• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Ghost Hunting' Shows Are Getting So Bad That It's Beyond Amusing

I feel your post is drifting into labeling people who experience a ghost encounter as being irrational and I think that's not helpful.

I take your point, but strictly speaking, 'rational' suggests a logical or empirical basis.

SIT and social-identity based decisions are behaviours, they consists of 'reasons'. The way people generally think, act and persuade is based on 'reasons' and 'reasons' are generally to persuade others and advance one's own agenda or beliefs and are more often than not irrational or illogical.

E.g. believing in something just because other people near you believe in something is not rational. It's understandable however.

Of course no-one thinks they are 'irrational' but in truth, most of us are most of the time. Like I said, 'rational' or logical' thought is literally our second nature and exercising it will often cause conflict (like now) and most shy away from the conflict. For the same reason, whistle-blowers are rare and for every one there are 999 people who irrationally 'didn't rock the boat', even in the face of ongoing harm to others.

It may give some pause for thought to be considered irrational, especially if it nudges a firmly set self-identity as a ghost hunter or 'believer'. It's worth reading the second paper @Sharon Hill provided a link to and it can readily be seen how 'reasons' are used for all manner or irrational justifications, not that this is unique to believing in ghosts.

Whilst I am now pretty sceptical about things that occurred over 40 years ago in our “haunted house” in London one thing was pretty clear, whenever something that may have been paranormal occurred our two cats and the dog used to go mental. Hackles would go up, spitting and barking would start and invariably all three pairs of eyes, wherever their individual location, would all be focused on the same spot. I couldn’t therefore hold back a smirk when watching an episode of “Help my house is haunted” when during the height of supposed paranormal activity, a small black cat slept soundly on a bed...until someone sat on the bed, disturbing said cat who looked around then went back to sleep.

Different cameras have different battery usage. Depending on make, some cameras may last longer than others. Depending on the make, some batteries may last longer than others. It’s tempting, when buying a camera, to buy cheaper third party batteries which can be less than half the price but in my experience, they usually fall well short of the recording time your camera manual is telling you for the official battery. It’s also possible you may also forget to charge it fully before use.
Also resolution and frame rates will have an effect on batteries. For instance, I would expect a 1080p output at 30FPS to outlast 4k@60FPS. It’s also highly likely night vision is also an additional drain on the battery. Full avi, H264 or H265 or other formats may also give different recording times.
Temperature also has an effect on battery life. It’s possible that what you’ve filmed at a summer wedding will last longer than a cold, damp cellar on a winter’s evening.

I’ve said before that investigators should test their kit and benchmark under normal conditions. Test a fully charged battery and film the goldfish in your unhaunted house. See how long the movie is and how long the battery lasts.
Test it again in a cold room at night. See if there’s a difference.
Check all the batteries are registering full power at the top of an investigation.
Make a note of who’s recording what format and what resolution.

To sum up. If ghost hunters can’t be bothered to investigate the limitations of their own kit, how are we to believe anything about their findings?

It's perfectly explainable Swifty.

From having owned literally scores of various rechargeable torches for cycling over the years I can say that the USB ones, (won't bore you with listing the battery types), are notoriously unreliable when it comes to self-discharge. In fact, one of mine the other night that I use on my city commute should by my estimation have lasted another 4 hours but died. I had to go and buy another torch just to legally/safely get home - and the one that failed was an expensive USB rechargeable, (they weigh so little - that's why they are popular), that I'd taken good care of.

You won't be able to replicate it from a scientific point of view. Recharging is also dependent, on the state of the battery, the temperature of the room you are charging it in, I suspect moisture and other factors play a part too. Things you can't easily replicate. Charging fully is often too much and I reckon it's a deliberate design to age batteries faster as manufacturers know people leave batteries on the charger for too long.

What gets me about equipment in modern ghost hunting and modern ghost hunters is they never try and reduce the variables. If I was going to go ghost hunting I'd bring 3 brand new identical torches with brand new, (decent brand), non-rechargeable batteries so they are much, much less fail. If one does and I'd be very surprised. You got the other two to test with.

They also don't know much about the equipment they are using.

So much ghost hunting media including good ones such as Astonishing legends all cite equipment battery failure as possibly paranormal activity.

It isn't it. It's that modern crappy rechargeable batteries which people have made faulty by over-charging them fail a lot.

Also on one of your Vids Swifty one of the team appeared to have a vape machine in his hand - that might have explained that mysterious mist you all spotted.

just bumping this to accompany AB's above post.

Different cameras have different battery usage. Depending on make, some cameras may last longer than others. Depending on the make, some batteries may last longer than others. It’s tempting, when buying a camera, to buy cheaper third party batteries which can be less than half the price but in my experience, they usually fall well short of the recording time your camera manual is telling you for the official battery. It’s also possible you may also forget to charge it fully before use.
Also resolution and frame rates will have an effect on batteries. For instance, I would expect a 1080p output at 30FPS to outlast 4k@60FPS. It’s also highly likely night vision is also an additional drain on the battery. Full avi, H264 or H265 or other formats may also give different recording times.
Temperature also has an effect on battery life. It’s possible that what you’ve filmed at a summer wedding will last longer than a cold, damp cellar on a winter’s evening.

I’ve said before that investigators should test their kit and benchmark under normal conditions. Test a fully charged battery and film the goldfish in your unhaunted house. See how long the movie is and how long the battery lasts.
Test it again in a cold room at night. See if there’s a difference.
Check all the batteries are registering full power at the top of an investigation.
Make a note of who’s recording what format and what resolution.

To sum up. If ghost hunters can’t be bothered to investigate the limitations of their own kit, how are we to believe anything about their findings?
Bang on with all of that .. and to add, not all investigators are aware of this but if you have a mobile phone on you and it's on flight mode, it will affect EMF meters .. so make sure all team members phones aren't on flight mode or more ideally switched off completely.

We're (our team) all very aware that if we go to a location that's said to be haunted, that looks spooky and we were to just be waving gadgets around and letting our imaginations get away with us (and any ghost investigator who denies these point is, well, in denial .. or frauds just after youtube 'likes') .. we're aware that we won't be taken seriously.

.. and then there's massive sceptics who refuse any evidence put in front of them, no matter how methodical and organised a ghost team has been. I could even join in if I felt like it and quite correctly point out that a team member might be a ventriloquist which would neatly explain away every disembodied voice ever heard by any ghost team ever.

A funny example happened during our second visit to All Saints Church in Santon .. I was outside in the graveyard with another team member when two other team members exited the church and one told us she had just heard a woman scream outside which was backed by the other team member who said he'd also heard it. Eddie Mallet (team member with me outside) reminded them that we were also a few hundred metres from a dogging site ..

(for any non UK forum members that might not know the term 'dogging', it's a place where strangers meet up in secluded areas in cars to have sex with each other etc) ..

.. but then if myself and Eddie were outside, why didn't we hear the scream?

.. a more interesting one was when a different team's camera was physically switched off in the same location at a different date .. not a battery drain but a button that had been manually depressed to the off position. His footage was recording and nobody was near his camera for the duration of the filming which could be illustrated by multi camera footage and later analysis of his camera's stored information. Luke Tabram from Shadow Paranormal.

Last edited:
I've always been annoyed by certain investigators who wave magnetic field meter around and enthuse about how the field strength changes. Magnetic fields are vectors. Their strength is dependent on direction.
Different EMF meters also work in different ways with different polarities.

Bang on with all of that .. and to add, not all investigators are aware of this but if you have a mobile phone on you and it's on flight mode, it will affect EMF meters .. so make sure all team members phones aren't on flight mode or more ideally switched off completely.

We're (our team) all very aware that if we go to a location that's said to be haunted, that looks spooky and we were to just be waving gadgets around and letting our imaginations get away with us (and any ghost investigator who denies these point is, well, in denial .. or frauds just after youtube 'likes') .. we're aware that we won't be taken seriously.

.. and then there's massive sceptics who refuse any evidence put in front of them, no matter how methodical and organised a ghost team has been. I could even join in if I felt like it and quite correctly point out that a team member might be a ventriloquist which would neatly explain away every disembodied voice ever heard by any ghost team ever.

A funny example happened during our second visit to All Saints Church in Santon .. I was outside in the graveyard with another team member when two other team members exited the church and one told us she had just heard a woman scream outside which was backed by the other team member who said he'd also heard it. Eddie Mallet (team member with me outside) reminded them that we were also a few hundred metres from a dogging site ..

(for any non UK forum members that might not know the term 'dogging', it's a place where strangers meet up in secluded areas in cars to have sex with each other etc) ..

.. but then if myself and Eddie were outside, why didn't we hear the scream?

.. a more interesting one was when a different team's camera was physically switched off in the same location at a different date .. not a battery drain but a button that had been manually depressed to the off position. His footage was recording and nobody was near his camera for the duration of the filming which could be illustrated by multi camera footage and later analysis of his camera's stored information. Luke Tabram from Shadow Paranormal.

I think we've all managed to get over all that crap about orbs. That was all about ghost hunters not understanding their equipment.

I won’t make the same comment in relation to your investigation at the dogging site.

different polarities? Im not sure what you mean. The polarity would be the direction of the B field. If you ask most teams who operate them, they don't know if they're measuring a vector or total (scalar) field.
It's also ironic that they're called EMF meters. In physics, EMF = electromotive force. We always called them B field meters (or at a push H meters).

A phone won't necessarily set off a magnetic field meter. It depends if the meter is designed to pick up AC fields or DC fields. A lot of the meters I've seen are the type used to find cables in walls - designed to pick up AC. Very few can detect DC, or natural fields. The TriField meter could do this.

A phone won't necessarily set off a magnetic field meter. It depends if the meter is designed to pick up AC fields or DC fields. A lot of the meters I've seen are the type used to find cables in walls - designed to pick up AC. Very few can detect DC, or natural fields. The TriField meter could do this.
I'll get back to you on the specifics on my comments about polarities and how flight mode can effect tech .. it's been a long day sorry .. and I'm no electrical engineering expert but am at least aware .. there's also 'electromagnetic fluctuation' .. the EMF interpretation more popular with paranormal investigators but yes, about 1% of them/ us are experts in the field.

https://electrical-engineering-port...hasor-polarities-of-transformer-polarity-test

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_field

.. and of course there's always EMF ..

Last edited:
Consider it a public service; the least I could do for a Mod in need of direction.

;)

one of our team members, started complaining of chest pains and wasn't looking well. For all I know, he could have been drinking nasty energy drinks all day (for one example amongst other non paranormal explanations)? .. I asked him if this was usual for him and he told me it wasn't,.
Just a suggestion to keep in mind for these particular symptoms - nauseousness, pale clammy skin and chest pain can signal heart attack.

Just wouldn't want to see someone drive home while experiencing a heart attack. It's fairly common.

Now I see a few people expressed their concern for the gentleman who had chest pains. I'm a little behind in my reading.

Last edited:
He has the scooter and parka and everything.

He goes dogging on a scooter ?

Why can't he use a five-door hatch back like everyone else.

INT21.

(or so I am told)

Does anybody here know how these "spirit boxes" they use on TV actually work? I'm currently watching Unexplained: Caught on Camera, and they've used them on Paranormal Lockdown and Kindred Spirits (Zzzz...) too. I'm talking about the ones which seem to output odd words when people ask questions.

Are they using radio somehow, or are they pre-programmed with a selection of words which they then spit out at random?

Anybody used one?

Reactions: Ger
Back