• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Ghost Hunting' Shows Are Getting So Bad That It's Beyond Amusing

I've no idea what this next one is called but it's that app that mostly teenage girls use for facebook to give themselves 'cute' animal ears and noses for pictures, this has now evolved into youtube videos of this happening in moving action. Now we have vids of tweens posing and then a 'no face' ears and nose suddenly appearing next to them, purported to be proof of the paranormal.
Oh. My. God. I shouldn't be surprised at that, yet... people continue to flummox me.

I've no idea what this next one is called but it's that app that mostly teenage girls use for facebook to give themselves 'cute' animal ears and noses for pictures, this has now evolved into youtube videos of this happening in moving action. Now we have vids of tweens posing and then a 'no face' ears and nose suddenly appearing next to them, purported to be proof of the paranormal.

There's various stuff now that shows seamless morphing of images which means the only way to shoot anything is with a polaroid or box camera.

As bad as the mainstream shows are, there's a whole other level of stuff to make you weep in the you tube wannabes, mostly 20 something dude-bro types (named for the battle cry) who are legend tripping in supposedly haunted places.

One of the more dumb and dangerous video series(!) involves Clinton Road in New Jersey. This has many urban legends associated with it from mysterious shadows at the roadside, cult gatherings, a haunted bridge, the Jersey Devil and last but not least phantom trucks.

It's the phantom trucks which seem to be the attraction in the videos - or more accurately trucks. As is articulated big rigs.

The you tubers get hyped up at each truck on the quiet night-time road. Chasing them in their cars, or trying to flag them down, or throwing stones at the trucks, or even trying to touch them as they drive past.

To be honest, it's the truck drivers I have most sympathy for. On a long drive down a dark rural road the last thing I'd want to have to deal with is some excitable youths. You get the resigned feeling that eventually a horrible accident will occur,if these 'tubers persist in their legend trips.

Those videos always seems to have cupboards or windows or doorways or posters in the background that some poor bit of software is desperately trying to conform to a face. If it is able to generate faces on cue against a blank featureless wall, we might be onto something.

As bad as the mainstream shows are, there's a whole other level of stuff to make you weep in the you tube wannabes, mostly 20 something dude-bro types (named for the battle cry) who are legend tripping in supposedly haunted places.

One of the more dumb and dangerous video series(!) involves Clinton Road in New Jersey. This has many urban legends associated with it from mysterious shadows at the roadside, cult gatherings, a haunted bridge, the Jersey Devil and last but not least phantom trucks.

It's the phantom trucks which seem to be the attraction in the videos - or more accurately trucks. As is articulated big rigs.

The you tubers get hyped up at each truck on the quiet night-time road. Chasing them in their cars, or trying to flag them down, or throwing stones at the trucks, or even trying to touch them as they drive past.

To be honest, it's the truck drivers I have most sympathy for. On a long drive down a dark rural road the last thing I'd want to have to deal with is some excitable youths. You get the resigned feeling that eventually a horrible accident will occur,if these 'tubers persist in their legend trips.
How can they tell the difference between a phantom truck and a truck? .. rhetorical question of course, my real question is that is there a reported actual phantom truck phenomena or are these people just fans of the films DUEL and Maximum Overdrive or the trickle down effect of these pop culture films?

How can they tell the difference between a phantom truck and a truck? .. rhetorical question of course, my real question is that is there a reported actual phantom truck phenomena or are these people just fans of the films DUEL and Maximum Overdrive or the trickle down effect of these pop culture films?

As near as I can tell, the legend is that on Clinton Road, Phantom Trucks will appear and chase motorists - flashing high beams, sounding the horn. The legend is that they are trying to run the motorists of the road and will disappear if you safely make it off Clinton Road.

However, what we see/they see on these videos is well lit semi trucks and dump trucks being driven down a dark rural road in a normal safe manner at 3am. No flashing of high beams. No sounding of horn and no chasing. Possibly just a teamster at the start or end of a long shift heading back to base or off on a trip and having to put up with legend tripping idiots.

The closest 'chase' video I saw as a different group who basically goad the driver of a pick-up into chasing them. There's a wickedly amusing moment as, with shocked realisation, they are followed by the very real truck and it's very real annoyed driver off of Clinton Road :)

EDIT: I'd share the links, but as these dude-bros are doing it for video views and likes (as you are reminded every 15 seconds) I'm not sure I want to encourage them.

We had a thread discussing Clinton Road, but I can no longer find it.

I remember one of the Clinton Road trucker videos, a truck followed them home. Possibly to scare them because they transported illegal goods. Don't think it's paranormal. There are other paranormal stuff happening on the road according to witnesses.

We had a thread discussing Clinton Road, but I can no longer find it.

I remember one of the Clinton Road trucker videos, a truck followed them home. Possibly to scare them because they transported illegal goods. Don't think it's paranormal. There are other paranormal stuff happening on the road according to witnesses.

There must be something to the various legends about the road, there are too many stories about it so something weird or uncanny cannot be completely ruled out, but for the most part the you tubers I've seen are seeing regular trucks doing regular truck things and screaming "phantom truck".

If there is a dodgy element here using trucks and pickups then sooner or later these legend tripper will become a nasty cropper in a decidedly non-ghost related way if they keep on goading and hassling the drivers

There must be something to the various legends about the road, there are too many stories about it so something weird or uncanny cannot be completely ruled out, but for the most part the you tubers I've seen are seeing regular trucks doing regular truck things and screaming "phantom truck".

If there is a dodgy element here using trucks and pickups then sooner or later these legend tripper will become a nasty cropper in a decidedly non-ghost related way if they keep on goading and hassling the drivers

Then stories of the phantom legend tripper will start...

It's a long story but I should have been on a ghost invest at this location tonight, 30 East Drive in Pontefract.

An extremely good friend of mine will be at this location tonight and I can't wait to see what if anything he captures.

This below link is clearly emulating the Most Haunted format in presentation style. Some cynics will see this as evidence that all ghost invests are staged. I could provide other less 'glossy' video links of invests at this house, made by people with less sophisticated equipment and working class regional accents which the same cynics would claim as evidence that only thick poor uneducated people believe in ghosts. You can't win either way ..

Last edited:
different polarities? Im not sure what you mean. The polarity would be the direction of the B field. If you ask most teams who operate them, they don't know if they're measuring a vector or total (scalar) field.
It's also ironic that they're called EMF meters. In physics, EMF = electromotive force. We always called them B field meters (or at a push H meters).

I've just remembered I was promised a reply to this and other comments when I pointed out how science is often wrongly applied and described, but the silence is resounding...

It's a long story but I should have been on a ghost invest at this location tonight, 30 East Drive in Pontefract.

An extremely good friend of mine will be at this location tonight and I can't wait to see what if anything he captures.

This below link is clearly emulating the Most Haunted format in presentation style. Some cynics will see this as evidence that all ghost invests are staged. I could provide other less 'glossy' video links of invests at this house, made by people with less sophisticated equipment and working class regional accents which the same cynics would claim as evidence that only thick poor uneducated people believe in ghosts. You can't win either way ..

FFS.
‘Did you move this?’
‘Yes I moved it.’

‘What was that?’
‘Sorry I just knocked that’.

Meanwhile, there’s endless noise coming from all over the place.
If you had a fully kitted-out One Man Band constantly blowing a kazoo and banging a drum while he makes an investigation, I swear you’d get more out of it.

FFS.
‘Did you move this?’
‘Yes I moved it.’

‘What was that?’
‘Sorry I just knocked that’.

Meanwhile, there’s endless noise coming from all over the place.
If you had a fully kitted-out One Man Band constantly blowing a kazoo and banging a drum while he makes an investigation, I swear you’d get more out of it.
You'd be amazed how often you make a noise while trying to stay perfectly still in a dark room with other people .. the fact that they were honest enough to admit they moved the object or made that noise themselves illustrates that they're not trying to fake things for the video.

also produces high frequency white noise which apparently helps spirits in communicating
Wouldn't listening to white noise just put you in a trance?

You'd be amazed how often you make a noise while trying to stay perfectly still in a dark room with other people .. the fact that they were honest enough to admit they moved the object or made that noise themselves illustrates that they're not trying to fake things for the video.
I think that's what happens in the first of the videos when the chap sits on the bed.
At least it seem that way on watching it to me - he made a kind of involuntary sigh sitting down which was misinterpreted as a 'growl' or 'groan' by his companion.
Also - an this is a common puzzle point I have - why is the investigation done in darkness?
I can understand this in old or abandoned locations with no power, but in modern locations why not turn on the lights?
All the better to observe the phenomenon.
Genuinely curious as I would have thought the phenomena is indifferent to the light level.

I can understand this in old or abandoned locations with no power, but in modern locations why not turn on the lights?
All the better to observe the phenomenon.
Genuinely curious as I would have thought the phenomena is indifferent to the light level.
If one assumes they might have an effect that produces light, the phenomenon will be more obviously visible in darkness as it won't have to be visible over the lights.

/also for dramatic effect

If one assumes they might have an effect that produces light, the phenomenon will be more obviously visible in darkness as it won't have to be visible over the lights.

/also for dramatic effect
true enough - orbs seem to be a feature of these investigations. That said some of the light anomalies captured on video do look quite strange like a candle flame passing through the shot rather than a defined ball.

I was in a toy store the other day. Lego has brought out some new sets called Hidden Side. The theme appears to be ghost hunters.

I was in a toy store the other day. Lego has brought out some new sets called Hidden Side. The theme appears to be ghost hunters.
I've just looked that up from your tip off Xanatic* .. here's a review of it

Radio has always seemed a bit mysterious to people. It was a small leap when it first came out to think that it could be used to communicate with ghosts (or aliens) and apparently that hasn't ever gone away! People STILL don't really know how technology works other than you push this button and something happens.

This struck a chord with me because I was once given a build-your-own crystal wireless radio kit from the London Science Museum Shop. I vaguely remember coiling copper wire around an empty toilet roll, sliding something (a transducer ?) up and down the coil to change frequency and attaching some cheap ear phones. One minute I'm sitting in a quiet bedroom, the next there are voices and snippets of conversations (some in different languages) in my ear - I was stunned - the airwaves just packed with silent invisible chatter waiting for a receiver.

Wouldn't listening to white noise just put you in a trance?

No - white noise is just multiple frequencies sounding simultaneously. Some people use a white noise generator to help them sleep, but it wouldn't put you in a trance.

The ghost box devices I think use white noise to mask the fact that they're picking up radio broadcasts & to make anything picked up more difficult to hear clearly, to appear more mysterious. Voices appearing through the ether etc. If the white noise weren't there it would be a bit more obvious & mundane.

I also used to make crystal sets. I still have a genuine 'cats whisker'.

The variable capacitor was usually sourced from some old radio found on the tip.

It was the start of my lifelong interest in radio and electronics.

I’ve been catching up on a number of ghost hunting programmes on Prime, and there are many of them to sift through. Most are American and don't really appeal to me as I don’t know the locations and most seem to edge towards the Demon in place of the ghost.
The British ones are really poor, one in particular is fronted by this aggressive guy who turns up in his Rambo gear, “demands” what he wants in a Zak Bagans “mini-me” manner then gets all scaredy cat and wants to close down the investigation and go home when anything remotely untoward occurs. And the reliance on technology is ridiculous. Ghost boxes that generate a number of unconnected words which the hosts try and assemble into something meaningful is really quite pathetic.
Couldn’t one of the big channels commission/work with the SPR, or some other grown ups, to carry out intelligent research, over a decent period of time and present the findings in a documentary style based on what is actually seen, heard recorded?

Back