• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ah like William Mayne's excellent 'Earthfasts' book.

(Oh great, I just googled him and found he's one of the increasingly long list of Undesirables... ghastly)

I am sure it wasn't there when you filmed it :) That little ghost drummer must be member of MCRmy

... I know water dripping through limestone can sound remarkably like a drum in the distance, if the acoustics are right- there's a natural cavern near me that's a popular tourist spot, and the tour guides specifically point out the sound. I'm sure other natural phenomena could fit the bill.

I can attest to another natural source of tapping / knocking sounds in creeks with rocky beds. It's possible for relatively flat and smooth 'river rocks' to be piled in such a way that one or more stones teeter and rock with the water's flow. I've traced repetitive tapping (etc.) sounds to such tipping stones more than once.

I've a query for anyone more knowledgeable about the Drummer of Tidworth than me. I've recently been reading a book on haunted Wiltshire, and I came across a claim that the drummer haunted Mompesson House in Salisbury. It was always my understanding that it had haunted a house in Tidworth, hence phantom drummer of Tidworth. Both the house in Salisbury and the house in Tidworth were said to belong to John Mompesson in the 17th century. Anyone got any clarification on this?

Back