• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Getting the kids hooked early

ogopogo3

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/uk/newsid_1976000/1976930.stm

Syringe sweets cause concern

Sweets shaped like heroin syringes are causing concern among parents and MPs.

The "Freekee Drops" sell for 10p and people are worried that they could tempt children to start taking real drugs.

The sweets come in a packet which show a dribbling cartoon character who has rolling, spaced-out eyes.

The tube is full of red liquid which is shaped like a syringe and has to be squeezed to get the contents out.

Brian Donohoe, a Labour MP in Glasgow, Scotland said the "despicable" item was bought from an ice-cream van by a five-year-old who mimicked using it to inject drugs.

And some children have even told their parents they are "addicts" to the sweet.

Brian Donohoe wants the sweets banned in the UK. He's also asked Tony Blair to pursuade the Spanish Government to stop making them.

It's very similar to "candy cigarettes" which are now known as "candy stix"... I still think that was a stupid deal. I didn't start smoking because I used to eat candy "cigarettes", I started because my friends were doing it (although it never really stuck), as did most kids who started... IMO

So the kids using the word "addict" is a big concern? If we just get them to say they love the candy instead, can we keep it?

I have a pen in the form of a syringe, has made some people stare a bit :)

Of course, the only concievable purpose for a syringe is to take illegal street drugs. No one uses them for injecting, oh, say, insulin. No one uses them in actual medical practice. Dentists don't use them to inject novocaine into patients' gums. They have no legitemate uses whatsoever.:rolleyes:

Nonny

Well, do kids on the streets of Glasgow know that there are legitimate uses of syringes? Do they even know what 'legitimate' means? ;)

I remember 'sweet cigarettes'! My brother had a chocolate 'smoking set' for Xmas as a young kid, complete with sweet cigs and chocolate matchbox, lighter and even pipe! I was extremely envious of this masculine and sophisticated gift. Sounds like something out of the Simpsons!

But he still didn't take up smoking and neither did I.

I thought the syringe pens had been hysterically banned long since.

(I once sat next to a Xtian student at Uni who had a 6" nail-shaped pen with a Biblical text printed on it. It was among the sickest things I've ever seen and I coveted it, even though it did not write. I offered him all the money I had on me plus my bag and its contents and my leather jacket but he wouldn't part with it. He looked very confused though. No doubt he felt he'd resisted temptation in some holy way, but wasn't sure exactly what had gone on...)

Did anyone ever see liquorice pipes with red sprinkly bits in the bowl? I used to like them...er...yes, I do smoke a pipe...

Inverurie Jones said:
Did anyone ever see liquorice pipes with red sprinkly bits in the bowl? I used to like them...er...yes, I do smoke a pipe...

Does this corrolation stand?

Hands up those who liked half penny flying saucers as a child and Space Invader or Monster Munch Crisps!

Hmm...Fortean indoctrination.

Ooh! Me! Me! Although I like jelly babies, but don't indulge in paedeatric cannabalism...

Inverurie Jones said:
Ooh! Me! Me! Although I like jelly babies, but don't indulge in paedeatric cannabalism...

Reminds me of the Emo Phillips standup routine:-

And he gives me a chocolate Easter bunny. And this shows how tricky those guys are. I eat the chocolate and I think, wait a second... this isn't around Easter. "Was this a test?" He said, "Yes." "And what does it mean?" He said, "Well, had you eaten the ears first you would have been normal; had you eaten the feet first you would have had an inferiority complex; had you eaten the tail first you would have had latent homosexual tendencies; and had you eaten the breasts first you would have had a latent oedipal complex." I said, "Well, go on. What does it mean when you bite out the eyes and scream, 'Stop staring at me!'?'" He says, "It shows you've a tendency towards self-destruction." I said, "What do you recommend?" He says, "Go for it!"

Heh.:D

The pipes with the purple sprinkling is good. We also gave some to a child who really likes them now. I hope he doesn't sue us if he starts smoking later.

What about those candies in bracelets you could put on your arms and eat it off?

escargot said:
(I once sat next to a Xtian student at Uni who had a 6" nail-shaped pen with a Biblical text printed on it. It was among the sickest things I've ever seen and I coveted it, even though it did not write. I offered him all the money I had on me plus my bag and its contents and my leather jacket but he wouldn't part with it. He looked very confused though. No doubt he felt he'd resisted temptation in some holy way, but wasn't sure exactly what had gone on...)

I was raised Catholic and this really cracked me up! :D Your classmate is assured a place in heaven for not selling you his soul... :monster: :spinning

And my daughter loves those candy necklaces and bracelets. Do you suppose that means she'll grow up to be a cannibal?

Ah, GG, so it was his SOUL he was keeping safe!
Wonder what would have happened if greed had got the better of him....

My son is a sort of student counsellor at university and hands out strawberry laces to anguished peers. He's running out fast. Apparently, the best s. laces are to be found at Sainsbury's, and there doesn't seem to be a branch in his alma mater city.
Looks like I'm on a mission, folks. Smoke me a kipper.

Does anyone remember those white candy skulls which squirted red candy blood when you crushed them? Ah, in hindsight how realistic...

ohhh i remember those! they were great...

i also used to have a syringe pen, i loved it! it was even filled with red blood! i remember the look on all my classmates as i sat and played with my pen...*sigh* sadly it broke and the shop where i acquired it, doesnt seem to sell them anymore:(

but the sweet you really need to look out for is big squirt! its a new one, that can mostly be found in corner shops:D

all that it is, is a long tube (kinda like a testube) and it is filled with liquid sugar that u spray onto your tongue!

it tastes a bit disgusting to start with, but soon it starts to taste good, and u just have to go an get more!:D

Carrion said:
all that it is, is a long tube (kinda like a testube) and it is filled with liquid sugar that u spray onto your tongue!

it tastes a bit disgusting to start with, but soon it starts to taste good, and u just have to go an get more!:D

Nooooo! must resist workings of filthy juvenile mind obsessed with double entendres....must resist!:eek:

:eek: lmao! oh my god, i didnt realise how filthy that sounded!..*turns a brighter shade of red*

Smarties - obviously meant to indoctrinate children into pill popping
Sherbet - White powder, makes your tongue and gums feel buzzy, need I say more?
Wine Gums - How many alcoholics have had those as children?

It is disgusting, these sweets ought to be banned NOW! :D

The red blood in my pen dried out sadly. Didn't look that good anymore. But I think I could get another if I wanted to. But they weren't made for writing.

Xanatic said:
The red blood in my pen dried out sadly. Didn't look that good anymore.
Perhaps it'll reliquify on the feast of St Janarius? :p

i wish i could get a replacement...I thought it was great to write with, i didnt have any problems with it at all..if anything it just distracted me from my work!:D

i never had any problem with the blood drying up either...maybe i was just lucky.

Back