• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
According to Wiki Benz was granted patent for his engine in 1879. but it was a few years before they were being put into production. Besides which early cars would have been recognisable as they were essentially self propelled open carriages, and the driver would be clearly visible. Red tail lights were also not uniform until much later.

If this story were true, I'd say it referred to cars from a much later period.

My impression was that a quarter of a century passed before autos became large enough/fast enough/with bright enough headlights to make the witness realize that was what he saw.

The bibliography of Folklore of Canada mentions that Mary L. Fraser published a book, Folklore of Nova Scotia in 1931, which was reprinted in 1975. Perhaps more details appear there -- if anyone can find a copy. She may have considered the car/monster story nothing more than an amusing tall tale -- though I was glad she mentioned getting it from the witness's sister. That's better than from a roommate's cousin's dentist or whatever. :)

Great stories! :D

Regarding road ghosts which may be timeslips, I can think of two stories I know I've read on this very messageboard- although of course I can't find them at the moment. :(

The first was a vague sort of story about a couple on holiday where the man suddenly found himself standing by a roadway or a set of tracks while a strange bus-like vehicle passed him. It may have been hovering or levitating, and was filled with oddly-dressed but clearly human passengers who seemed to wear increasingly horrified expressions on their faces as it drew closer, the intimation being that these were people from the future who were seeing the man as a ghost.

The second was a much more detailed story about two men on a roadway who quite suddenly came upon a woman driving a very old model of car, who also looked extremely horrified when they caught sight of her. The two men assumed this was simply a normal woman in an unusual car who needed help, but when they tried to get her to pull off the road in a layby, her car vanished. The men were later convinced they were witness to a timeslip. What makes this relevant to this discussion (sort of?) is that the woman was clearly aware of the two men on the roadway, and so would presumably have spent the rest of her life relating an odd story about the ghosts/aliens/something else paranormal she encountered while driving.

Back on topic, is this to be an 'all those stories I've heard from random folk' type thread in which anyone can relate their secondhand tales? Thought I'd ask, since I certainly don't want to go breaking a rule or stealing anyone's thunder!

No, stick whatever you like on here. Usually when someone can only remember half a story another poster will come up with the rest, and a link to it, and a lot more detail. :D

I've been looking for those stories on here off and on for the past few days, with no luck yet. I'll keep at it, but in the meanwhile, I found a site which details a few road ghost/timeslip cases that might be of interest: http://uforeview.tripod.com/timeslips.html (Why this should be on what sounds like a UFO site I don't know, but it was all I could find that wasn't solely about the Versailles Incident or the Dieppe Raid.)

Regarding the actual topic of the thread, however, I thought I ought to contribute a secondhand story of my own. Let me make it clear that this did not happen to me personally: it's a story related to me by someone who claimed it happened to them. I wasn't present for the incidents, I just heard the tales much later on.

(I've got a lot of stories like this, since the topic interests me and I've been known to simply ask people "Ever seen anything weird?" to start a conversation. Works out pretty well sometimes if you don't mind the occasional ranting loon. :lol: )

Onward to the weird: I used to know a girl whose mother was adamant that "a banshee" lived in their upstairs sitting room. Why she called it this is a bit mysterious, since it certainly didn't foretell deaths, and the family had no connection to Ireland or Irish folklore. It didn't even scream or cry but instead made a sort of low-pitched stuttery noise that's impossible to describe in writing, but several members of the family imitated it for me in person: they all made this sound like holding your breath and then making a "hmm, hmm" sound through your nose like you're trying to clear your throat without being too loud. It was actually the least scary-sounding noise imaginable, and you'd think they were just winding you up, except that it all clearly upset them and they had to really be coaxed into discussing it. They heard it mostly in the afternoons, and always coming from the sitting room.

They had all heard this thing for years apparently, and in fact no one went into that sitting room if they could help it: I went in once and sat for about a quarter of an hour, after more or less begging for the chance to "see if I feel spooked too", after hearing these stories. Could be nothing more than overactive imagination and being primed with weird tales, but it did seem to have what you'd have to call "an oppressive atmosphere": it was a dark, stuffy, little room with too much old, oversized furniture crammed into it, and the windows at the back of it had that sort of unfortunate placement that makes you feel more like being watched than doing the watching when you looked out of them. I didn't see or hear anything odd, though.

The story came out in bits and pieces over the time I knew the family, and while they all claimed to have experienced strange things, if you could get the mother talking about it, she'd eventually get to the time she saw it- the banshee, that is. One afternoon she was passing the door to the sitting room when she happened to look in- she admitted that she glanced in in a fearful way, since she'd already formed a bad impression of the room- and saw a human figure sat on the sofa in there staring back at her. She said she only saw it for a second before she ran, but described it as human-shaped and wearing some kind of yellowish robe or blanket. She said it did have a face, but couldn't really describe it: "old and ugly" was all she'd say, which while descriptive, doesn't actually tell you much. She also got the impression that it was reacting to her looking in and was about to move towards her when she screamed and ran back down the stairs in a state of near-hysteria. The children remembered very well when this happened, since their father spent hours trying to calm their mother down, and they were made to stay outside for the majority of the day. The door was supposed to be shut at all times after that, but I saw it open more often than not when I was there- which they said "the banshee" did on its own, pushing the door open so you'd hear it move even from downstairs, and I admit that I did more than once hear a door creak and swing from upstairs, and I did hear a sort of rustling noise like someone walking quietly. But whether it had anything to do with their ghost- if that's what it was- I have no idea, since there were other people in the house at the times I heard this and it could very well have been them just going about their business.

All very standard haunting so far, with only minor details standing out. Such as, it liked spoons: they often had spoons- and only spoons, never other silverware- go missing, sometimes right off the table when their backs were turned, they said. Once they found two spoons lying in a patch of dirt by the side of the garage, but usually the spoons just vanished. They blamed the banshee.

There were other incidents, all sort of disjointed and vague, in the way of a lot of ghost stories. That noise, of course, the spoons, and then occasional footsteps, or other small items being lost, that kind of thing. I seem to remember something about a piano bench that moved or something, but I can't bring it to mind. It seemed to actually focus more on the parents than the children, which I suppose is unusual in these sorts of stories. The one episode that really put the wind up me is when the father said that one day, while in the kitchen, he had heard what sounded like his wife calling him from- you guessed it- the sitting room, and knew very well that his wife would never have been in that room on her own, let alone for the several minutes the sound seemed to be coming from up there. He said it sounded just like her voice, with nothing unusual or suspicious about it save the apparent source and his knowledge that she was actually in the garage at the time. (She did not hear the voice.) He said he spent those minutes sort of sweating it out, being really disturbed by this counterfeit of his wife's voice, and then sort of doubting himself and thinking maybe it really was her and he ought to go check. Then it stopped just as sudenly as it started. It scared me because the idea of something uncanny imitating a loved one's voice for unknown reasons that seem to imply a kind of luring is really not anything I want to contemplate on a dark night. It only happened the once, and no harm done, but still- disturbing.

And that's all I know, really. I knew the family for a few years, and during all that time, except for right after hearing the story for the first time, I never doubted that they experienced something which upset them. Whether it was supernatural or not, I can make no claims, but they were obviously afraid while discussing it. Eventually I moved, we lost touch, and while I've even passed the house only a year or so ago, I don't know if they live there anymore. I've always wondered what was really in that house, and I still wonder often, when I'm just passing through random residential streets, how many completely mundane-looking houses are actually harboring some strange story like that.

that is a really disturbing story. The best horror tales are always of some menace only glimpsed or half heard. I wonder if the 'thing' liked spoons because they act like mirrors? Shudder........ very credible

Sometimes I'll collect stories over the years and some detail will suddenly "click" into place. AtomicBadger's story made me realize that I've read several accounts over the years that included a voice that imitated someone the witness knew -- yet who could not have possibly been there. Further, that seemed intent in summoning the witness to it -- whatever "it" was.

The only one I could find on the spur of the moment in my mountain of books (and it doesn't help that I've shifted them all around and don't know where anything is) is in FT's "bookazine" IT HAPPENED TO ME Volume 2. Basically, a young man named Tim Marczenko of Ontario, Canada, was shooting basketball hoops one summer evening in 2001 when his father emerged from the house walking their golden retriever. Tim watched his father walk the dog down the road into the distance . . . then a "digital beeping sound" came from the woods by their house in the opposite direction from where the father went.

A voice called from the trees, "Tim! Come here for a second, I've found something," and Tim assumed it was his father, and that he'd found a beeper or cell phone. Yet the voice was very evasive when he asked what was going on, just saying things like, "Just come here, hurry up, I found something. Follow my voice," and "Tim come into the woods, I've got to show you something."

The beeping and the voice's demands continued, and Tim wandered over to the trees -- only to decide not to go in. Then, of course, the noises stopped and Dad came back up the road with the dog, And, of course, he hadn't found any beeping thing or in fact gone into the woods.

"What would have happened to me if I had followed the voice into the forest?" Tim ends. What, indeed? :shock: I'm going to watch for this motif as I review all my fortean literature.

When my (then) teenage son was going through some very tough times that he was not sharing with me, I heard him calling me urgently, MUM! MUM! or Hello? Hello? either apparently from another room or from the garden. He was either not there at all, or had not called out. Some part of him was surely asking for help?

We have threads on both 'hearing one's name called' and the general subject of mysterious voices.

I've contributed to them. One night, walking my dog, I heard what sounded like a small baby crying from the other side of a fence, on the railway track. I spent some time trying to track the sound down as it seemed to move every time I got close to it. Strangely, my then young and excitable dog didn't even prick his ears up once!

yes, escargot, (I used to be Augusta - we have met before!) I think I've read that - it is an interesting subject. Of course, folks will point out that auditory 'hallucinations' are a symptom of mental illness!

I was once sleeping off a hectic student nurse party in a strangers house when I heard, in the darkness of the bedroom, the sound of a Fiend from Hell (straight out of the Exorcist). It turned out to be my host's cat attempting to fetch up a fur ball..........

Those sound like interesting threads, escargot1, thanks! *eventually off to search and browse*

Odd that there should be a lot of stories about, er... I don't know that you could call them ghosts, really, or any other easy paranormal label, but for want of anything more precise I'll just say "ghosts" and comment that it's odd how many of them seem to imitate loved ones. I don't just mean voices- I've read a lot of stories of hauntings where it's implied that the ghost is physically imitating or shapeshifting or causing a witness to misperceive their appearance as a loved one's. I remember reading in one of those 'My House Is Haunted!' chapbook-style things once about a woman and her two daughters in New York whose ghost often did that. They'd swear they saw one or the other of the family- who never spoke during this, just stared at them before moving off- only to learn later that that family member had been out all day and so couldn't have been seen- unless the ghost was up to some kind of shenanigans. (I believe the book was called 'Gravesend', but I can't remember now- I've read too many of these things over the years!)

Likewise, there's a story on this messageboard somewhere in which a family is driving back from a party I believe, that the father had already left from, and they were to catch up with him down the road once they got into the car. Well, they pulled up alongside him just where they thought he'd be, only.... it wasn't him. Looked like him, talked like, right place and time, but everyone in that car was absolutely certain that this was not their loved one. That something else that could almost-but-not-quite-perfectly counterfeit people was interacting with them instead, and their real father was nowhere to be found. It was an absolutely bizarre and chilling story, and I wish I could find it, if only to figure out how- or if- it all got resolved.

(Only a purely folkloric note, there's strong injunctions against answering any stranger who calls your name- it's likely to be an evil spirit or bad fairy in disguise. And the idea which is closely linked to not only the 'fake father' story above, but I suspect, to things like MIBs and Bogus Social Workers, is that no devil or demon can perfectly imitate a human- there'll always be something off. They limp, or have some small deformity, or just plain feel off somehow. These ideas seem a lot older and more general, and it's fascinating to see them turn up again and again even in modern cases of weird.)

But Hypermetropia, what on earth made you say that about spoons and mirrors? It's brilliant, and the moment you said it, I felt like you must be right, there must be some mirror connection there. Based on descriptions of its appearance- or what it chose its appearance to be in that moment, maybe- doesn't quite seem mirrors would be doing this thing any favors. :lol: And yet, I'm sure you're onto something here. Just wish I could work out the why of it. Practising its imitations, maybe?

I always wondered if maybe we all had things the wrong way round- maybe "the banshee" only meant to be friendly, but not being human, and not having any frame of reference for how to interact with humans, it just tried to imitate random things it didn't understand, and came off looking creepy and sinister as opposed to merely inept.

And then I wonder if that's exactly what it wants you to think. :shock:

Interesting tales!

Here's a tale told to me years ago, by a family friend called Barbara:

Barbara was at the time living in a house facing onto a fairly busy road, with one other house next door.

Barbara and her husband Ken (yeah, I know - Barbie and Ken) returned from holiday one day to find the next door neighbour in a bit of a state.

Apparently, this neighbour told them of the strange happenings in the house. For a while they had been experiencing cold spots in the house and on a few occasions, they had seen strange glowing lights near some of the power sockets.
What really got them agitated however, was the strange case of the garden seat.
One morning, they woke up to find that a heavy cast iron garden seat had somehow been moved from the back garden and it was wedged between the side of the car and the house.
They really couldn't figure out how it had been moved, because there is no alleyway through from the front driveway to the back garden. Also, the garden seat was extremely heavy. In addition to this, it seemed as if the car had been moved closer to the house to wedge the seat in place.
The only conclusion they could come to was that the garden seat and the car had been mysteriously levitated into place. :shock:

But Hypermetropia, what on earth made you say that about spoons and mirrors?

I have a habit, while waiting for the kettle to boil for tea, of pulling faces at myself in the teaspoon (I see men in white coats approaching!)

As for the story about the bench and car being moved....... I worked for a gentleman who had bought a house with a 17th Century barn just so he could house his valuable collection of vintage cars. One morning he went into the barn to find three of the five had been moved, just a few feet, randomly. He was so precise in his ways, and had parked them to be viewed to best advantage, he was dumbstruck.

Just a thought but could it have been thieves moving them to get better 360 degree photos for the steal to order market, which is a real problem in this area.

oldrover said:
Just a thought but could it have been thieves moving them to get better 360 degree photos for the steal to order market, which is a real problem in this area.

Never thought of that! He was absolutely paranoid about theft, cameras everywhere. Seriously - can you move locked cars with the hand brakes on? Blonde question! One of the cars was an imported American mobster's pale green beauty, deserved to be haunted!

can you move locked cars with the hand brakes on? Blonde question!
No it's a fair point, but thieves can open any cars, as for old ones they're absurdly easy to open. I don't steal them but I have locked myself out a few times.

I really wish there was a story about the mobster's car.

My parents were so anal-retentive, everything in their house had to be placed perfectly -- furniture, rugs, ceramic animals, flowerpots. Furniture wasn't really for sitting on, and heaven help you if you actually USED the perfect little soaps or towels in the bathrooms! I just wanted to move something -- maybe an inch a day -- the candy bowl on the coffee table, or the ceramic squirrel on the big TV -- just to see if they'd ever notice. Always think of that when I read "stuff moved mysteriously" stories (though I certainly couldn't move cars).

I've heard my name being called -- loudly -- during hypnogogic sleep (going into sleep, but not entirely asleep). It really startles you awake! But I've had many hypnogogic half-dreams, so I never actually thought someone or something was calling me.

I've always been fascinated by the concept of non-humans/ ultraterrestrials/ human mimics sharing this earth with us, maybe exploiting us, or interacting with us yet never quite understanding us (and vice-versa). A human ghost might be disoriented for a while after death, but why make itself look like the King in Yellow and steal spoons?

I find the idea of a non-human and perhaps incomprehesible being lurking in the woods across the street -- or even in a room in your house! -- far more disturbing than a human ghost.

Hypermetropia said:
Seriously - can you move locked cars with the hand brakes on?

You can actually. You bounce the car on its suspension and at the height of the bounce you can push the car sideways. Takes at least two people and is hard work, but possible.

I remember a minor timeslip story now, there used to be a small bakery near the top of the High Street in Glastonbury and an acquaintance's mother worked there, very normal local middle-aged woman. One day she looked out of the shop doorway and the High Street was medieval (or at least noticeably in the past, maybe Tudor times), she saw people and everything, old buildings etc.

Weird noises- the flat I live in now has a gas fire in living room and I often hear sounds reflected from outside behind it- probably from birds, such as scratching noises and odd cooing. If you were the nervous type it would be easy to think it was supernatural.

oldrover said:
can you move locked cars with the hand brakes on? Blonde question!
No it's a fair point, but thieves can open any cars, as for old ones they're absurdly easy to open. I don't steal them but I have locked myself out a few times.

I really wish there was a story about the mobster's car.

Fascinating car, I am not the least interested in cars, being a laydeee, but this one had a 'presence'. The nearest I can find to the styling is a '32 Packard. Art Deco pale green, pale cream suede roof. Glorious!

The owner said not only the three cars moved, but in his adjacent 17th Century home, (and whilst he and his wife were in the next room), an office chair on wheels shot about 12ft sideways across his office with great speed/force and crashed against the wall. (wooden floors, they could hear it).

davidplankton said:
Hypermetropia said:
Seriously - can you move locked cars with the hand brakes on?

You can actually. You bounce the car on its suspension and at the height of the bounce you can push the car sideways. Takes at least two people and is hard work, but possible.

I've seen this done. When I was blocked in on a car park by someone parking illegally behind me a group of blokes bounced the back end of the offending car up onto a high pavement beside it.

I've seen it done too, to a friend's Fiat 500. Some idiots bounced it between 2 trees, so that he didn't have enough space to manoeuvre out.
(OK, so I was one of the idiots)

Back to the missing spoons, I used to work somewhere that had the same problem. It stopped when we moved to plastic spoons.

You can't cook up a fix of Heroin on a plastic spoon.
(Thinking about it, maybe there was a Smack history in the house in the story here? Someone upstairs, sweating it out, perhaps they croaked? Perhaps not the kind of thing you broadcast in the past - not like today where people will proudly tell you they are off to Rehab. All the ingredients for an "atmosphere" in an old house? )

Actually a single person (I mean someone on their own, not someone without a lover...but I digress) can do it. I regularly used to bounce my brothers Fiesta mkII out of my parents driveway. I tried my Dads Sierra once too but that was just to heavy for me on my own...so I wrapped that round a lamp post instead.

That is odd.

I tried my Dads Sierra once too but that was just to heavy for me on my own

Speaking of fathers and their Sierras. Once my father was driving one of those up a really steep hill when it broke down blocking the road. I got out went round the back to push. It was only after he let the handbrake off either of us spotted the flaw in the plan.

Nothing exciting really just 'ooh yeah, of course' went through my head whilst screaming 'put the f-king brakes on, please!'. Which he did.

Nothing terribly concrete, but the house I grew up in (built in the 1860's) could get a bit peculiar.
It was severely burned back in the 1940's which may have had an effect, but as a child I remember on multiple occasions having to sit on the doorstep until other people got home because the atmosphere in the house just got too intense to stand. I just though it was me being weird, but I mentioned this to my mother years later and she said exactly the same thing happened to her too.

When I was 16 we moved to an identical house two doors away and the atmosphere is totally different, there is nothing weird in this house at all.

The old house had a spring running under it; there was a wine cellar under the house and there was a little well in the corner, so I suppose that might be the key to everything?

Back