• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Train (BBC Documentary, 1989)

NomDeGuerre

Devoted Cultist
Stumbled across this gem while on YouTube this eve and thought it worth a share.

A really quite interesting documentary from BBC's '40 Minutes' strand, featuring ghost stories and encounters from everyday people. Remarkable as a) I can't imagine the BBC broadcasting something like this today (aside from a two and a half minute segment on the Halloween episode of the One Show) and b) unlike the 'ghost hunting' programmes of today, it's devoid of night vision cameras, puffa jackets and hysterical screaming.

A few stories really stand out, but the one that I enjoyed the most was the man who saw his (dead) aunt walking down the street. The payoff for that one is particularly nice!

Anyway, worth a watch...

Stumbled across this gem while on YouTube this eve and thought it worth a share.

A really quite interesting documentary from BBC's '40 Minutes' strand, featuring ghost stories and encounters from everyday people. Remarkable as a) I can't imagine the BBC broadcasting something like this today (aside from a two and a half minute segment on the Halloween episode of the One Show) and b) unlike the 'ghost hunting' programmes of today, it's devoid of night vision cameras, puffa jackets and hysterical screaming.

A few stories really stand out, but the one that I enjoyed the most was the man who saw his (dead) aunt walking down the street. The payoff for that one is particularly nice!

Anyway, worth a watch...

Thanks, I'll give that a watch tonight.

Anyway, worth a watch...

Featured last year here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...eirdness-on-youtube.29761/page-3#post-1867504

I post not so much for the sneer-factor, but rather because the three other videos in this post may also interest you.

I'm pretty sure this documentary features the late Eddie Burks, who, of all the better know mediums, is the only one I could ever warm to - probably because he always seemed so utterly untheatrical.

Edit: Yes - it does. In fact this is the documentary that has always stuck in my mind as possible ammunition for a counter-argument to the idea that the official line of all officialdom is to discount the paranormal and belittle or cover up expressions of the same on its territory and/or by its employees. I mean, Mr Burks gets access to both RAF Linton and to some of its personnel - and no-one seems to bat an eye. And you can't get much more official than the RAF.

Last edited:

Anyway, worth a watch...

Thanks for this.

Just watched the first few minutes, and was interested to see that the first story is about Chingle Hall. I mentioned Chingle hall in a post earlier on this morning, before I saw your you tube BBC film post.

Bit of a coincidence.

Back