• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Today at work things went wrong. I was thus able to spend nearly an hour happily exchanging spooky stories with a colleague from another area.

Dave told me about a building he lived in some years ago. It was divided into two flats with an attic.
He and his fiancee took the lower flat. The upper one was better so he asked the landlord if he could rent it should the opportunity arise.

This was agreed and the tenant later moved out. After he left, Dave and fiancee were in bed one night when they both heard a crash from upstairs. It sounded like, he said, someone standing on furniture or a windowsill and jumping off onto the bare floorboards.
Next morning Dave borrowed the key and went in, expecting to see something like a wardrobe lying on its side. However, the flat was completely empty.

The flat was nice enough to take on anyway so they soon moved in.

From the first day there were minor incidents, for example when Dave would walk in and put his keys down on a table only to see them leap across the room and onto the floor. This happened repeatedly.

Small items would go missing. A glass on a shelf shattered. There's more which I'll ask him about when I see him again.

The best/scariest incident, he feels, was when he and Fiancee were in bed (again!) and both heard a scraping noise coming from the front door area.

As the rooms were all on one level they could see the door with their large heavy-based floorstanding lamp beside it.

The scraping sound was coming from the lamp swaying against the wall. It eventually tipped over and fell across the front door. Dave mentioned that this would block the door opening from outside even if it had been left unlocked.

Eventually the couple moved on. A male relation, who knew about the activity but didn't quite believe it, asked if they'd put in a good word for him with the landlord. They did and Relation took the flat.

Relation was immediately beset with the same sort of mild supernatural harassment. He didn't mind, it was a nice flat. :)

Dave also told me about a customer he'd met who'd insisted on giving him a message. This customer said she was a well-established medium which Dave could believe as she was dressed in an expensive boho style.

This message went something like:
A man is always with you. He is older and tall, and stands very uprightly, and he is laughing because you don't have your sea-legs like he does!
There was a little more description of the man's physical appearance.

Dave was astounded because this sounded like his late grandfather. Granddad had been a sailor and the 'sea-legs' comment was spot-on for the job Dave does.

Good, eh!
Loved it.

Also chimes with my experience of late night drinks with guests in the hotels and inns I have worked in and when the conversation would turn to ghosts (invariably a resident spook in those places). Whether my fellow drinkers were skeptics or believers it seemed maybe 50% had a story to tell of something paranormal that had happened to them, someone close or a work colleague etc. I'm sure there are a few apocryphal tales and urban legends in amongst them but many it seemed were not and it left me with sense that there is huge amount of low-level paranormal activity experienced by people in their everyday lives and which remains with families and friendship circles.

it left me with sense that there is huge amount of low-level paranormal activity experienced by people in their everyday lives and which remains with families and friendship circles.
I’ve often had the same experience, not even at lock-in’s necessarily, but just talking to people in pubs or at lunch, or over a cup of tea, etc, whenever people are more relaxed and don’t really have to rush to go anywhere.
But I do think every pub I’ve used as a local has had it’s resident spook, even the pretty-awful-now-closed-down 1970’s local that I used in the 80’s and 90’s had one (all of us knew the ‘ghost’ or had done, as he was a regular and a long-distance lorry driver. Many people said they’d seen him out of the corner of their eyes in the place he had always sat when alive, and also in the gents loo).

I completely agree that there seems to be a lot of ‘low-level paranormal activity‘ that people don’t really talk about unless they get into that relaxed mood and either think they won’t be laughed at or don’t care (a few drinks often helps). It’s not dramatic ‘Most Haunted’ stuff (most of the time), but it is always interesting.

It looks like the Royal Victoria has recently re-opened but no longer offers accommodation.
Perhaps that will follow. Fingers crossed.
They might even be persuaded to consider ghost hunts, who knows?

Next time Techy and I're along there we'll pop in and find out what's what.
Expect a full report. :wink2:

If it does offer accommodation in the very near future and the landlords are amenable to questions, this could go in UK Haunted Hospitality volume 2!
I'll be looking into it! :nods:

Tomorrow my manager will be around so I'll see if I can winkle out any more details such as the exact room they stayed in.
You never know, he might remember.
Or even be induced to produce a receipt. I keep things like that, perhaps he does.

Former Director​

Location: Chertsey (Surrey) - Private organisation in northern Chertsey (no longer present)
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Circa 2012
Further Comments: Following the death of a director notorious for working until 20:00h, office workers would hear his office door slam closed on the top floor, the lift ascend before descending to the ground floor, and the front door finally rattling.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

Vanishing Lady​

Type: Unknown Ghost Type
Date / Time: January 2024
Further Comments: Observing the silhouette of a woman walking down the street, a witness watched as the figure promptly disappeared after passing under a streetlamp. Realising there was nowhere the figure could have gone, the perplexed witness searched the area without success.

Any ideas what the might have been?

Three Tolls​

Type: Other
Date / Time: 02 March 2024, 23:58h
Further Comments: Driving late home from King's Lynn, a witness heard the distinctive sound of a huge bell toll three times. Not being able to see anything nearby that would be chiming so late, the witness interpreted the tolls as a warning and took additional care driving home

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php.

Crossing Figure​

Date / Time: January 2012, around 18:00h
Further Comments: A driver and their passenger observed a figure step out from behind hedgerow and cross the road ahead. The witnesses could see oncoming car headlights through the figure which shimmered as it moved.

Tis is quite some haunting:

Grey Head​

Location: Chalfont St Giles (Buckinghamshire) - Orchard outside Misbourne House, London Road
Date / Time: October 1947, and circa 1960
Further Comments: A teenage witness felt a tingling on his back moments before spotting a grey head, with no body, floating nearby. The head had the face of an old man with a small, pointed beard. Other witnesses reported the same entity, almost always in the same place. A ghostly nun carrying a set of keys also haunted the area. Later, possibly circa 1960, building work at a nearby summerhouse became disrupted by something throwing bricks and other objects around the site.

George​

Location: Denholme (Yorkshire) - Private home formerly St Paul's Church
Date / Time: Circa 2020
Further Comments: Owner Debs Kennedy-Tallis witnessed a ghostly figure, nicknamed George, enter the bell tower. During renovation, two workers refused to lay flooring near the tower due to a presence.

Here she is:

A COUPLE who have converted a rundown 19th-century gothic church into their dream home have achieved another landmark – and welcomed their first bed and breakfast guests.

Their mammoth restoration project featured on the BBC One programme, Homes Under the Hammer.

https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/23257455.denholme-couples-dream-realises-another-milestone/

I was contacted by a chap called Tom Barrow earlier today who's asking to interview me about the time I lived in a haunted building with it's own back story in Oakham, Leicester.

I've agreed to chat with him on Wednesday night and hooked him up with my oldest friend (since we were 7 so 43 years) because my friend owned the building and was also my boss in '97 so he's got his own anecdotes about the place.

Here's his site/channel with other peoples anecdotes from other places.

https://sites.libsyn.com/510723?fbc...hon0afypi31Aefe_EEY1Px4FFCiF54S3hmW1d1XEeEtI0

I was contacted by a chap called Tom Barrow earlier today who's asking to interview me about the time I lived in a haunted building with it's own back story in Oakham, Leicester.

I've agreed to chat with him on Wednesday night and hooked him up with my oldest friend (since we were 7 so 43 years) because my friend owned the building and was also my boss in '97 so he's got his own anecdotes about the place.

Here's his site/channel with other peoples anecdotes from other places.

https://sites.libsyn.com/510723?fbc...hon0afypi31Aefe_EEY1Px4FFCiF54S3hmW1d1XEeEtI0
Looks like a winner, thanks for the mention. I plan on diving right in, can't wait to hear your interview. Will you let us know when it's posted?

Looks like a winner, thanks for the mention. I plan on diving right in, can't wait to hear your interview. Will you let us know when it's posted?
Will do matey. I was tempted to ask him to direct me to what I wrote that he found but I don't need to because my account doesn't change. This is the communications so far:

'Hey **** - my name’s Tom Barrow and I’m the presenter and producer of a podcast series called “Inspectre Paranormal” - https://sites.libsyn.com/510723I’ve read your facebook posts with interest about your experiences in Oakham.Would you be interested in potentially having your experiences recorded for the next series of the podcast?Let me know your thoughts.Cheers Tom'

'Sounds good Tom although not today. You might also want to contact someone going by the same of **** who owned the building and business back in '97 and has similar accounts of hauntings when we were there. I'll send you a link to his facebook profile.'

'Awesome thanks **** - if its ok with you could we maybe arrange a quick phone call one night this week or the weekend maybe- I’m free Wed or Thurs evening or if not anytime Sunday- let me know when’s convenient with you'

'Can do Tom. Will this be a recorded call?. I haven't got a problem with that by the way'

'Awesome - shall we say 8pm?'

'OK mate. You've got me wondering about the place again now. It was a flour mill originally I was told and **** had hired an old fella who's name was either Albert or Alfred in the '97 chip shop who refused to go into the upstairs toilet because he's seen something in their when he was young working in there when it was a mill. It didn't become an eatery until the 60's when the wife killed herself off premises according to locals. Anna, my then local girlfriend researched that part after a creepy night there.'

'I read your post and shared it to another friend - he was gobsmacked. It was honestly really scary. Sounds like there's so much history to the place. Definitely Looking forward to the chat'

'None of us felt it was anything scary. We felt it was a woman watching over us (literally .. we'd turn round to talk to each other but none of us were there .. and that we were doing a good job. That was before we learned about the woman who'd gassed herself. When we finished the carpentry of building the bar, we left a shot of Jack Daniels on the bar and out loud thanked her for being there to watch over us. We sometimes heard her walking near us but it was never a scary feeling.'

So it should be sometime after 8pm on Wednesday hopefully Aydee.

Last edited:
Will do matey. I was tempted to ask him to direct me to what I wrote that he found but I don't need to because my account doesn't change. This is the communications so far:

'Hey **** - my name’s Tom Barrow and I’m the presenter and producer of a podcast series called “Inspectre Paranormal” - https://sites.libsyn.com/510723I’ve read your facebook posts with interest about your experiences in Oakham.Would you be interested in potentially having your experiences recorded for the next series of the podcast?Let me know your thoughts.Cheers Tom'

'Sounds good Tom although not today. You might also want to contact someone going by the same of **** who owned the building and business back in '97 and has similar accounts of hauntings when we were there. I'll send you a link to his facebook profile.'

'Awesome thanks **** - if its ok with you could we maybe arrange a quick phone call one night this week or the weekend maybe- I’m free Wed or Thurs evening or if not anytime Sunday- let me know when’s convenient with you'

'Can do Tom. Will this be a recorded call?. I haven't got a problem with that by the way'

'Awesome - shall we say 8pm?'

'OK mate. You've got me wondering about the place again now. It was a flour mill originally I was told and **** had hired an old fella who's name was either Albert or Alfred in the '97 chip shop who refused to go into the upstairs toilet because he's seen something in their when he was young working in there when it was a mill. It didn't become an eatery until the 60's when the wife killed herself off premises according to locals. Anna, my then local girlfriend researched that part after a creepy night there.'

'I read your post and shared it to another friend - he was gobsmacked. It was honestly really scary. Sounds like there's so much history to the place. Definitely Looking forward to the chat'

'None of us felt it was anything scary. We felt it was a woman watching over us (literally .. we'd turn round to talk to each other but none of us were there .. and that we were doing a good job. That was before we learned about the woman who'd gassed herself. When we finished the carpentry of building the bar, we left a shot of Jack Daniels on the bar and out loud thanked her for being there to watch over us. We sometimes heard her walking near us but it was never a scary feeling.'

So it should be sometime after 8pm on Wednesday hopefully Aydee.
If you're Chris and your boss Dougie, then the episode is up!

https://sites.libsyn.com/510723/s1-episode-6-gallows-court
https://sites.libsyn.com/510723/s1-episode-7-the-hangman

That's not me, no, but thanks anyway. The podcast guy did phone me at 8pm last night but that wasn't recorded. He wanted to do a pre interview chat which is a new one but I didn't mind. The reason he gave was that in his opinion, too many interviews of this type don't get to know the person behind the report so he always does these as a two part process. Perhaps he's trying to weed out unbalanced people, I don't know?. Either way, we ended up chatting for an hour and a quarter, having a few chuckles, he wanted to know about my overall stance on paranormal 'stuff', my background (he didn't ask any dodgy security risk type questions). He's asked to do the actual interview sometime between the start and middle of May. I told him what I'm going to talk about in case he wants a pre idea of how he might want to structure and edit it.

I've name dropped our own Dr Paul Lee, Gordon Rutter and Alan Murdie as potential future interesting people he could contact. He's aware of Fortean Times magazine.

Back