• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

George Soros

Quake42

Warrior Princess
We don't seem to have a dedicated thread on this gentleman, but his name seems to crop up a lot in other discussions on the board.

He's a hate figure among anti-globalists of all stripes. He seems to be in favour of supranational government and mass migration to the West. So far, so Goldman Sachs. What is more curious is his apparent support for the Black Lives Matter movement - it was reported last week that one of its leading activists, who was arrested at a protest, lives in a house provided by him.

Not sure what to make of all of this. Anyone got any other Soros info?

We don't seem to have a dedicated thread on this gentleman, but his name seems to crop up a lot in other discussions on the board.

He's a hate figure among anti-globalists of all stripes. He seems to be in favour of supranational government and mass migration to the West. So far, so Goldman Sachs. What is more curious is his apparent support for the Black Lives Matter movement - it was reported last week that one of its leading activists, who was arrested at a protest, lives in a house provided by him.

He's probably hoping that BLM will create some kind of social rift, which may cause share prices to fall...at which point he will swoop in to buy them all up. Me just speculating.

He's probably hoping that BLM will create some kind of social rift, which may cause share prices to fall...at which point he will swoop in to buy them all up. Me just speculating.

Sometimes cynicism is justified.

Must search for some critique of him that's relatively balanced. IE - no Illuminati or Elders of Zion/Rothscjilds involved.

Sometimes cynicism is justified.

Must search for some critique of him that's relatively balanced. IE - no Illuminati or Elders of Zion/Rothscjilds involved.

Yeah - it does bring out the loons unfortunately. But he does seem to be involved in financing groups and individuals asociated with attacks on traditional Western civilisation (in the broadest sense). It could be some sort of ploy to maximise revenue, as Mytho suggests; or he could be part of the globalist vanguard; or, maybe he's just chaotic neutral

Who knows? But one to watch, I feel.

Just saw that Soros has been called a "cog in the Hitlerite wheel" by Zionists. Despite Soros being a childhood survivor of the holocaust in Hungary.

Somewhere there is a rational critique of him...

I once read that Soros based his successes on following the principles of Chinese astrology. And looking into that, the troubled conditions then are to be repeated now.

Although I suspect this may be similar to the 'fact' that British WW2 pilots owed their success to eating carrots, where it was actually radar that was the real story.

Soros is really quite old, so hopefully he won't be doing too much harm before he pops his clogs.
Hopefully.

T

This is a strange thread. Soros is a very rich man who made his fortune through smart but observable sophisticated financial operations and shenanigans. He is s wealthy man who generously supports liberal and humanitarian causes, unusual but not really a Fortean happening . He has a long fact-filled article in Wikipedia. Many white Americans support the black lives matter movement. Some participate in these forums. What's the problem?

Given his propensity to feature in right-wing conspiracy theories, the existence of this thread isn't strange. The fact that nobody had yet posted any details of said theories is a little odd.

My general view is that organisations he has funded or supported have made broad, aspirational statements of intent that are capable of being read in a revolutionary context (but are probably fairly jejune) and the conspiracy theorists' love of reading between the lines has led to the suggestion that he wishes to overthrow American democracy and undermine her citizen's liberties.

Can anybody (an American poster perhaps) supply the details?

EDIT: there is a Wikipedia article covering some of it - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros_conspiracy_theories

The inimitable Glenn Beck joins the dots:
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/47934/

Last edited:
Given his propensity to feature in right-wing conspiracy theories, the existence of this thread isn't strange. The fact that nobody had yet posted any details of said theories is a little odd.

My general view is that organisations he has funded or supported have made broad, aspirational statements of intent that are capable of being read in a revolutionary context (buy are probably fairly jejune) and the conspiracy theorists' love of reading between the lines has led to the suggestion that he wishes to overthrow American democracy and undermine her citizen's liberties.

Can anybody (an American poster perhaps) supply the details?

EDIT: there is a Wikipedia article covering some of it - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros_conspiracy_theories

The inimitable Glenn Beck joins the dots:
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/47934/

Not just American conspiracy theories - Soros is on record as saying national borders are "an obstacle to be overcome" and it has been reported that his Open Society Foundation produced booklets during last year's refugee crisis/migrant invasion (delete according to your preference) advising migrants how to maximise their chances of asylum in a favoured EU state.

Not just American conspiracy theories - Soros is on record as saying national borders are "an obstacle to be overcome" and it has been reported that his Open Society Foundation produced booklets during last year's refugee crisis/migrant invasion (delete according to your preference) advising migrants how to maximise their chances of asylum in a favoured EU state.

And right he is on both counts - national borders are indeed an obstacle to overcome, for example, those of us from a large country who have traveled in Europe have noted that those who live say 5 miles on either side of the border are remarkably alike but have in the past waged war on each other. Many of us from that same large country are checking out emigrating to Canada, just, you know, out of curiosity, and wow! there are websites telling you how to maximize your chances of successfully emigrating to Canada from any country.

Seems to me that Soros as a conspirator may depend on where the speaker sits on the political spectrum. His aims and views are public and very well-defined. Life is too short to spend time reading Glen Beck, but I'm at a loss as to how Soros' philanthropies affect our American liberties. If I had that kind of money I'd be trying to subvert dictators too.

I suppose much of the answer is "whatever sells newspapers and airtime."

And right he is on both counts - national borders are indeed an obstacle to overcome, for example, those of us from a large country who have traveled in Europe have noted that those who live say 5 miles on either side of the border are remarkably alike but have in the past waged war on each other. Many of us from that same large country are checking out emigrating to Canada, just, you know, out of curiosity, and wow! there are websites telling you how to maximize your chances of successfully emigrating to Canada from any country.

Borders may well be a nuisance to people who want to move to a particular place but in Europe at least they are rarely arbitrary lines on a map. They are generally boundaries that have evolved over many decades or centuries to separate distinct ethnic, linguistic or religious groups. Where they are arbitrary lines on a map, such as in much of Africa, the result is not happy clappy kumbayah singing but constant bloodletting.

Leaving that aside, most countries in the developed world confer rights on and offer benefits to their citizens. This social contract is destroyed if large numbers of incomers from very different cultures, who have no previous link or contribution to the country concerned, suddenly rock up and demand the same or better than the existing population.

All of this is discussed at length on various threads in the mainstream news section, but suffice to say that life in a borderless world would be nasty, brutish and short and that is probably why people are hostile to attempts by people like Soros to bring it about. It smacks of a very unpleasant agenda.

A long article on Soros's politics. Addresses the conspiracy angle in part.

https://nplusonemag.com/online-only/online-only/the-globalist/

Difficult to take such a partisan article seriously. Buzzwords like “alt right”, “racist”, “ethnonationalism” and “Islamophobia” appear throughout with no purpose other than to smear people who want democratic self-determination and / or dislike Soros meddling in their countries. It talks of his belief in the “sovereignty of the people” but when people exercise that sovereignty - in the UK, in America or in Hungary - it’s the wrong sort of sovereignty because Soros doesn’t like the results. It also fails to challenge some of Soros’s history, much of which is deeply disturbing - check out the interview where he describes helping to round up fellow Jews as a teenager, not with sorrow or guilt, but as an exciting time in his life.

Awful man. The closest we have to a real life Bond villain.

A man who would do such a thing to his own people is not to be trusted.
A man who would attempt to bankrupt a country that gave him a safe haven and a prestigious education is not to be trusted.
Don't trust the man.

Well I know you shouldn't trust wikipedia entirely but to me this says a lot:

In June 2009, Soros donated $100 million to Central Europe and Eastern Europe to counter the impact of the economic crisis on the poor, voluntary groups and non-government organisations.[109]

Since 2012 the Hungarian Fidesz government gradually and strategically selected George Soros as Enemy of the state for various reasons, with the focus on the deliberate misinterpretation of his humanitarian and political involvement in the European refugee crisis. The government have attacked OSF, the international civil support foundation created by George Soros, including various legal changes to revoke the permission of Central European University (Budapest) (which was failed mostly due to large public outrage[110]). In response Soros called the government "a mafia state".[111]

As the 2018 election period started the government introduced public posters with the photo of Soros,[112] to create hostility in the general public towards Soros, using statements such as "Soros wants millions of migrants to live in Hungary", and "Soros wants to dismantle the border fence".
= Very rich man with brains (Masters degree in philosophy) has the nerve to openly disagree with the government and fund the poor and education. Smear campaign ensues. Right wing rich people can't understand why anyone with power and influence wouldn't be oppressive to maintain their position. Campaign to make out he's dangerous and mad, to preserve the status quo.

nothing fortean to see here, just the usual monkey politics

Also I don't think what Fox news and Breitbart have to say about anyone should be taken very seriously, least of all someone of Jewish origin with progressive views.

Plus he's anti Brexit. Burn him!!!

Also I don't think what Fox news and Breitbart have to say about anyone should be taken very seriously, least of all someone of Jewish origin with progressive views.

I can’t see anyone quoting either Fox News or Breitbart on this thread so I’m unsure why they are being referenced.

There’s nothing “progressive” about interfering in other countries’ democratic processes, subverting national borders and sovereignty or crashing national currencies in order to enrich oneself. And as I say, Soros in his own words paints a disturbing picture of his actions as a teenager in wartime Europe - actions which do not appear to trouble him in the least. Querying the influence of such a person is neither right wing nor antisemitic as you appear to be implying.

...Soros in his own words paints a disturbing picture of his actions as a teenager in wartime Europe...

"Kroft: “My understanding is that you went … went out, in fact, and helped in the confiscation of property from the Jews.”

Soros: “Yes, that’s right. Yes.”

Kroft: “I mean, that’s — that sounds like an experience that would send lots of people to the psychiatric couch for many, many years. Was it difficult?”

Soros: “Not, not at all. Not at all. Maybe as a child you don’t … you don’t see the connection. But it was — it created no — no problem at all.”

Kroft: “No feeling of guilt?”

Soros: “No.”

Kroft: “For example, that, ‘I’m Jewish, and here I am, watching these people go. I could just as easily be these, I should be there.’ None of that?”

Soros: “Well, of course, … I could be on the other side or I could be the one from whom the thing is being taken away. But there was no sense that I shouldn’t be there, because that was — well, actually, in a funny way, it’s just like in the markets — that if I weren’t there — of course, I wasn’t doing it, but somebody else would — would — would be taking it away anyhow. And it was the — whether I was there or not, I was only a spectator, the property was being taken away. So the — I had no role in taking away that property. So I had no sense of guilt.“ "

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/george-soros-ss-nazi-germany/

Were Soros not channelling a tsunami of cash into lefty causes, his words (from a TV 60 Minutes interview) would have had the left-wing social media (but I repeat myself) frothing at the mouth to destroy him. Apparently, if he's happy bankrolling the destruction of countries, the left is happy to hear him say only the bit where he realises that he's been a leetle too forthcoming and tries to row himself out of trouble.

maximus otter

Soros contradicts himself:
"Kroft: “My understanding is that you went … went out, in fact, and helped in the confiscation of property from the Jews.”

Soros: “Yes, that’s right. Yes.”
and...
"And it was the — whether I was there or not, I was only a spectator, the property was being taken away. So the — I had no role in taking away that property. So I had no sense of guilt."
The first bit was the admission of guilt. The second bit, as Maximus Otter observes, is Soros trying to climb back out of the hole he's dug for himself.

There seems to be evidence of Nazi involvement with Soros, I.E. pictured SS uniform for one. Remember that in the later stages of the war the SS greatly reduced it's standards. Also Hitler Youth served in the Das Reich division and elsewhere in the SS, they looked to be early - mid teens in 44 - 45.
More importantly hanging is too good for the the SOB. I have much stronger explicatives for him (inappropriate for the forum).

There seems to be evidence of Nazi involvement with Soros, I.E. pictured SS uniform for one. Remember that in the later stages of the war the SS greatly reduced it's standards. Also Hitler Youth served in the Das Reich division and elsewhere in the SS, they looked to be early - mid teens in 44 - 45.

To be fair to Soros, the only picture l’ve seen which was alleged to have been him in SS uniform actually depicted Oskar Gröning, the so-called “Bookkeeper of Auschwitz”.

On the other hand, although one had, theoretically, to be seventeen in order to join the SS, history is full of tales of younger lads who’ve joined armies all around the world. Also, public figures have managed to keep SS membership secret for decades, e.g. noted anti-fascist German author Günter Grass, who served in the 10th SS Panzer Division Frundsberg.

Oops!

maximus otter

To be fair to Soros, the only picture l’ve seen which was alleged to have been him in SS uniform actually depicted Oskar Gröning, the so-called “Bookkeeper of Auschwitz”.

On the other hand, although one had, theoretically, to be seventeen in order to join the SS, history is full of tales of younger lads who’ve joined armies all around the world. Also, public figures have managed to keep SS membership secret for decades, e.g. noted anti-fascist German author Günter Grass, who served in the 10th SS Panzer Division Frundsberg.

Oops!

maximus otter
I'm not talking about younger lads joining other armies. Fact: as the 3rd Reich became desperate the Wehrmacht and SS accepted much younger recruits. Your 1st Snopes articles clearly shows a picture of Soros in an SS pictures. Not having previous knowledge of Soro's why not believe the Snopes picture, Snopes is generally very reliable.

More on under aged SS conscripts.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...s-rounded-up-from-school-revealed-in-new-book

Jim, I think you misread the article. The photo of someone in an SS uniform in the snopes article is illustrating what his detractors have published. It's not saying it's a photo of him. He was 14 when the war ended and I doubt standards had slipped so much that the SS were taking Jewish 14 year olds. If they were, that would be a fantastic conspiracy theory in itself. Perhaps you should start a new thread.

Jim, I think you misread the article. The photo of someone in an SS uniform in the snopes article is illustrating what his detractors have published. It's not saying it's a photo of him. He was 14 when the war ended and I doubt standards had slipped so much that the SS were taking Jewish 14 year olds. If they were, that would be a fantastic conspiracy theory in itself. Perhaps you should start a new thread.

The whole thing did appear a bit confusing (to me). If I erred I apologize to all.:beye:

The photo of "Soros in SS uniform" is not of George Soros.

Ultimately, George Soros is no different to any number of wealthy activists - problem is, most of them are on the side of the right-wing. No one attacks the Koch brothers with the vitriol the right wing aim at Soros.

He's a bogeyman for the right wing, to the point of parody. I don't think I've seen a single "left wing"/"progressive" protest movement, protest, march or rally that hasn't been smeared as "Soros funded".

The 60 Minutes interview was taken grotesquely, purposefully out of context by Glenn Beck and that's the version that's been used by the right wing to attack him ever since. If you watch the full interview, Soros doesn't say that he has no regrets about collaborating with Nazis - he says he has no regrets about the war years, precisely because he didn't do any of the things he's accused of.

Mileage may vary on the extent to which you feel the wealthy are able to, or should be permitted to, influence politics - I think there should be a legal requirement for all political donations to be transparent, and made visible on all electioneering literature and at the ballot box, and that holds true whether the donator is on my side of the political fence or otherwise - but if you're to ask why Soros has the power and influence that he has, one also has to ask why power and influence on the other side of the spectrum is used so heavily to smear, discredit and attack him with allegations that are pretty abhorrent; claiming someone was a member of the SS is above and beyond almost any other political attack I can think of.

Back