Ghosts Of The Appalachian Trail

jeff544

Ephemeral Spectre
In his book A walk in the woods about his hiking the Appalachian trail in America, Bill Bryson mentions a phantom hiker: All one day this hiker in old fashioned looking gear is just in view, always the same distance in front. The next day the same (apparently) hiker is just in view behind, never catching up or disappearing out of view completely. He never saw him again after that.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Not sure if this is the right thread, but some interesting tales of forteana along the Appalachian Trail here. ...
One quibble ...

I have no idea why the sample of Appalachian Trail items (on the linked webpage) includes Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.

The Appalachian Trail doesn't pass through Kentucky, and Mammoth Cave is at least 150 miles (as the crow flies ... ) from any point along the trail.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
We don't learn enough geography here in the US.

"Mary had passed away at the precise time that the visitors had heard the dog in the forest."
How do they know it was the precise time? Did Mary's family and the visitors have synchronized watches? This is a suspiciously common claim in supernatural tales. :thought: