• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Cars / Road Vehicles: Sightings; Videos; Etc. (Not IHTM)

NilesCalder

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A new take on the Phantom Hitchiker :D

From the Scotsman
scotsman.com/searchresults.cfm?id=123593
Link is dead. No archived version found.

"There were tales, when I was myself a callow hitchhiking youth, of a ghost car in the Western Isles, of some ancient vintage, driven by a little old ghost man. A few fellas I met did say they saw it with their own eyes, howling along a deserted road at dusk, but none claimed to have been given a lift, exactly. Is such a thing possible? You often hear ghost stories of drivers picking up pale, somewhat uncommunicative ladies dressed in white at the dead of night, driving some way then turning round and seeing there’s no-one in the car at all, but can you get the opposite? Can you get in a ghost car? Or would you just foolishly fall to the road and hear phantom laughter fading into the distance.

If you could get a ride, that would be just the very thing - no pollution, no need for road tax, a car that was perfect for the planet. We’d all have them. Perhaps the global multinationals who control the car market know this to be possible and suppress the technology?"

Niles "Laughing Boy" Calder

Last edited by a moderator:
David Gray - author of The Scotsman piece: can you believe they pay the guy to sit on his backside and put out such rubbish?

It's not the Fortean investigator/journalist who's the bedraggled geek, Mr Gray...

Ghost Cars

Has anyone ever seen a ghost car......like the one Cheif Wiggum and Homer saw that time in the Simpsons????

Or did I miss the point........

I remember from Antony Hippisley-Coxe's "Haunted Britain" reports of a ghost car, a very early open model complete with driver and passenger in hats, scarves and goggles, a-la Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It was definitely spotted in Southern England, and not at the time of the London to Brighton rally, either. A brief google turned up this report and this one, both from castleofspirits.com and both from North America.

Also in Hippisley Coxe's book was an account of the ghostly sound of T E Lawrence's motorcycle at his estate, Clouds Hill (he died in a 'bike crash on the estate). There was certainly a ghost bus in London - thread here.

Stu

. . . and there are those extremely weird accounts of children seeing
little goblins or pixies riding around in little open-top vehicles! :eek:

My parents were driving through Sussex one night and passed a veteran car going the other way. The odd thing about it was that it was totally silent and they both had a wierd feeling about it.

Ok, just a thought (and a class example of thread hijacking):

If ghosts of inanimate objects exist then can we argue that the phenomina has nothing to do with the spiritual ie. ghosts are not souls of the departed?

Just a thought.

And a thread hijack.

Also slightly off topic: A friend of mine told me recently that in Germany the traffic reports sometimes warn of 'ghost - drivers' ... by which, he said, they mean cars being driven in the wrong direction on motorways. He said that this still happens quite often - typically when elderly motorists get confused.

jamesveldon said:
If ghosts of inanimate objects exist then can we argue that the phenomina has nothing to do with the spiritual ie. ghosts are not souls of the departed?
Ditto houses that appear out of nowhere and then vanish.
Or rooms that are there one minute and gone the next.
Or even UFO's for that matter... unless you still think they are machines flown from other planets! ;)

One possibility is the same as the "why do ghosts wear clothes" argument. The auto in question may have been near and dear to the departed, so it becomes part of their "appartition".

The second possibility is that the weather conditions (warm and damp) were perfect so the event of the car on the road was "recorded" in the same way some ghosts appear to be.

Another possibility is the tulpa. It appears because someone (either consciously or sub-consciously) expects it to be there.
This MAY also explain Bigfoot! (Talk about off topic!)

TVgeek

TVgeek said:
Another possibility is the tulpa. It appears because someone (either consciously or sub-consciously) expects it to be there.
This MAY also explain Bigfoot! (Talk about off topic!)

TVgeek

You got Tulpas AND Bigfoot in. i'm inpresed!

This thread is turning and turning in a widening Gyre.

(and if anyone wants to discuss that little theory then all the merrier.)

I'm sure I've posted this already , but can't be arsed to find it so I'll post it again.This would have happened mid-seventies.
My mother and her second husband were driving along a back lane on the peat moors ( these lanes are typically very narrow and bordered by rhines) late at night in heavy rain . Suddenly in front of them appeared an old car , a large vintage type car with the headlights each side of the bonnet ( say like those old rollers) . Her husband swerved the car but not enough to get out of the way of the car , as that would have meant driving into the possibly deep , water filled ditch . They stopped , there was no old car , just the rain falling . There was no way they would have missed hitting it if it had been a real car, and they both saw it .

ghost car on the A3

There was an article in the Daily Mail today (Friday 13th!!) about several drivers on the A3 reporting sightings to the police of a car veering off the road. When the police checked out the report they couldnt find any evidence of an accident. They decided to expand the area of their search and found a car which had rolled down a bank and crashed into undergrowth. Its position meant that it couldnt be seen from the road. The weird and very SPOOKY thing was that the car had been there for 5 months and contained the badly decomposed body of a 21 year old man who had been reported missing in July this year. So why had the reports of a car veering off the road been recent ones.... Top story!!

Re: ghost car on the A3

robertsv said:
There was an article in the Daily Mail today (Friday 13th!!) about several drivers on the A3 reporting sightings to the police of a car veering off the road. When the police checked out the report they couldnt find any evidence of an accident. They decided to expand the area of their search and found a car which had rolled down a bank and crashed into undergrowth. Its position meant that it couldnt be seen from the road. The weird and very SPOOKY thing was that the car had been there for 5 months and contained the badly decomposed body of a 21 year old man who had been reported missing in July this year. So why had the reports of a car veering off the road been recent ones.... Top story!!

Yeah, that was in the Metro (Free London Fascist Propoganda) He had apparently been trying to escape from the wreck, and had been traced through his licence plate. everyones talking about it here this morning:D

A couple of Christmases ago I was driving two of my teenage kids down a local country lane when I saw a car swerve across the road in front of me and go through the hedge. The car looked full of teenagers and I felt a real sense of panic and called out something like ' Look out! That car is going to crash!'

My kids thought I was mad as there was nothing. No hole in the hedge, no crashed car, no mangled teenagers. Nobody but me saw a thing, and I had heard nothing either.

That lane is notoriously bendy and dangerous and people use it to sneak home after drinking too much. (I know, as I've been stopped on flimsy pretexts by the police up there so they can smell my breath.) There are often minor crashes, but so far no fatal ones, at least in the last 4 years that I've been using it.
So I dunno... perhaps I'm going mad......

why had the reports of a car veering off the road been recent ones.... Top story!!

Top story indeed!!!!!! Wow! I must get a look at that!
Hermes will be interested as he's into road ghosts.

In Crewe where I come from there are occasional processions of vintage Rolls-Royce cars complete with drivers in goggles and ladies with big hats and veils. So reports of ghostly cars around the Cheshire area might be not all they seem.

Ghost car or just plain bloody weird ?

One Summer about twelve years ago my Mother and I went to visit some friends of the family in West Wales. We were driving along the motorway/dual carriageway between Swansea and Carmarthen, it was mid-morning and mid-week and the traffic was really light.

On one long empty straight, we spotted a car up ahead in the distance. It was an old but immaculate grey Vauxhall Chevette travelling at an incredibly slow pace (well under 50mph). As we overtook them, we looked across at the car and saw an elderly couple sitting very upright inside - him in a flat cap and her with a headscarf - there was a rosary or lucky charm hanging from the rear-view mirror and several brightly coloured knitted blankets on the back seat and parcel shelf. They looked as if they had driven straight out of the early 60s and (by their stern expressions) weren't too pleased about it. I remember we had a bit of a laugh about how out of place they looked.

About ten minutes later (we had passed only one or two more cars) we spotted the same old Chevette up ahead, driving slowly as you like. We thought it was odd but assumed they must have passed us without us noticing. We overtook them again.

A little further on, we overtook a convoy of about four slow-moving cars and caravans and tucked back into the inside lane to find the old grey Chevette in front of us yet again !!! This time, we realised there was absolutely no way they could have over taken us without us noticing. Not a single car had passed us. Besides, their average speed was a good twenty or thirty mph slower than ours. We hadn't passed any turn-offs or roads joining the motorway in the interim, so it was hard to see how they had possibly jumped in front of us.

Puzzled, we overtook the elderly couple and soon left them behind us. The road ahead was clear. That was until we got closer to Carmarthen, when the Chevette appeared again. We didn't know whether to laugh or feel freaked out and I made a point of checking it was the same car, with the same couple inside. It was... the same rosary, flat cap and headscarf.

Perhaps the answer is simple - there were dozens of identical couples in identical cars travelling on the road that day ? Some kind of catholic geriatric grey Chevette rally, where all the cars had the same reg plate ?

I honestly don't know.

Dashwood said:
Ghost car or just plain bloody weird ?

On one long empty straight, we spotted a car up ahead in the distance. It was an old but immaculate grey Vauxhall Chevette travelling at an incredibly slow pace (well under 50mph).

It's reassuring to see that ghost Chevette's reflect all the lack of speed of the originals! My mother's used to rattle heavily at 25mph and begin disintergration at anything over 30mph.

alpha said:
It's reassuring to see that ghost Chevette's reflect all the lack of speed of the originals! My mother's used to rattle heavily at 25mph and begin disintergration at anything over 30mph.

Ah that reminds me of my mother's black split screen Morris Minor , I was so proud that we were always at the front of every line of cars :D
That used to shed body parts too.

PHANTOM LIGHTS THAT SPARKED A 40-YEAR GHOST HUNT
09:30 - 19 June 2003

I have been ghost hunting for nearly 40 years. Phantom lights in the chapel at Bossiney on Midsummer Eve 1965 were the genesis. My interest in travelling ghosts dates back to the early 1970s when I interviewed a man called Patrick Humpherson who had had a strange experience on the old road which sliced Bodmin Moor.

He was driving a car between Five Lanes and Jamaica Inn, and recalled: "I hadn't been aware of anything on the road ahead when, without warning, an old green car came from nowhere and overtook me on the nearside.

"I had no time to brake or swerve, nor could I have done anything. It was alongside me and then gone in a flash!

"But in those few brief seconds I saw it as a very old open car with hood pulled back, and its four occupants were young men who were singing boisterously and half standing on their seats.

"The passenger in the back, furthest from me, had a hat in his hand.

"The car didn't have any headlights, and the only indication of lighting was an old brass lamp, the old oil type fitted between the door and windscreen.

"I expect I swore at these seemingly crazy idiots for passing me on the wrong side and I eased my speed, somehow half expecting something else to come along, but nothing did and I went on to Falmouth without further incident.

"The years went on, but I never got the sight of that car out of my mind. Certain details stood out very clearly.

"I cannot remember any engine noise but I have the distinct memory of happy singing and one of the men in a half-standing position, the one nearest to me, was wearing a three-quarter-length brown tweed coat.

"Then one day I came into the company of a group of coach drivers - we were in the car park at St Ives - and there was the usual amount of leg pulling, which was mainly directed at one man, a serious type who kept repeating an experience he'd had the previous night.

"I inquired and was told he'd encountered a ghost car when he was travelling from Tavistock to Liskeard.

"I at once naturally became very interested and asked a few questions, and soon learned that this driver had had the same experience as me many years before - though his experience had been some miles from mine.

"Before meeting this man, I had never told anyone of my encounter with the phantom car.

"But he gave me the same description, and the car and the occupants were the same as those I had seen."

Interest in the subject deepened on a November afternoon in 1984.

It was early afternoon - very clear visibility and on one of those almost empty November roads in Cornwall.

I had been doing business down on the south coast and was driving along the Bodmin to Camelford road when I saw this cyclist coming in the opposite direction, from Camelford.

There was nothing vague or misty about the man or his cycle, but suddenly they were no longer on the road - there one moment and gone the next.

I was certain we had not passed one another.

Immediately my paranormal instincts were roused and I turned the van around and drove more than half a mile back along the road, but there was no sign of the cyclist - I am sure that in the time scale he could not have reached the next side turning.

Moreover on reflection he, his clothes and his cycle all seemed of an earlier time, and they were all grey - as if one were looking at a photograph in an old family album.

Soon after that November afternoon sighting I was speaking to a group of people in North Cornwall, on the subject of paranormal activity in the West Country. One of the audience told me how, only a few days before, he had been driving along the road near Bude and had been aware of another car following him.

A few moments later, when he looked in the driver's mirror, there was no sign of the following car.

He was quite convinced it had simply vanished, and expressed the view that a tiny percentage of the cars we see travelling on our roads may be ghost vehicles.

In October 2001 I had a brief but vivid experience in the lanes near Helstone.

Driving back to St Teath, I saw this grey van coming up the lane in the opposite direction. I halted my car at a suitable spot to let the van pass when suddenly the van vanished. The manifestation lasted probably less than half a minute, but I have no doubt about the reality of it. It was 4.30 in the afternoon and visibility was excellent.
Source
thisiscornwall.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=79373&command=displayContent&sourceNode=78925&contentPK=6038328
Link is dead. No archived version found. The MIA article is presumed to be quoted in full above.

Road ghost

The post about the chevette reminded me of when I used to live up on shooters hill (a huge ridge on the edge of london when my family had a chevette in which the radiator would actually slide out of the front of the car when we went down steep slopes. One time when we were sitting in a small park by the side of the hill from which you can see all of london. an ancient motorbike chugs up the road to the crest of the hill. When I say old I mean no later than the 1920's it was tiny and basically a push bike with a motor strapped to its iron frame. a man gets off the bike and stands looking out over london for about two minutes completely still. this man was wearing an old (possibly army) greatcoat leather helmet and goggles. he got back on his bike turned his back to london and rode away up the hill. we saw no one else at all during the time - the whole area seemed deserted. Although that isn't exactly unusual it's a very quiet bit of london. I've never seen him again and i'd be very surprised if that motorbike could have gone more than a few miles without disintegrating.

alpha said:

I got 92mph out of mine !! my first ever car, cost me £500....

I recall one report (not sure where it was, off the top of my head - somewhere in the US I think) of a 'ghost car' which disappeared in front of several witnesses.

Has anyone ever heard of this case? It seems a strange one:

Ghost Car Police Chase
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060902055509/http://www.break.com/index/ghost_car.html

... but the video / video link that is the whole of the story is MIA.

Here's the text (such as it is) from the original posting:

8/21/2006 - This is a pretty cool video. Cops are chasing down a car. During the entire clip I was waiting to see the guy turn off his lights and disappear and thats the ghost car. Was surprised to see the ending and still cant figure out how he did it.

See later post for a working link to what may or may not be the same video.

I still can't understand how could it go past the fence without destroying it. I've searched the net for more info, but came up empty :(

I can't find anything more either, but then there's not much information to go on.

The video doesn't seem quite so baffling without the soundtrack - perhaps the car simply went around the fence, or (less likely), the fence wasn't fixed at the bottom and it flipped up and back down as the car passed under?

Jane.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy Crap!

it flipped up and back down as the car passed under?

Maybe but it would flip when the cops went at the fence surely.

That video looks pretty crap to me.
What I'm guessing is that further to the left, that fence stops, and the car went past the side of it when the camera wasn't on it. Then when the camera was trained back on the car, the bit where the fence stops wasn't in sight, and it looked like the car had gone thru the fence. Sleight of hand!

I couldn't view the vid in the OP but I'll guess it's this one - in the second post below mine, Emps has posted some info.

Embedded link is dead. No archived version found.

See later post for a working link to what may or may not be the same video.

That probably explains it but why would the driver deliberately slow down making turns like that.

Also the video has been f*cked around so much by the program makers, it's hard to judge.

Back