• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Cars / Road Vehicles: Sightings; Videos; Etc. (Not IHTM)

TheQuixote said:
I couldn't view the vid in the OP but I'll guess it's this one - in the second post below mine, Emps has posted some info.

Thanks! That's the one. Here's what Emperor said:

Send it to a friend in the US who saw the original footage on TV - there is no burst of supernatual speed and there is a break in the fence on the left. The baddies got through it and the police missed it pulling up just beyond it.

I think that explains it :D

It looks different to the ghost car that Chief Wiggum and Homer witnessed in The Simpsons....... :lol: :lol:

Iamroachford said:
It looks different to the ghost car that Chief Wiggum and Homer witnessed in The Simpsons....... :lol: :lol:

Hold me! :shock:

Holy crap, that portugal one scared the crap outta me! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Link is dead. No archived version found.

Guys right about the mobile phone though, you don't notice some things until someone says it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, thats kind of Blair Witchy style. YouTube is such a good thing. There is a lot of crap on there but some absolute gems too.

The effects on that were better than the grainy effects of the 1st Blair witch though.

I was watching a real life police program the other night - the ones with the police car chases. The police were chasing this car that was driving all over the road, when suddenly the car shot across to the left and into a field at the side of the road. The strange thing was that when the police car went to follow there was a big wire mesh fence in the way with solid posts - the whole of the fence looked pretty damn solid. The police car was following the car it was chasing fairly closely and tried to get into the field at exaclty the same place and yet there was a fence there. It was very strange - there was no way that the car could have got into the field without knonking the fence down, and yet it had. The police driver drove down the side of the fence for a bit to see if there was some way of getting into the field, but he couldnt find a gap in the fence anywhere. The car that they were pursuing got away. After the chase was over the police went to check the fence and could find no gap in it anywhere, nor could they find anywhere that the posts/mesh was loose. Somehow the car had managed to drive through the fence without damaging it. The police were totally baffled and the car is known in the state (it happened somewhere in the US) as the ghost car. It was a very interesting bit of footage. Goes someway to supporting the theory put forward in the original post.

There's a discussion on this here, with a link to the footage.

TBH I wasn't very convinced myself.

_Lizard23_ said:
There's a thread on this here, with a link to the footage.

TBH I wasn't very convinced myself.
You weren't? I thought it was fairly impressive. There is no denying the fence is there. I did wonder of they could have run over the fence and then it popped back up, but if that had happened then I dont think that the fence would have come back up as straight as it did. Also, I think that the fence would have been vibrating still.

I cant look on the link as it is blocked from work, but I am sure that it is the same case. I will have a look when I get back home - maybe the footage on the net is not as clear as the footage I saw on the program.

What happened in the video is that the Cadillac had made a sharp left turn and lost the cruiser for a few seconds - when the cruiser turned to catch up with the Cadillac, it was following a track to the right of the Cadillac's - the Cadillac crossed the fence at a point to the left of where the cruiser stopped. Probably the road on the other side of the fence turned to the left just after the entry, making it seem from the cop's POV that it had gone through the fence. The Court TV footage doesn't show the section of the fence that the Cadillac would have passed through (where the gate probably was), and given that the Cadillac's plates were visible to the cop, but the narrator doesn't tell what happened when the police looked up the owner, I'd say the TV show was trying to spice up an otherwise mundane police chase.
I'd imagine what happened was that the Cadillac had entered a fenced-in area (say a park or a construction site) that the officer knew didn't have another exit, and so decided to block the exit to prevent escape and wait for another cruiser so that they could enter the area.

As far as the vanishing car is concerned I will go with the theory that the lights seen at the end of the video are reflections bouncing off something behind the fence and the car drove off in the opposite direction while Mr Plod was scratching his head.

another version of it Here in case the main link is down

Erm, couldn't he have just shot through a gap or a missing link in the fence to the right? It would have been a lot spookier if he'd just 'vanished' within the blink of an eye when right in front of the cop car mere seconds earlier...

Nice find though.

Been around the block a few times this ...

The speed of the car being chased looks like It's been edited on the video to be real.

And theirs the hole In the fence thats been mentioned.

Great tales. Are there any "ghost car" tales out there, like the "ghost carriage" tales of old?

Hi,

Regarding ghost cars; NilesCalder posted a link on the first page of this thread (as it currently stands) regarding a ghost car in the Western Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The link was from The Scotsman newspaper site (and is now dead :( ) but I recall reading a similar article in The Scotsman print edition many (many) years ago.

I was wondering if anyone else saw it (or did I just imagine it?).

It was 17 years ago, or so, and appeared in the Saturday supplement of The Scotsman. It was a double page spread that gave a detailed account of the ghost car - and more importantly, a possible explanation.

The article started by saying that for many years people on one of the Scottish islands had seen an ancient, black car, an Austin or similar, that would disappear from the single track roads at places where there was no chance of a car turning off into a junction, etc. Thus far, the article merely repeated details that I had read in books, etc. about the ghost.

The article then went on though to say that after the islanders had become almost used to the haunting, a new inhabitant came to the island (a minister or doctor?) who drove an impeccably kept example of just such a vintage car.

One day the minister (I'll call him for sake of argument) was driving the car to the port to catch the ferry across to the mainland to do some shopping, when he saw two of his parishioners walking, with their bags in the same direction. He stopped and, finding out they were also getting the ferry, he offered them a lift.

When they got to the ferry, it was one of those "turntable" types (similar to this one) that were common on the west coast of Scotland in the 1960s and 70s. When the minister got there, the brakes on his car failed, and the car plunged off the deck and into the water. While he managed to struggle out, his two passengers, encumbered by bags and coats both drowned, although the water was shallow enough for their would-be rescuers to stand on the roof of the car while they tried to smash the windows with axes hurriedly handed down from the ferry.

And according to the article, the ghost car continues to be seen, making it's early appearances harbingers of the accident to come, and it's current manifestations commemorative of it.

Now: the above story seems just too good to possibly be true. But I wasn't aware at the time of there being anything in the article to mark it as deliberate fiction. As far as I can remember, the Saturday supplement of The Scotsman wasn't in the habit of printing fiction stories anyway.

Did anybody else see this story? I can't believe that I imagined it - given that I recall all of the above (just (of course :roll: ) nothing actually useful like dates or names, etc.

Help..!

CAL.

Great story! I've not heard it before, although I did sail among the islands a lot in the summers of '75 and '76. (Been through Kyle Rhea a few times, too.)

As you say, without names and dates it's hard to track down more details. Do you remember if the island was in the Inner or Outer Hebrides, or elsewhere? Might narrow it down....

Hi rynner,

No, sorry, I can't remember anything about the island. I'm 99% sure that it wasn't Mull (it would have stuck in my mind if it had been). I have a feeling it might have been Skye (before the bridge was built) but can't even be certain of that.

*Breaking News* I've just done a Google and have found the following:

*An old Austin 1100, without a driver, seen speeding along a bleak cliff-top road at dawn on the Hebridean island of Benbecula which simply vanishes whenever any attempt is made to follow it.

From this page which is quite good and mentions a few cases I've heard of (Blue Bell Hill, Lawrence of Arabia's Brough Superior) and a couple that I haven't.

I don't know for certain that this is the same vehicle - but how many ghost cars can there be in the Hebrides? :)

Edited: because spelling someone's name correctly is polite.

CALGACUS03 said:
Lawrence of Arabia's Brough Superior
I visited Clouds Hill, T.E.L.'s tiny cottage this summer and asked about the phantom Brough and the ghosts that are said to inhabit the house. The national trust custodians were highly sceptical. One said that he spent some time alone in the cottage over a number of years and had never heard the bike or seen a spook, neither had the lady guide downstairs.

I would be interested in more on the Mottram ghost lorry but can find no recent reports of the phenomenon. Further along Longdendale - itself reputedly a 'window' area - is Holme Moss where in c2000 a local driver made the press by reporting a black vintage car which followed him closely and emitted a strong smell and oppressive atmosphere before completely disappearing. The only layby (apart from a deep ravine) is easily seen.

This lead to other observers of the phenomenon coming out the woodwork plus a report of a ghostly coach and horses in the same spot in the 1920s. It suggests the transport motif and the frequent vagueness over identifying make, model or registration is stronger than a specific event, though inevitably the local press 'found' an historic accident to pin the coach ghost to.

There may be good evidence that SS100 was the one on which Lawrence had his fatal accident. However according to the custodians at Clouds Hill T.E.L. had a number of motorcycles provided by George Brough at a discount in return for the kudos the brand enjoyed by association.

Edit: reading the link again it seems they've done their homework.

By coincidence a childhood friend of mine claimed his next door neighbour who worked at Brough (then an elderly man) taught Lawrence of Arabia how to ride a motorbike.

Wonderland - Series 2

2. The Ghostman of Skye

The Isle of Skye is a place marked out not just by its rugged Scottish beauty, but also by an extraordinarily high number of reports of ghost experiences. Local crofters, churchmen and policemen are among the myriad witnesses who claim to have seen a ghostchild, a headless woman, a strange light, or the island's most famous phantom - a ghost car that approaches before evaporating into the night.

With the memory of his deceased wife Nina still fresh in his mind, former missionary Donald Angus Maclean has set himself up as a collector of the island's ghost stories. As he investigates the strange and sometimes sinister tales, it's revealed that he too is haunted - not by visions of disappearing cars or headless women, but by the memory of his dead wife.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... n_of_Skye/

This is a strange and disturbing story - I post it here because of the ghost car, which may be one already mentioned here, but the story could have gone on other threads.

It's difficult to follow at times because of the Hebridean accents, and you may wish for sub-titles - and frequently they are provided! (Only one speaker actually uses Gaelic though!)

Our Techy just rang me, to report a ghost car. :shock:

The entrance to his work is a long drive with a humpback bridge and then a barrier.

He says he approached the bridge some distance behind another car. This car went over the bridge towards the barrier, followed half a minute later by Techy. Over the bridge, though - no car.

It couldn't have reached the barrier, waited for it to rise, started up and driven off in that time. Techy expected to catch it up, but it was out of sight.

:D

Great story, did they say what kind of car it was, not that it matters but it'd be nice to get a time frame for it.

Yup, it was a dark-coloured hatchback.

I'm hoping it rains heavily this afto so he'll come straight home from work, no golf, and I can grill him. ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ast-stunned-BMW-driver-busy-intersection.html

Watch Russian 'ghost' car as it appears out of nowhere and shoots past stunned BMW driver at busy intersection

Dashcam footage appears to show car appearing out of nowhere at junction

Video was taken from vehicle behind a BMW which nearly crashes into car

Viewers from across the world have attempted to explain how car appears

I'm baffled. Difficult to see how it could be faked.

Well, my Dad used to talk about 'blind spots' in the windscreen of cars, but.

I was looking at an ATS forum earlier and they were trying to dissect this.

Back