• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Research in Lincoln UK

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
awww. Oh dear, I'm getting old.

http://www.freewebs.com/believe_ghosts/index.htm is the web-site of a few young lads who are trying to find out more about the ghosts in their local area. There are loads of spelling and punctuation mistakes and self-consciously gothy photos which reveal the participants' extreme youth. However, I find myself liking the site content because it isn't pretentious or long-winded, the team members are clearly enjoying themselves and the investigations pages tell some good ghost stories. It also seems that they are ambitious and claim they have a TV series deal with the Discovery Channel. Good luck to them I say!

we began doing saionces and table topping in the Main upstairs room, where the victorian is ment to roam.

Good luck to 'em......Pretty entertaining stuff. And I love the creative use of the English language.... :)

Well, yes, they are MH wannabees but they're only babies. I can see a lot of potential in local ghost-hunting sites...

Although we have yet to carry out or arrange an investigation at Lincoln Cathedral, we do have video footage from about a year ago. In this footage we can see the Cathedral on the inside; we also see how our team feels about the Cathedral. Whether it should be classified as haunted or not. One member of our group Phil Pocknee felt very uncomfortable in the Cathedral, could this be because he felt a presence, or was it just his wild imagination playing tricks on him?

or was it his pointy goth boots and skin tight trousers? :mrgreen:

Don't worry about the opinion of others, we at groups.msn.com/GhostConnections wish you GOOD LUCK with your adventure.

Don't you have anything else to say Paul Lee

"What can't be cure, must be endured", I really do think that this must sum up what a lot of people are saying about you

Your quote is old hat now!!!!!!!!!

If you have nothing good to say about someone then say nothing at all

[Emp edit: removing the size and colour tags on the blatant plug.]

Paul,

Interesting piece and I agree with your article.

I wish you had approached our group with your views before coming onto the forum to discredit us.

I'd say enthusiasm is always a good thing - youthful enthusiasm can quite easily grow into older wisdom. Not knocking ASSAP or the SPR in the slightest, but I think it's positive that younger people are actually going out there and seeing for themselves - they'll learn by trial and error, Paul, just as you and me and countless others have. So long as they haven't got a customised van and a talking Great Dane, good luck to them :D.

guidedspirithunter - do keep us informed, and conversely, feel free to ask. We're all in this together :).

Thank you for your comments Stu

We are all stiving to prove or disprove many theories

All the managers of our group, myself included are studying various courses in the field of "Paranomal Phenomena" to further our knowledge and aid our research.

We are not "Most Haunted Wannabes" we are mature adults with an interest that we are persuing.

Along with our interest we would like other like minded people to join us so we can share our findings.

http://groups.msn.com/GhostConnections

[Emp edit: Removed the large and bold text BBCode - could you stop that please?]

Paul - your comment does you no credit whatsoever. Why not support some youthful enthusiasm instead of immediately debunking it?

It's a good thing to have young people with a *genuine* interest in the supernatural - after all, we all have to start somewhere.

Good luck to them says I.

Once again, I'm left wondering why people who are smart enough to build a website aren't smart enough to use a spellchecker. That aside, my main criticism of the Believe team - and indeed of most research groups of this type - is that they seem to have drawn their conclusions before they've even started their investigations. For example, going to a supposedly haunted location and photographing orbs of light does not count as proof that ghosts exist. It may well count as proof that orbs of light exist - but that is quite a different kettle of fish.

Nevertheless, this discussion (and DPL's article) does raise the question of whether there can be a 'correct' way to investigate paranormal phenomena. Despite a century of quasi-scientific research by respectable ghost-hunters such as the SPR, we are still as far away as ever from establishing the nature, or even the reality, of these phenomena. Perhaps chasing after ghosts with EMF detectors and thermal scanners is as inappropriate as trying to use remote-viewing to study the structure of DNA.

staticgirl said:
awww. Oh dear, I'm getting old.

http://www.freewebs.com/believe_ghosts/index.htm is the web-site of a few young lads who are trying to find out more about the ghosts in their local area. There are loads of spelling and punctuation mistakes and self-consciously gothy photos which reveal the participants' extreme youth. However, I find myself liking the site content because it isn't pretentious or long-winded, the team members are clearly enjoying themselves and the investigations pages tell some good ghost stories. It also seems that they are ambitious and claim they have a TV series deal with the Discovery Channel. Good luck to them I say!

Calling the group 'believe' doesn't make for an objective start does it?

I do like the teams' profiles - it's a bit like Teenage Top Trumps. ;)

edit: Joking and (abysmal spelling) aside - good luck to them. While I can't imagine them making any great advances i see no harm in it and they're clearly having fun. Note: They are offering free copies of their investigations dvd which is pretty generous i'd say.

I found this page whilst having a look for info on the Lincoln Imp. From BBC Lincolnshire:

Well people seem to in 'The Believe team'. They have become one of the highest regarded ghost teams in the UK.

------------------

They have recently finished their first DVD, which was filmed all around the City of Lincoln, and contains lots of footage, which shows that Lincoln is very active where the paranormal is concerned.

The team have been only a group for about a year since the producer, Chris Thomas, moved from Newquay, and got a group together of sceptics, and believers to do a ghost DVD.

The team have many members, which include, Rob Lester, Phil Pocknee, Seki Dave, George Hallows, Lee Summers, Sam Richardson, and Chris Thomas.

"We do our own Experiments, including, séances, and table topping, to try and find if ghosts exist," says Chris Thomas.

The team spend 24 hours in each haunted location with each member playing their part.

Chris carries on, "The main guy that does the single visuals is Phil Pocknee, who goes into the scariest places on his own, so he's a brilliant person to have on the team."

The team have been to many places, and have found some things which are unexplainable, but still haven't got the perfect evidence yet to find out if there is something beyond what we physically see...

...but they're still trying.

What Ghost research needs is less not more. Take Kent for instance. We already have two groups there, and a number of nationwide teams going there. Do we REALLY need another one? Why not join an existing group? Do we really need another plethora of orb chasers?

By the way, in a post on this forum, my title was questioned by putting quotes around "Dr.". Don't do this. I didn't spent 6 years at University to be belitttled by people.

It's not a monopoly, though, is it? And say they do come up with some hard-core evidence - surely that would be a good thing? Unless you're saying that evidence can only be accepted if it's made by a member of one of the established groups: now that smacks of the sort of scientific dogma Forteanism is mainly against.

As for belittling - well, respect for other posters is a two-way street.

Good luck to everyone :).

Blimey.

I thought it was made clear that this was far from being a professional site by experienced ghost hunters. It's a bit of fun by some enthusiastic young people. We don't even know whether the spelling mistakes are their own or the website developer's although I guess they should still get it fixed.

I do remember the same 'professional vs amateur' argument from archaeology. I can never see why the two types can't just get on with it. The world is big enough for both and useful info comes from both sources. More useful info will come from the experienced researchers because they have learnt to avoid the pitfalls, I expect. Believe are just starting out and they are learning in public because they are more media aware than I was at their age.

I'd not heard of the other organisations who feel so cruelly slighted though. I shall check them out. Which I wouldn't have if I hadn't posted the link. :)

That's an interesting analogy. I suppose that a team of amateur archaeologists could inadvertently destroy the artefacts they were trying to dig up, but what's the worst that a group of amateur ghost hunters could do?
The ghosts will still be there for the other groups to go and investigate. I guess the only problem would be if the owners of haunted properties get fed up with people coming round to look for phantoms.

I have just checked out paul lee's website. the only thing that struck me about the site and his replies in this thread is that he reminds me of that simpsons character ' comic book store ' guy.

cbg.jpg

" why dont you kids leave the ghost hunting to the professionals "

The team likes pubs, don't they?

Well damn me, I lived in Lincoln for a year whilst doing my PGCE at the notorious Bishop Grot....wandered its streets in the dark many a time and never saw/felt a thing.

But if anyone reported a mysterious howling progressing through the streets one night back in 1993, that was me - got off the train and cried my eyes out all the way through the town centre, up the hill next to the museum and along the top to my digs. I had a virus, I wasn't a happy bunny....

mothman1 said:
I have just checked out paul lee's website. the only thing that struck me about the site and his replies in this thread is that he reminds me of that simpsons character ' comic book store ' guy.

As you are new I'd like to point out that we don't go in for ad hominem arguements here.

It was only meant as a light hearted jibe, nothing more 8)

Back