Ghost Or FOAF?

Tunn11

Junior Acolyte
What do you think?

Something the other day made me recall a story told to my mother by a work colleague. This must have been forty or more years ago. I’ve not heard it anywhere else but it has all the trappings of a FOAF story. It goes like this:

A couple lost their only daughter in a tragic accident. After her funeral they decided to have a holiday – West Country I think, and took a camera with them. On their return they had the photos developed. In each photo they could see the image of their daughter. Not as a person or ephemeral image but in the landscape as her profile in a cloud, her face in the leaves of a tree or the sun on a rock, etc. This was too much for them and they destroyed camera, negatives and photos.

An undated story about unidentified people with no evidence sounds like a FOAF. Has anyone else heard it? If it isn’t then the obvious explanation is pareidolia together with their grief. I also found the alleged destruction of the photos a bit odd. I would have thought most people in those circumstances would find them comforting.

I put this in ghosts but if it is a FOAF perhaps it could be moved?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I've known grieving people who go through an extended period during which they see (or claim to see) things strongly reflective of the deceased (face; movements; behaviors; etc.) all around them and all the time. It can be quite creepy if / when such folks openly and repeatedly discuss such incidents - especially if they point out the similarity / simulacrum in real time.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
What do you think?

Something the other day made me recall a story told to my mother by a work colleague. This must have been forty or more years ago. I’ve not heard it anywhere else but it has all the trappings of a FOAF story. It goes like this:

A couple lost their only daughter in a tragic accident. After her funeral they decided to have a holiday – West Country I think, and took a camera with them. On their return they had the photos developed. In each photo they could see the image of their daughter. Not as a person or ephemeral image but in the landscape as her profile in a cloud, her face in the leaves of a tree or the sun on a rock, etc. This was too much for them and they destroyed camera, negatives and photos.

An undated story about unidentified people with no evidence sounds like a FOAF. Has anyone else heard it? If it isn’t then the obvious explanation is pareidolia together with their grief. I also found the alleged destruction of the photos a bit odd. I would have thought most people in those circumstances would find them comforting.

I put this in ghosts but if it is a FOAF perhaps it could be moved?
It could be completely true and even explained by double exposure of film.
I've seen this firsthand - my Dad took some pictures of myself and my sister when we were very young and was surprised to find that a couple right at the end of the film clearly had images of an old lady in them. It was a mystery until my Dad had worked out that the film hadn't wound on correctly and the pictures had blended perfectly.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
It could be completely true and even explained by double exposure of film.
I've seen this firsthand - my Dad took some pictures of myself and my sister when we were very young and was surprised to find that a couple right at the end of the film clearly had images of an old lady in them. It was a mystery until my Dad had worked out that the film hadn't wound on correctly and the pictures had blended perfectly.
Are you saying that you & your sister, when blended together as children, resembled an old woman? That's a bit weird in itself.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Are you saying that you & your sister, when blended together as children, resembled an old woman? That's a bit weird in itself.
Uh, no. The old lady was a neighbour who'd been friendly and my Mum and Dad had photographed her on a separate occasion.
It was the end of the film and it didn't wind on correctly, so there was a double exposure.
AFAIK, this can't happen with digital cameras.