've been involved in non-profit organizations that needed web exposure and interactive features for important functions, and it was always a painful process to get anything up and running, let alone working efficiently. At one outfit, we spent considerable cash and time on it, and ended up failing miserably. All we ever got from the "professional" web developer was a placeholder site full of Lorem Ipsum gibberish and stock photos complete with watermarks, before she vanished from the face of the Earth. It was a thoroughly depressing experience.

I just sent some cash. I suppose that entitles me to point out that Simon was not making things up. If that site were a physical location, it might have a tangle of tumbleweeds piled up in a corner. Definitely a Tripod or Geocities feel to it. I was disappointed to find none if the promised Mike Dash content available. I'm grateful for their generosity in hosting this site, of course, so it was not hard to do the Pay Pal thing even though I generally boycott that nasty outfit. I can say, though, that without the recommendation from the staff here, I'd not have risked even a fiver on a site like that.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic. I've been involved in non-profit organizations that needed web exposure and interactive features for important functions, and it was always a painful process to get anything up and running, let alone working efficiently. At one outfit, we spent considerable cash and time on it, and ended up failing miserably. All we ever got from the "professional" web developer was a placeholder site full of Lorem Ipsum gibberish and stock photos complete with watermarks, before she vanished from the face of the Earth. It was a thoroughly depressing experience.
Re Mike Dash, he has his own site Mikedash.com

You might find the articles you're looking for there..

I was only teasing Simon.

Thank you for donating.

I'll ask Gordon to take a look in here at the comments about the site.
Thanks for the comments on the CFI website, they are valid.

I will get onto it ASAP and have a chat with our tech bod.

The blog entries from Mike Dash et al still exist so I'll see if we can get them back up, some are unique to the CFI so are not on his website.

Coincidentally, yesterday I celebrated ten years' sobriety.
On Thursday I will have reached one complete month of sobriety, I then only have another two weeks of Metronidazole (Flagyl) left and a couple of days for it to get out of my system before I partake of a LARGE Jameson.

Metronidazole and alcohol most certainly do not mix.

On Thursday I will have reached one complete month of sobriety, I then only have another two weeks of Metronidazole (Flagyl) left and a couple of days for it to get out of my system before I partake of a LARGE Jameson.

Here is to you and your upcoming cherry high.

CCo

Conversely, the doctor found some blood in my alcohol stream today.
I was most impressed.
Worthy of a celebration I think!

Sometimes I have posted a reply to a comment that I believe to have been the last one (and therefore not needing a 'quote' to make sense) only to press the Post Reply button - and then realise that there were three more pages after the page I was on...
I've done this. That's why I tend to use the "reply" button. If it's a general comment or question relating to the topic, I just post.

I've done this. That's why I tend to use the "reply" button. If it's a general comment or question relating to the topic, I just post.
It's best to 'reply' as you get a quote that way.

Back in the day when posters could edit away to their hearts' content, you had a record of what they'd actually said in case they wanted to deny anything! :evillaugh:

Mrs Coal and I knocked daily drinks on the head in October last year and now stick to 'high days and holidays' only. No main reason, but we don't need the calories for sure :)

Mrs Coal and I knocked daily drinks on the head in October last year and now stick to 'high days and holidays' only. No main reason, but we don't need the calories for sure :)
Well done! It's good to do without the sauce for a while, even if you don't have a problem with it. :)
As you say, it's fattening anyway.

It's best to 'reply' as you get a quote that way.

Back in the day when posters could edit away to their hearts' content, you had a record of what they'd actually said in case they wanted to deny anything! :evillaugh:
When I read some of the very early posts/threads it seems a much more cold, austere place what with no one giving 'likes'. A bit 'Victorian' if you will. Was corporal punishment in place back then?

When I read some of the very early posts/threads it seems a much more cold, austere place what with no one giving 'likes'. A bit 'Victorian' if you will. Was corporal punishment in place back then?
There were no 'likes' early on as that function only arrived with one of the hosting changes.
While we had no moderators for a while, we did have self-appointed Guardians of Forteanism who'd interrupt when threads went off-topic.
I highly enjoyed dealing with that. :evillaugh:

The Limericks thread was intended to have a strictly Fortean theme.
Sadly, as I've mentioned before, there are only so many phenomena and, crucially, rhymes for them available. After we'd used them all up, innuendo was the only way forward. :nods:
(Limericks are supposed to be trivial and humorous anyway. One never hears of 'educationa'l or 'elucidating' limericks.)

The magazine hosted the board originally and, rather naively I thought, tried hard to oversee content.

For example, posts for the IHTM section had to be submitted for inspection and could be rejected for undisclosed reasons.

There is a mention of this on one of my posts where I describe trying to post an absolutely cracking, up-to-the-minute account of how Techy had been severely haunted at work that very day.
It was rejected with no explanation, presumably because I wasn't believed. How rude, and not remotely Fortean. :mad:
At that point I could have thought Stuff this, I'm off! and I bet others did. Still do, when they are dismissed or ridiculed.

My sole reason for staying was to read about weirdness and gently beat coax the details out of shy new posters.

We have heard some stupendous accounts over the years. Some people sign up, spill the beans for the first time ever and then leg it.
If they didn't have this place to come and get it off their chests they'd take it to the grave. That's worth staying for.:cool:

There were no 'likes' early on as that function only arrived with one of the hosting changes.
While we had no moderators for a while, we did have self-appointed Guardians of Forteanism who'd interrupt when threads went off-topic.
I highly enjoyed dealing with that. :evillaugh:

The Limericks thread was intended to have a strictly Fortean theme.
Sadly, as I've mentioned before, there are only so many phenomena and, crucially, rhymes for them available. After we'd used them all up, innuendo was the only way forward. :nods:
(Limericks are supposed to be trivial and humorous anyway. One never hears of 'educationa'l or 'elucidating' limericks.)

The magazine hosted the board originally and, rather naively I thought, tried hard to oversee content.

For example, posts for the IHTM section had to be submitted for inspection and could be rejected for undisclosed reasons.

There is a mention of this on one of my posts where I describe trying to post an absolutely cracking, up-to-the-minute account of how Techy had been severely haunted at work that very day.
It was rejected with no explanation, presumably because I wasn't believed. How rude, and not remotely Fortean. :mad:
At that point I could have thought Stuff this, I'm off! and I bet others did. Still do, when they are dismissed or ridiculed.

My sole reason for staying was to read about weirdness and gently beat coax the details out of shy new posters.

We have heard some stupendous accounts over the years. Some people sign up, spill the beans for the first time ever and then leg it.
If they didn't have this place to come and get it off their chests they'd take it to the grave. That's worth staying for.:cool:
No moderators sounds horrendous.

I've enjoyed reading the Limericks thread but never joined in as I prefer to write full poems of my own in whatever style I like (mainly rhyming). I like the idea of collaborative writing though.

I have had a few weird experiences in the past but have been apprehensive about whether to share them or not.

I've enjoyed reading the Limericks thread but never joined in as I prefer to write full poems of my own in whatever style I like (mainly rhyming). I like the idea of collaborative writing though.

I have had a few weird experiences in the past but have been apprehensive about whether to share them or not.

If you're going to share them anywhere, this is the place to do it. Over the years I've had my fair share of weirdness, and most of it I've posted. There are a few that I've held back for one reason or another, either too trivial or potentially explicable, or too personal.

If you're going to share them anywhere, this is the place to do it. Over the years I've had my fair share of weirdness, and most of it I've posted. There are a few that I've held back for one reason or another, either too trivial or potentially explicable, or too personal.

O.K. Thank you very much. (Just a couple of psychic experiences & premonition stories as well as ghostly visitations & deja-vu experiences mainly.)

Share your weirdness. It's anonymous and we love it. :)

Back