Ghosts Of Pets

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Just to add. Like Houdini's wife I fully expected the Old Fella to make the effort and contact me from beyond the grave. He couldn't be arsed.
Someone once told me that when people die they see how trivial our earthly lives are. It's like when you grow up and leave behind your deep love of Crackerjack. You know it's not important any more.

Or it's like the dragonfly parable, where the dragonfly larvae promise to come back from where everyone disappears to when they climb up the stalk and out of the pond; but when it's their turn they fly and swoop and forget all about life in the mud.

Must be the same for animals too.

Bad Bungle

Devoted Cultist
We seem to be accepting a distinction in this thread between ghosts of pets and ghosts of animals. I sort of hope that animals don't have a soul because I've killed a few and eaten more - I think it was on the FT forums that some-one pointed out the lack of ghost stories involving cows for example (or gold fish ?). So what are we as humans adding to the equation that makes the family dog or cat sometimes re-appear ?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
So what are we as humans adding to the equation that makes the family dog or cat sometimes re-appear?
I think the answer implied is "heart!" Yet there do seem to be curious gaps. Given the emotional investment many young girls have in their ponies, we have few tales of their phantoms*. Ghost doggies and pussies abound but phantom rabbits and gerbils are rare. Ghost fish even more so.

I will hazard a guess that dreams of these species follow a similar pattern, though I know how attached some relatives - and board members - have been to their rodents and fishies.

Echoing - and distorting - Siegmund in Die Walküre, there are many of us who have decided that a Valhalla without our pups and moggies isn't worth the name. :doggy:

The cartoon above is more like it!

*There are lots of ghostly horses - or horse-noises, at least - especially associated with battles, ghostly coaches etc. These are almost never individual animals but beasts defined by their work.

Last edited: