• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

George Galloway

ted_bloody_maul

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The gorgeous one has just delivered a tour de force in the commons but is heading towards a suspension nonetheless. In his speech he's made various allegations of conspiracy (politically biased commitee, chair of the inquiry making no effort to find out where various pieces of known frauds against him have come from etc). Essentially he's declaring it a fix.

Galloway's a very divisive figure, obviously. Anyone think he's been stitched up as he suggests or is he bung to rights?

Isn't he retiring as an MP anyway? This could be the "Establishment" taking one last chance to kick him out.

What was that Galloway said? Mee-ow?
Har har har, somebody get the man a saucer of milk.

:miaow: :miaow: :miaow:

Considering how hard they've tried to stitch him up and how little they've managed to turn up. My respect for Gorgeous George has actually increased, since all this began.

I didn't think much of him, last century, but subsequent events have proved that there are bigger rogues with less principles and better jobs, in Parliament, these days.

A final attempt to punish him for being obstreperous.

Galloway's a very divisive figure, obviously. Anyone think he's been stitched up as he suggests or is he bung to rights?

I wouldn't trust the guy as far as I could throw him.

Someone - I can't remember who - wrote an open letter to him in the Guardian after Gorgeous denied that his sucking up to Saddam ("I salute, sir, your indefatigatability" etc) had anything to do with oil money. The writer said that he would rather GG had been just after the money, as the alternative was that he really believed in sucking up to fascists.

Goregeous George is one of our finest examples of the Modern Statesman. It seems only fitting that he bow out in this blaze of mediocrity.

George Galloway considers standing as Holyrood MSP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11708001

george galloway George Galloway was a Labour MP in Glasgow for more than a decade
Continue reading the main story
Related stories

* Respect Party loses its only seat
* MP Galloway 'deported from Egypt'

George Galloway is considering a return to frontline politics by standing for a seat in the Scottish Parliament.

The 56-year-old told the BBC he had been strongly urged by supporters to stand at next May's elections, and said Holyrood needed "heavy hitters".

Mr Galloway, the former MP for London's Bethnal Green and Bow seat, said he may only need 10,000 votes to get elected as an MSP on the Glasgow regional list.

He was born in Dundee and served as a MP in Glasgow for 18 years.

Mr Galloway, a Celtic fan, said he was first urged to stand through messages posted on the club's fan websites, and was also supported by members of Glasgow's Asian community and former constituents in the city's west end.

In an interview for BBC Radio's Scotland at Ten programme, he said: "I'm testing the water. So far the water's lovely.

"If people think I can do it and ought to do it and that it will be helpful to the things that I believe in, then I will have a go.

"The mountain that has to be climbed is not Everest, it's Ben Nevis perhaps - it's 5% of the vote across the whole of the city of Glasgow, which could be a few as 10,000 votes."
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

The mountain that has to be climbed is not Everest, it's Ben Nevis perhaps”

End Quote George Galloway

Mr Galloway, who is an author, columnist and radio broadcaster, said he was "not really in need of a seat" to gain a public platform.

But the politician, who campaigned for a Scots parliament in the 70's, said: "I think on the Labour side, and I do consider myself a Labour person, that our position in politics has not been all that well represented.

"Certainly since the demise of Donald Dewar, the Labour party in Scotland's going downhill a little."

Mr Galloway, who opposes independence, described First Minister Alex Salmond the "only real star" at Holyrood, but said he would back Labour to win next year, although he said of the party's leader: "I'd be lying if I told you I thought Iain Gray had set the heather on fire."

Mr Galloway, a founder member of the anti-war Respect party, was a Labour MP until he was expelled in 2003 over his opposition to the party's actions on Iraq.

He said any campaign to win a Holyrood seat would be based on championing "real Labour values".

I read the other day that George got a phonecall from a prison-bound Carlos the Jackyl. Apparently he's an admirer!

theyithian said:
I read the other day that George got a phonecall from a prison-bound Carlos the Jackyl. Apparently he's an admirer!
Could you provide a link or reference for that statement, please.

theyithian said:

Have to warn Carlos that he will bring himself into disrepute by associating with Galloway.

"I know they call you the Jackal. Now, would you like me to be the cat?"

*shudder*

theyithian said:
http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/georgegalloway/2010/11/on-the-phone-to-carlos-the-jac.html
There's every chance I initially got the link from Harry's Place. Interestingly, I've read several contributions from Micheal Rosen in the comments sections... Interesting blog.

Michael Rosen argues quite often on the internet, notably against famous Jazz saxophonist Gilad Atzmon. It can be quite interesting to follow.

More charming behaviour from Mr G:

George Galloway refuses to debate with Israeli student at Oxford

Respect MP accused of racism after walking out of West Bank debate at university, saying: 'I don't debate with Israelis'

George Galloway has been accused of racism after walking out of a debate at Oxford University after discovering that his opponent was an Israeli citizen.

The Respect party MP for Bradford West – a vocal critic of Israel and its treatment of Palestinian people – had been taking part in the debate at Christ Church college, speaking for the motion that "Israel should withdraw immediately from the West Bank", when he learned that Eylon Aslan-Levy, a student opposing it, was Israeli.

Galloway interrupted the third-year philosophy, politics and economics student at Brasenose college when Aslan-Levy used the word "we" in reference to Israel.

"You said 'we'," said Galloway. "Are you an Israeli?"

"I am, yes," Aslan-Levy replied.

"I don't debate with Israelis. I have been misled, sorry," Galloway said, standing and putting on his coat, then reiterating as he walked out: "I don't recognise Israel and I don't debate with Israelis."

The Oxford student newspaper Cherwell – which has video footage of Galloway's exit – quoted Aslan-Levy as saying afterwards: "I am appalled that an MP would storm out of a debate with me for no reason other than my heritage. To refuse to talk to someone just because of their nationality is pure racism, and totally unacceptable for a member of parliament."

The debate organiser, Mahmood Naji, told Cherwell.org: "At no point during my email exchange with Mr Galloway's secretary was Eylon's nationality ever brought up or mentioned." He added: "Nor do I expect to have to tell the speaker what his opponent's nationality is."

Galloway said on his Facebook page: "I refused this evening at Oxford University to debate with an Israeli, a supporter of the apartheid state of Israel. The reason is simple: no recognition, no normalisation. Just boycott, divestment and sanctions, until the apartheid state is defeated. I never debate with Israelis nor speak to their media. If they want to speak about Palestine – the address is the PLO."

The incident prompted a flurry of Twitter exchanges, with many people expressing surprise and anger at Galloway's behaviour.

"George, refusing to debate someone because he's Israeli is absurd," wrote Christine Quigley, a former Labour London assembly candidate. "Would you condone if any other nationality?"

She added: "As a former constituent of @georgegalloway and pro-Palestinian, I'm deeply unimpressed he refused to debate someone because he was Israeli."

Another Twitter user, who describes herself as a "proud mum" and "progressive Jew", asked Galloway: "Out of interest would you refuse to meet with a constituent if they had Israeli citizenship?"

Galloway reiterated his earlier points in his replies to his questioners, tweeting: "No recognition of Israel. No normalisation. Christ Church never informed us the debate would be with an Israeli. Simple."

The MP has long been a staunch supporter of the Palestinians and trenchant critic of Israel, speaking of his hatred for the "Zionist state" and calling for its dismantling.

Aslan-Levy told the Guardian he had in fact been calling for a solution that would recognise both states.

"As opposition speaker, my case was not that Israel should remain in the West Bank, but that such a withdrawal should not be immediate – ie unilateral – but in the context of a negotiated peace treaty, which would recognise both Israeli and Palestinian states."

The student moderating the debate also expressed his disappointment at Galloway's actions, and urged him to think again.

Michael Baldwin, a third-year student at New College, noted that Galloway had once been given an honorary Palestinian passport, and said the MP would be "rightly indignant" if someone refused to debate him because of it. He added: "I would encourage Mr Galloway to reconsider his position, which is open to accusations of xenophobia."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013 ... eli-oxford

How are people supposed to get anything sorted out if they won't discuss their major issues? Keep talking!

That outburst in more detail:

"Aslan is it? Git oot o' ma wardrobe, this instant! ye lion! An tak yoor auld witch with ye!"

:?

JamesWhitehead said:
That outburst in more detail:

"Aslan is it? Git oot o' ma wardrobe, this instant! ye lion! An tak yoor auld witch with ye!"

:?

We have to get a like button! :D

stuneville said:
Anyone else watching the magnificent Bob Servant - Independent on BBC4?

Yes - Brian Cox (not that one - yeah, okay, but that one too) is always quality.

Although, when I think of Galloway these days the character that pops up in my mind more and more is Barry from Four Lions I've not seen Galloway in a shemagh or skull cap yet, but if there's ever a story about the man storming out of his local garage shouting, Spark plugs! Jews invented spark plugs to control global traffic, then I can't say I'd be so terribly surprised.

Coincidentally, I was nursing a pint of guinness in the Salmon and Ball, Bethnal Green, a couple of weeks ago when Galloway's double walked in - it wasn't him (I've actually met the guy) but it did make me think what a bummer it would be to be the spit of someone who caused such extremes of opinion (to put it diplomatically). I, of course, look just like George Clooney.

At least it will shut him up for a while. Galloway is a money-grubbing misogynist and homo-phobe who panders to Islamists. He is in the pay of the Iranian mullahs through Press TV.

He brings the Palestinian and Anti-War causes into disrepute.

George Galloway taken to hospital after street attack

A picture, released by Respect via Twitter and taken before Mr Galloway went to hospital, shows the extent of his injuries

George Galloway has been taken to hospital with a suspected broken jaw after he was attacked on a London street, his spokesman has said.

The Respect MP was posing for pictures with people in Golborne Road, Notting Hill, when a man allegedly set upon him. Police were quickly at the scene and arrested a man.

The MP's spokesman said he had bruising and was in "a pretty bad shape".

He said the alleged attacker had been shouting something about the Holocaust.

"George was posing for pictures with people and this guy just attacked him, leapt on him and started punching him," the spokesman said.

"It appears to be connected with his comments about Israel because the guy was shouting about the Holocaust."

Mr Galloway was interviewed under caution by police earlier this month after he made controversial comments about Israel.

The MP for Bradford West said in a speech that Bradford had been "declared an Israel-free zone" and urged people to reject all Israeli goods, services academics and tourists.

His spokesman said he did not know whether the attacker was an Israeli, an EDL-supporter, or whether he had another motive. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28992601

I can't find much on which to agree with Old George, but assault on the street is not on. Besides, this is just giving him more credibility - now he has been physically attacked by the Zionist oppressor.

Yes. He is a true maverick, but the full spectrum of debate requires people like him. As a maverick, while some of his views are extreme, on others he is perfectly sensible.

Would that some of our more mainstream politicians were capable of the same level of erudition. If they were, GG would make less headway.

Cochise said:
Yes. He is a true maverick, but the full spectrum of debate requires people like him. As a maverick, while some of his views are extreme, on others he is perfectly sensible.

Would that some of our more mainstream politicians were capable of the same level of erudition. If they were, GG would make less headway.

Imho hes not really a maverick, just a crook out to make money from causes.

The only thing hes genuine about is his misogyny and homo-phobia and his backward brand of Roman Catholicism.

He was probably paid to campaign for a No vote on Scottish Independence.

garrick92 said:
On Galloway's alleged "homophobia" his public statements do not appear to support that suggestion: Here is audio from a radio call-in in which GG is pretty clear on the subject and deals quite firmly with a homophobic 'heckler'.

The best this anti-GG blogger can come up with is some quotes that make him appear somewhat equivocal on gay rights on some occasions.

I'm not aware of any misogynist views he might hold (which isn't to say there are none, just that I'm not aware of them) and I don't see how his birth religion is relevant.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike GG, but I think the above are spurious.

His birth religion is important because he adheres to a conservative form of Roman Catholicism.

He opposes abortion in all cases.

He pretends at times that hes not a homo-phobe but defended Iran's execution of gays falsely claiming that they were rapists.

OK, you're a Galloway fan.

I think hes a living heap of excrement in the pay of Islamists.

I say that as an anti-war activist and a supporter of a Palestinian State.

garrick92 said:
ramonmercado said:
OK, you're a Galloway fan.

I don't quite see where you've got that impression, unless you're a "with us or against us" type of thinker.

But hey, if that's the conclusion you've already drawn, not much I say is going to change your mind.

As far as I'm concerned he has done terrible damage to the anti-war and Pro-Palestine movements.

He is just a hack for the Iranian theocracy defending the execution and persecution not just of gays but of all opposition activists. He claimed that the 2009 elections were fair and free.

OK, wrong to call you a Galloway fan but imho you are too forgiving of him.

Oh come on. In a national poll of people you'd like to punch?

Not that I'm condoning it you understand.

Back