• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
staticgirl said:
(It will descend into a fight at some point. That message board always does apart from the Cat Thread.)
It's tempting to join, just to start a cat fight! :twisted:

That video is nonsense.
The woman walking down the path is just a woman walking down the path, simple as that.
The middle video had its own thread here a while ago.
The final one is an insect on the lens.

As for the pictures, most of them seem to be old school double exposure, especially the one with the baby on the grave.
And I do wonder if with some of them, like that picture, the story has be subject to chinese whispers over the years.

Here's me ghost story.
They called him little Walter, because he was little and his name was Walter, the storeman in a warehouse that used to be a Methodist church.
One dark winters night, for a loff, the lads took him upstairs to where the pulpit would have been,tied him to the railings and ran off, turning off all the lights.
When they went to release him the poor lad was in hysterics, so much so they sent him home, he left not long after which meant the company required a new storeman.
Enter an idiot, me, and I heard the story of little Walter later on.
Before that I noticed that there was something creepy about that upstairs area, I saw and heard nothing, and the only thing I can tell you is that I really didn't like going up there, I just felt uneasy.
They told me the stories, footsteps heard in the warehouse by someone working late, nobody there of course, a driver who said he was a medium who claimed he saw the ghost of an elderly woman and a little girl, again I saw and heard nothing, apart from that odd feeling in the upstairs area.
Eventually we moved to new premises, and it became a tyre depot, a woman who worked for us had a nephew working at the tyre depot, and got some new tyres at a discount.
She asked if he had seen the ghost yet, he said that not long before one of the lads had come running out of the stores claiming he had seen a woman.
Oddly the building next door, which was the Anchor pub, became a dance studio and there were reports of poltergiest type activity.
I found out later from Nick at the W.M.G.C. that workmen digging outside the old church had found the skeleton of a child, although there were no further details.

Talking of other people's ghosts, I am reminded of a schoolfriend who lived in a big Victorian villa close to our school; on cold mornings, dropped off way too early by the service bus, another friend and I would wander down to sit in her living room whilst she got ready for school. One morning she casually mentioned that her younger sister, who had been the only one at home, had gone out of the living room and glanced up the stairs to see a woman who looked just like their mother but "all in white". I never did leave that room without a hopeful glance upwards after that...

I just PM'd this to someone asking about "Ghost Powers", but I may as well put it here:

I was maybe 8 years old when this happened. I was living in West Allis, WI.

I went to bed as usual and the next thing I knew, I was standing, facing West, with my back to my closet door (as an aside, I never consciously turned my back to the closet door at night...monsters and such).

In front of me, there was this "thing", floating there. It was whiteish and semi-translucent. It wasn't exactly human-shaped. It was a white "figure" with large, deep, black holes for the eyes, a larger black hole for the mouth, and no nose/nose-hole.

It just floated there in front of me, wavering. I could see my guinea pig through the "ghost" and he was really agitated. When he turned and looked at me (or at the ghost; it was between myself and Blackie's cage), he froze solid and stayed that way for the duration.

This whole thing took maybe 20-30 seconds. The next thing I knew, I was sitting upright in bed, fully awake.

Of particular note is that my dreams don't usually encompass normal settings. There is always a major change in a room or house which is noticeable and for all intents and purposes, this seemed to be my actual room.

Also, when I awoke, I didn't actually wake up. I was fully conscious from the moment the thing had "teleported" me in front of the closet, to the moment I was sitting up in bed.

I still remember asking my mom if ghosts could "teleport you" the very next morning.

I have read that animals are more sensitive to the presence of ghosts than people.
My house has a nice warm family feel ,and there is nothing remotely spooky about it.
One night though my mad yorkie who for some reason liked to lie down beneath the telly suddenly jerked his head up and then clearly watched something crossing the room, turning his head to follow it.
It was odd,because if anybody came to the door the mad bugger would go absolutely berserk, but whatever he was watching seemed to have a kind of hypnotic effect on him, I called his name a couple of times but he was oblivious.
Then he just stopped and flopped back down for a snooze.
I saw,heard and felt nothing,very peculiar.

i had the same experience when i was alone in my brothers house, his black lab started growling and her head turned from left to right as if she was walking somebody walk through the kitchen into the living room, sadly i sen and felt nothing strange.

Last November my best friend told me a ghost sighting told to him by his dad, reported to him be his son in law.

The son in law was driving home from work, it was dark and he says he is sure he seen a monk standing in a graveyard as he drove by.

Under questioning my friend said there are no statues or trees that could be mistaken for a monk, but i am unsure how reliable a fleeting glimpse at night should be regarded.

MercuryCrest:

Sorry I didn't thank you for your email about the teleporting ghost. I was nearly a ghost myself after two weeks of allergies and bronchitis!

Your post now makes me want to examine other aspects of ghosts, like their appearances: as doughy, near-shapeless things, or exact replicas of deceased humans, or rotting corpses -- and what point of decay do they decide to look like (if they have some choice)?

Three hundred and more years ago, ghosts normally appeared as something else -- spectral animals or floating flames, usually, but sometimes something odd, like floating bales of hay!

Right I have some time to post my one and only clear cut "ghost story".

It was actually a house that belonged to some friends of mine, a standard 2 bed victorian terrace. Of the couple, the woman was open minded, the man very, very sceptical.

My first impression when they moved in was the place had an odd atmosphere, nothing beyond that at first. It developed into a sense of being watched or followed, especially if I was moving from room to room on my own. And sometimes I could feel something moving around - I can't explain it beter than saying being aware something had walked in or left a room, or walked past a door, but nothing certain or clearly visible. I particular felt it at the top of the stairs.

After this had happened for the upteenth time, I mentioned it to my friend. I was surprised at her reaction, she said it was "him", that the place was haunted and "he" followed her a lot from room to room. I was surprised she hadn't told me about it, but she made it clear that her partner was so freaked about some of the things that had happened it was a sore subject and had been the source of some tension between them. She just had this sense that he followed her about the house to such an extent she felt the need to chat to him and form some kind of rapport. She said he didn't feel threatening but she got the feeling he was very protective of her and was sometimes quite overpowering and invasive though he never seemd to come in her bedroom. She had actually seen a figure she described as "misty" at the top of the stairs several times, and her partner had seen him once.

When her partner returned the conversation continued. He was really wound up and defensive about it, denying any of it could be real. But the best story they gave was the time he saw it. She went to go to the toilet in the night and when she opened the door she could see the outline of a figure at the top of the stairs. She wouldn't leave the room and woke her partner to come out with her. He got really pissed off saying there's nothing there etc, and stormed out and straight through the figure. He recounted it to me - he said he was so mad he just walked out, and he says he did see it but was walking too fast to register it or process what he'd seen until after he was on the other side. He said it was like walking through a wall of white fog.

It was quite a while ago and I can't remember all the detail they gave, but this gives context at least to my 3 experiences.

Firstly, I was having some work done and slept over in their front room. I was laying on the sofa trying to sleep when I heard the clicking of stereo and TV buttons behind me. Buttons clicking on and off, switches being fiddled with, crackling from the equipment and sounded like cd trays opening and closing. It went on and on, not just a few times, all f*cking night. I chose not to look. In the morning I recounted this and their glib reply was, yes, he's fascinated by the stereo and TV, does it all the time. Thanks for warning me, I reply. I also asked why they didn't keep it switched off at the wall. They said it made no difference, he'd switch it back on anyway :shock:

The second one, and this is the one that actually made me post here in the first place because I think it's quite an interesting apparition.
My friend had had to call out a doctor. I was with her. After the doc had gone I was just sitting with her on the sofa, and from where I was I had a clear line of vision through the door and into the entrance hall. My eye was drawn to movement and as I looked into the doorway I saw the most bizarre thing. The only way I can describe it was like a figure some distance away down a long passageway walking towards the doorway, though at the same time he was definately not walking through the wall. It was like it was all happening on the spot but this sense of great perspective, like he was approaching from a distance. He started small and as he walked he increased in size until he was normal height and then he stopped and just stood in the doorway looking in. His appaearance was an outline, not solid, but not misty either. A clear outline of a man, but translucent so I could see through him. He was about 5' 8", could have been anything from mid twenties to mid forties in age, his dress was bog standard working class 1920s-1950s fare, loose trousers quite high waisted, in colourless shirt sleeves, with either braces or a vest top over the shirt. He had short back and sides and light brown-mousy hair colour and was clean shaven. I felt a question clear as anything "Is she OK?" So overwhelming I had to answer "She's fine, it's OK" to reassure him. Then he faded away.

Third one, I was running up the staircase to retrieve something for my friend (can't even remember what) and he was stood at the top of the stairs. The same form, a clear outline but translucent so I could see through him. I stopped about halfway up and just stared back. I tried to move forward, in denial I suppose, just thinking I have to go up and get whatever I was getting, but I was frozen to the spot and couldn't move forward. Nothing threatening from him, I just couldn't bring myself to walk into/through him. After some moments I retreated downstairs and shamefacedly admitted I couldn't get up the stairs because he was stood at the top. My friends partner reacted in his usual belligerent way and charged up the stairs as if he was after a fight with him, storming around and shouting. He didn't see him, and neither could I any more.

Not long after, they moved and that was that.

As a footnote, towards the end of these events (and after I had seen him), a member of my extended family who, well, I would have to describe as a clairvoyant, though not publicly and never made a living/charged money for it. Just "gifted"? Why I take her seriously is because right through my lifetime she has come out with things over and over she had no independent means of knowing, things about my life and others in the family she knew nothing about etc etc. Anyway, she had been talking to my mother and said "What's this trouble (Eve) has been having with the man from the war?" My mother replied she had no idea what she was talking about (sceptic mother I had never told her any of this, and lived hundreds of miles from her at the time). She then said something along the lines of "there's a man around her who passed in WW2"

My views: I've had more than my share of weird experiences which some people might lump under 'hauntings' etc, but this is the only one I would describe as a ghost in any traditional sense of the word. I am sure this was a human being, someone who had died but not moved on. He was so human, so real, his presence and personality so clear. The way he was so interested and involved with the people in the house. Even a WW2 death would make sense - he was of fighting age and the chances are high it was traumatic and/or sudden and I was left with the impression he was still hanging out at his old home, somehow removed from a sense of time passing, because he didn't realise or couldn't accept he was dead.
I did do a check as best I could at records for the address at the local library (those quaint old pre google days) and there were 2 candidates of men living at the house of around the right age at the right time.

I did as a precaution ask for guides to come and try and help him. I also asked my relative to put a word in for him with the 'other side' as well. I still think of him sometimes and hope he's OK and moved on now.

Fascinating account, good thing the ghost seemed to be friendly and benevolent, aside from keeping you awake one night.

When I worked in hospitals and cere homes I collected lots of ghost stories and they're all on here, possibly scattered across several threads. In fact, one ended up in an FT paperback! :lol:

Went into a local bakery today to find the owner in a state, telling customers of how the shop bell (the old fashioned type on the counter with the push down top) rang itself early in the morning. "The front door was still locked and I was in the back room. I thought it must have fallen off the counter but it hadn't and there was nobody in the room! It was really forceful, like somebody really slamming their hand down hard on it" :shock:

I asked her if she'd had any other spooky experiences there. Apparently the back door had opened on one occasion, handle turning and all, only for nobody to enter and another shop assistant had felt as though somebody was standing right behind her when she had been making sandwiches in the back room.

I made a hasty exit!

Friend of mine told me a long time ago about the house he grew up in. a large Victorian terraced. Their bathroom light switch was on the wall outside the bathroom which is fairly common in the UK, rather than fit a ceiling pull switch that is the only legal alternative.
What they did as a family to avoid disturbing others in the night with the light was to go in to the bathroom, almost shut the door behind them and flick the light on at the last moment with a hand outside the door before closing it.
Anyway one night his mother got up to go to the bathroom, but just as she was about to turn the light on in this manner her hand was pushed away from the switch. :shock:
There were other more minor things he mentioned which I forget now, But I would have literally shat myself if it were me that night.

jeff544 said:
There were other more minor things he mentioned which I forget now, But I would have literally shat myself if it were me that night.

You'd have been in the right place for it.

One of the comments below it:

"I want to follow her, and open my mouth and eat? her shit"!!!!!!!!! :(

AtomicBadger said:
Regarding road ghosts which may be timeslips, I can think of two stories I know I've read on this very messageboard- although of course I can't find them at the moment.

Took me two years, but I finally found one of them at least! Courtesy of Ken Meaux for Strange magazine, spring 1988:

"L.C. and a business associate, Charlie, (fictitious name) had just finished lunch in the small Southwest Louisiana town of Abbeville. Still discussing their work, they began their drive north along Highway 167 towards the Oil Center city of Lafayette about 15 miles away. The date was October 20, 1969, and the time was about 1:30 in the afternoon. It was one of those picture-perfect days in Fall--clear blue skies and a nippy 60 degrees, just right conditions for cruising along with the car windows rolled down.

The highway had been practically traffic-free until they spotted some distance ahead what appeared to be an old turtle-back-type auto traveling very slowly. As they closed the distance between their vehicle and this relic from the past, their discussion turned from their insurance work to the old car ahead of them. While the style of the auto indicated it to be decades old, it appeared to be in show room condition, which evoked words of admiration from both L.C. and Charlie. Because the car was traveling so slowly, the two men decided to pass it, but before doing so, slowed to better appreciate the beauty and mint condition of the vehicle. As they did so, L.C. noticed a very large bright orange license plate with the year "1940" clearly printed on it. This was most unusual and probably illegal unless provisions had been made for the antique car to be used in ceremonial parades.

As they passed the car slowly to its left, L.C., who was in the passenger's seat, noticed the driver of the car was a young woman dressed in what appeared to be 1940 vintage clothing. This was 1969 and a young woman wearing a hat complete with a long colored feather and a fur coat was, to say the least, a bit unusual. A small child stood on the seat next to her, possibly a little girl. The gender of the child was hard to determine as it too wore a heavy coat and cap. The windows of her car were rolled up, a fact which puzzled L.C. because, though the temperature was nippy, it was quite pleasant and a light sweater was sufficient to keep you comfortable. As they pulled up next to the car, their study turned to alarm as their attention was riveted to the animated expressions of fear and panic on the woman's face. Driving alongside of her at a near crawl (no traffic in either direction allowed this maneuvering) they could see her frantically looking back and forth as if lost or in need of help. She appeared on the verge of tears.

Being on the passenger's side, L.C. called out to her and asked if she needed help. To this she nodded "yes," all the while looking down (old cars sat a little higher than the low profiles of today's cars) with a very puzzled look at their vehicle. L.C. motioned to her to pull over and park on the side of the road. He had to repeat the request several times with hand signs and mouthing the words because her window was rolled up and it seemed she had difficulty hearing them. They saw her begin to pull over so they continued to pass her so as to safely pull over also in front of her. As they came to a halt on the shoulder of the road, L.C. and Charlie turned to look at the old car behind them. However, to their astonishment, there was no sign of the car. Remember, this was on an open highway with no side roads nearby, no place to hide a car. It and its occupants had simply vanished.

L.C. and Charlie looked back at the empty highway. As they sat in the car, spellbound and bewildered, it was obvious to them that a search would prove futile. Meanwhile, the driver of a vehicle that had been behind the old car pulled over behind them. He ran to L.C. and Charlie and frantically demanded an explanation as to what had become of the car ahead of him. His account was as follows. He was driving North on Highway 167 when he saw, some distance away, a new car passing up a very old car at a slow pace, so slow that they appeared to be nearly stopped. He saw the new car pull onto the shoulder and the old car started to do the same. Momentarily, it obstructed the new car and then suddenly disappeared. All that remained ahead of him was the new car on the shoulder of the highway. Desperate to associate logic to this incredible sight, he immediately assumed an accident had occurred. Indeed, an accident had not occurred, but something more haunting, perhaps as tragic, and certainly more mysterious had.

After discussing what each had seen from his perspective, the three men walked the area for an hour. The third man, who was from out of state, insisted on reporting the incident to the police. He felt that it was a "missing person" situation and that they had been witnesses. L.C. and Charlie refused to do so as they had no idea where the woman and child along with the car had gone. They were missing alright, but no police on this plane of existence had the power to find them. The third man finally decided that without their cooperation he could not report this on his own for fear his sanity would be questioned. He did exchange addresses and phone numbers with L.C. and Charlie. For years he kept in touch with them, calling just to talk about his incident and to confirm again that he had seen what he had."

I've always remembered this story for some reason; something about it just seems more-than-usually creepy to me, and it's definitely not your run-of-the-mill ghost or timeslip tale, since it seems the woman they saw was able to see them as well, and was, if anything, even more disturbed about this than the three men were. Brrr! :)

Slightly more on topic, I absolutely love high strangeness reports like this, and I would love to find more of them, preferably ones which are still obscure and haven't yet made the rounds of constant mention in the relevant literature. Any recommendations?

fantastic account and puts me very much in mind of the haunted tesco car park in prestwich manchester account which was in the magazine ihtm a couple years back ... what links it is the expression on the ( again ) womans face immediately prior to disappearing i will dig out a link if its on here somewhere

Haunted Workplace

In the mid 90s I worked for a short period in retail, the company specialised in Motor car accessories & parts. This was in the N.E. of England & at the time their was approx 5 - 6 shops in the area. I was only young & as I could drive & used my own car I was asked to cover some shops at short notice. One shop I was asked to cover had a bit of a reputation & although it was situated near other shops on that stretch, sometimes it was deathly (no pun intended) quiet. Myself & a colleague over a period of a few weeks felt & noticed certain things that un-nerved us a bit & luckily for me this was my last spell with the company before I started work somewhere else (they where crap at everything & even worse at retaining staff) any how back to the events. The back area of the shop (office / safe / store room) was bare & no decoration or attention was particulary paid to it. In the far left corner was the safe, (a hole in the floor with a small hatch which was opened with a key) this area we noticed gave us goose bumps & the hairs on the back of your neck stood on end. From this area which was deliberatley concealed & unlit there was some stairs which led to the first floor above the shop & was vacant (more of this later). The first instances in the shop where taps & knocks, bangs, the feeling of being watched & CotEM (Corner of the Eye Movement) which happened quite a few times. Once my colleague & I where stood in the shop talking to a customer when a `baby seat` which had been placed on the top shelf (& had been on this shelf for a few months) decided to leap (not fall) from the shelf & land in the middle of the shop whilst we where all stood there. As it was a quiet day we decided to `re enact` this event by putting the seat back in its origonal position & tapping the seat a little until it slid off the shelf......each time it fell to the bottom of the shelves & not the 7-8 foot it had travelled to on its own. Another time my colleague & I stood open mouthed as footsteps went from one side of the room upstairs, across to the other.....slow & delibrate.......once they stopped a game of `you go first, No you` ensued........until we both locked the front of the shop & both of us went up........we checked all over the place.......nothing. The strangest incident I suppose was when I was working `out the back` probably looking at stock etc & my colleague was in the front of the shop cleaning shelves & had a bucket of water & various cleaning cloths etc....he had looked up to see a guy standing at one of the shelves, my colleagues hands where wet, so shouted me, I replied & a few seconds later walked out `what`.....my colleague tilted his head round the shelf & nodded in the direction of where this person was only to be shocked that he wasnt.....I walked to the door & looked out, no one he described (tall man wearing brown & wearing a cloth cap). There was a bloke there a second ago !!!!!! Oh right.......& back to work it was. I left a few weeks later for pastures new, & havent seen the shop in years however a few years back I drove past it & noticed it was `tanning shop`.........not sure if they have experienced anything or not, but it was difficult to keep an open mind.

At the posh modern sheltered housing where my mother lives, there are some bedbound residents who have to be turned a couple of times in the night. (To stop bedsores, and to attend to continence issues.)
Last night, our Ma was sitting around in the communal lounge chatting until the early hours as she often does when a couple of the carers burst in and told everyone that they'd just seen a ghost! Furthermore, it was caught on CCTV!

They'd both seen what looked like a woman in a long white dress standing on an inside balcony. When they went up to check, in case it was an elderly confused resident, they lost sight of her as she seemed to drift away. Puzzled, they looked round for her but couldn't find her, so they went to the office to look at the CCTV.

All they saw was a sort of wispy white shape floating around, with the two of them approaching from behind it. As they got close, it did indeed move away and disappear, just as they'd seen it do.

What I'd GIVE to see that CCTV, or to get my hands on it.

Rest assured, I will be popping over to Ma's soon and having a look out for Mrs Ghost. 8)

Exciting! :)
Try to get them to post the video on Youtube.

escargot1 said:
At the posh modern sheltered housing where my mother lives...
Last night, our Ma was sitting around in the communal lounge chatting until the early hours as she often does when a couple of the carers burst in and told everyone that they'd just seen a ghost! Furthermore, it was caught on CCTV!
What I'd GIVE to see that CCTV, or to get my hands on it.
Rest assured, I will be popping over to Ma's soon and having a look out for Mrs Ghost. 8)
Well, that is posh - no CCTV where I live! There could be dozens of ghosts, and we'd never know! (Or have evidence of them...)

As for me, I'm planning to move to the eleventy first dimension...

My sister has had a fair few experiences. Not me, alas, although I can't say I'm too concerned about that!
She seems to attract this stuff, although shows no interest in the paranormal or spooks whatsoever. At the age of 50 now, she seems to just take it in her stride, but then she is a very 'dark' kind of person: not in the creative sense, but just rather pessimistic and troubled.

Here are a few snippets....

She began working as a care nurse in a rest home (is that the right word?), basically, where people quite frequently pass away. I know that her job involved preparing the dealing with the deceased shortly after them passing on (washing, dressing,etc).

Some of the elderly residents used to tell her that a group of 'people' were attached to her everywhere she went. It gave her the creeps pretty bad.
Not sure if she somehow picked them up at the home, but her issues kicked in after work, and even on a holiday to the Lake district. At 3am or so she would wake up for no apparent reason and sense something in the room with her. After a few mins she felt someone tucking her in, as if trying to comfort her. I thought that this happening at home and on holiday was downright weird!

Over time, the waking in the night took its toll, to the point where she began to develop insomnia. The clock would always read the same hour, and the sense of something with her continued. Sadly the feelings grew worse, oppressive, with the comforting 'hands' becoming more intrusive, like trying to lift her, etc. She also reported feeling the bed move on a few occasions. The worst was when she actually saw someone open the bedroom door and only half step into the room - she said they wore pajamas and held a sort of walking frame or stick.

I remember thinking it had to have something to do with the care home when I heard this.

After she left there, she went to work in a home for young, brain damaged people and the issue abruptly stopped.

Whether this was an unconscious response to a job that she wasn't happy with, or an actual haunting I doubt we'll ever know. It made me feel really dark for a while, this idea that a bunch of lost souls were attached to her, even following her around like that.

She was disturbed by it, by way of it affecting her sleep and her energy levels, but not particularly scared. I would have gone utterly loopy with fear if that had been me.

Back