• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts in the Bristol area

Why are all these groups closed to new members? It's weird.
I've experienced frustration like that too.

Mythopoeika said:
Why are all these groups closed to new members? It's weird.
I've experienced frustration like that too.

I suspect because of Most Haunted. Thanks to that show, an awful lot of people believe paranormal investigation involves running around in the dark and screaming a lot and I imagine that there would be a suspicion that new members may also believe that.

I think you might be right I dont think most haunted couldnt have done many favours for groups trying to undertake serious research, imagine wanna be Derek Accora's getting under your feet.

mr_macabre Ive sent you a P.M mate :)

and if anyone else fancies starting a group feel free to drop me a pm :)

This might be a bit of a basic question but what do ghost groups do? Also how do you pick out places to look?

I'm not criticising the idea at all by the way, I'm genuinely interested to hear.

To be fair Old Rover ive no idea mate. I was just gonna play it by ear a bit, have a bit of a brain storm with others that are interested, so far just me and one other but hey you gotta start somewhere :)

oldrover said:
This might be a bit of a basic question but what do ghost groups do? Also how do you pick out places to look?

Unless you're working with a university parapsychological group I'd imagine anything goes. Most I've read about tend to use 'scientific' instruments such as laser temperature gauges and Electro Magnetic pollution meters in an attempt to gather empirical evidence of variations from the baseline taken at the site. Whether these variations of EMP or temperature are evidence of the paranormal is questionable but certainly interesting particularly where no other explanation is forthcoming.

The actual investigation tends to be small groups or lone individuals holding vigils in areas where paranormal activity has been previously reported with sound or video recordings of the proceedings.

In fact before Most Haunted jumped the shark and extreme PK activity started happening with suspicious regularity around certain members of the team :roll: the investigations were very similar to the above.

Some groups use spiritualist mediums or sensitives, some don't, some use ouija boards and table tapping/tipping and some don't.

As to how find places to investigate, it's all about knowing local history and going to places with a history of activity and arranging the neccessary access with the owners. Problem is that after Most Haunted the pool has been somewhat poisoned. Paranormal histories have been exagerated or downright invented to increase foot fall to old inns, haunted property owners have either closed their doors to all investigators after too many bad experiences or now charge such hugely inflated fees that it's turned into a rich man's game. A number of companies also offer 'Haunted experience' weekends that are a trap for the unwary, over priced and either grown ups running around in the dark screaming or just a series of incidents carefully managed, using no doubt the same techniques that have been used in 'Victorian sceance' evenings for decades.

Hey!

I'm a Bristol gal, keen to meet up with others. If there's any progress with this I'd love to be involved.

Hi all,

I'm based in Weston-Super-Mare and would love to set up a ghost hunting club with like minded people. I have had a few paranormal experiences in the past myself and would like to investigate what they were and why.

Let me know if there is anyone who's interested.

:)

I reckon we've got ourselves a proper little ghosthunting group! Are there any others in and around Bristol (or further afield if you don't mind travelling) who'd be up for meeting sometime?

C'mon, don't be shy...

I was based in Bristol, now in Bath. More spooks than you can shake a stick at here. The alive ones are a bit weird as well.

iwol_uk said:
Hi all,

I'm based in Weston-Super-Mare and would love to set up a ghost hunting club with like minded people. I have had a few paranormal experiences in the past myself and would like to investigate what they were and why.

Let me know if there is anyone who's interested.

:)

Oooh yes! I'm in Weston too,and would love to join if you set one up!

Glad so many people are interested. The only place I know in Weston that's haunted is Birnbeck Pier. Unfortunately, its obviously out of bounds for safety reasons.
Does anyone know anywhere else that we could do an investigation / meet to get to grips with the equipment and share our thoughts etc in person?

This is looking good. So a meeting place? any ideas? im free most of the time and can travel within reason. I have had a couple of txts from one person on here and have skyped with another its just a case of getting people together. So shall we say the Evening of sunday the 16th and see what response that gets?

Sent a few pms out ect hope to get some replies :)

hi were from bridgwater me and the mrs have wondered about joining a group but didnt fancy being the newbies! this sounds just the ticket!

The 16th should be good for me. Just gotta get directions as new to the area :arrow: :)

Dear all apologies but due to a serious illness in the family im having to cancle tonights meeting.

Matt

No probs, family has to come first. Hope all is well.

We'll sort something out in the new year, I'm sure - probably be less hectic then, anyway :).

Yeah, no probs. We can meet up in the new year. I'm looking forward to it :)

PS - Hope your family illness gets sorted and you have a good Christmas and New Year Retic.

Daniel

Hi all, I just watched this YouTube video about Worlebury Woods which has some interesting snippets about the area's bloody history. I don't think there are any documented "hauntings" but that might just be because no one has spent any time investigating the area.

Watch the video and see what you think, might be worth looking at if we do get round to doing some investigations this year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpwkdHDY3OU

This place looks very interesting. There maybe some residual activity due to the nature of what went on there. Worth a look I'd say.

Well done for finding it mr_macabre :)

mr_macabre said:
Hi all, I just watched this YouTube video about Worlebury Woods which has some interesting snippets about the area's bloody history. I don't think there are any documented "hauntings" but that might just be because no one has spent any time investigating the area.

Watch the video and see what you think, might be worth looking at if we do get round to doing some investigations this year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpwkdHDY3OU

Hi guys,

I've been looking around and have found the BSPRI site. It looks interesting and has some info on investigations they have carried out: http://www.bspri.org.uk/BSPRI/investigations.php

Definitely worth looking into don't you think?

I've got a nice collection of equipment now so am looking forward to meeting up with some of you like minded people and hopefully catching something paranormal on video / audio.

Let me know your thoughts.
:D

anniversary of haunting tonight

I posted this ages ago.Well its the anniversary tonight. Unfortunately I am unable to get there. Would anyone be willing to get down there?

This story can be found in the book "True Ghost Stories" - Vivienne Rae-Ellis. I am not going to retype the whole the story.

Basically Haunted road on the A39, situated near to a minor road to Cossington. There is a toll house near to the spot. Mentions two mysterious cars, with headlights approaching them at speed. At the same time a man wearing a long brown coat runs across road heading towards the minor road. Thinking he has been knocked down by the cars. They brake, look in the rear mirror. No man prostrate on the road and no cars. They give the date 28th April 1981 for the paranormal experience. Around about 9:30pm.

Apparently they returned a year later. Same thing happened at approx 9:40pm. Though this time, they seemed to have taken the place of one of the cars. Sounds pretty bizarre. Have always wanted to check this out on the anniversary.

http://maps.google.com/?t=h&layer=c&cbl ... urce=embed

Back