• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts: Scary?

do you find ghosts, the idea of ghosts, etc, scary?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters
Nah. Sudden, unannounced diarrhea is my main fear. Um, is this on the record?

They're dead- dead buggers can't hurt ya.

I also think there are childhood fears of the unknown which we grow out of as we learn more. We can rationalise our fears now- that creaking floorboard is probably the dog, that strange light is a car going past.... whereas children are more vulnerable and superstitious.

You basically grow out of it!

And I think of myself as someone who sees ghosts or whatever they are sometimes- but not in my bedroom at 3am!

(Plenty other scary stuff in there!:D )

Yeah, the 'idea' has me scared...

Going with the 'idea of ghosts' bit, I voted yes. If, as is often claimed, ghosts are human beings who have somehow been condemned to perform some Sisyphean task for eternity, then I find that possibility scary in a similar fashion to my dread of living through Nietzche's theory of eternal return.

Edit: if ghosts aren't 'stuck' with their fate (they could be psychic traces or subconscious projections of the viewer etc.), then i'm not scared in principle, just very, very interested.

Yes.

I think it's - bizarrely - something to do with them being non-corporeal. Knowing I can't touch them scares me - even though logic dictates that it probably means they can't touch me either.

Ghosts ain't scary. If they exist, they would constitute a proof of the persistance of human identity beyond death, and that'd be comforting, not scary.

I said yes, but I scare easy.

I'm not sure why I'd be scared of them, but as I visibly jumped twice last night as a result of a friend talking to me (first time she brushed my shoulder to get my attention, the second she just said something, both times she'd snuck up behind me), I may be considered as somewhat nervous of disposition.

both the ones I've seen (actrualy 3 but one was of a person who was ttill alive) have been fucking terifighing.

But then a friend does have a benine ghost in his house who if it dosn't like visitors knocks their coats to the ground (I've seen this actualy happen while the others on the wrack remsain untouched.) Oh yea, it also hides things in a mistaken belief that you will find this playfull and chasrming. When your late for work not being able to find the keys (when you hung them on the hook by the front door) is not charming in the least.

I voted yes because I find anything paranormal scary at first. If a ghost appeared in front of me, I would be immediately scared, but probably then stop being scared after a minute. I hope I would anyway.

Even though ghosts are just naturally-recorded projections being replayed from inside stones.

taras said:
Even though ghosts are just naturally-recorded projections being replayed from inside stones.

you sure about that Taras? :D

I voted yes, because IIRC correctly I saw a ghost when I was little and It scared the shite out of me, and since then the idea of ghosts when I am lonely and alone freaks me out entirely. However, I've had a fair bit of poltergeist disturbance and that doesn't really bother me at all.

Not scary...

If they never bothered me while they were alive, why should they bother me now they're dead?

I'd be more curious than scared...*walks out into the dark without a torch, despite being told there's something unnatural out there*

Ghosts don't really scare me; they're just dead people, either in person or representation.

It's all those things that have never been human that scare me.

Have only seen one and the fact that what I was seeing was physically impossible had me completely frozen with terror.

Some ghosts are scary but most are not, a poltergist once scared the pants off me by floating a shoe box into the middle of the room and then dropping it onto a coffie table, but when I've seen ghost cats (see the anybody seen a ghost thread) they were more intreagueing than anything else.

I recon that if a ghost dose something shocking or reminds us of our own mortality then it's scary if not then it's just interesting, so I haven't voted yet.
any cance of puting an option like that in the poll, moderators?

Inverurie Jones said:
Ghosts don't really scare me; they're just dead people, either in person or representation.

It's all those things that have never been human that scare me.

what's the quote from that bloke that wrote the lion the witch and the wardrope...'if you see something that used to be human, or that wants to be human, or that aunt to be human be on your guard and keep your kuggel ready.'

The Virgin Queen said:
what's the quote from that bloke that wrote the lion the witch and the wardrope...'if you see something that used to be human, or that wants to be human, or that aunt to be human be on your guard and keep your kuggel ready.'

I'd rather have a hatchet and a revolver loaded with silver bullets...

I voted "yes."

For me, the fear arises from being confronted with an unknown quantity which may or may not have unknown abilities.

In other words, fear arises from ignorance of the rules.

However, I think my fear would disappear fairly quickly if the ghost didn't do anything threatening.

my fear would disappear fairly quickly if the ghost didn't do anything threatening

I believe I've seen what you might call ghosts, Elisheva, and they weren't at all threatening, so I agree with you!

No. How many people have been killed or seriously injured by ghosts? Why be afraid of something that cannot harm you?

Now cars, they are scary....

I chose the "sometimes" option, as upon initially seeing one, I believe fear is the predominating emotion felt; Midnight's answer about being frightened due to witnessing the physically impossible is very true, at least in my case.

But, as my father used to tell me when I was a kid, to calm my fears about living next door to a church cemetary, "It's not the dead people that you should be afraid of, it's the live ones that you need to watch out for!".

It depends what is meant by a ghost. Some ghosts seem to be nothing more than recordings, repeating actions performed in life, not interacting with people or their current environment.
Others seem to be spirits (or possibly souls), aware of themselves and their surroundings, fairly benign and sometimes with messages. There are others`whose intent is not benign.
Then there are those beings who have never had a corporeal body, creatures of energy/spirit who wear a mask of a familiar form. They may be benign or not but they may leak psychic energy which we pick up, feeling uneasy or afraid.

I would say that it would depend upon which type of 'ghost' you encountered as to whether you were frightened or not.

Yes but upon encountering any type, even one that is, say, sitting in a chair, reading a book or something equally mundane, would it not give you a bit of a start, at least initially? An OMG, WTF? - type feeling, however fleeting?

The only encounter I've had with a ghost resulted in much running in terror with the other 2 people I was with. We spotted it outdoors and when it began moving in our direction it was a 200 meter sprint. I know ghosts specifically moving in peoples direction may sound contrary to what people know here but I was there with backup and it still resulted in sprinting despite my interest in this stuff.

I chose "sometimes", cos sitting here in broad daylight the prospect doesn't bother me. In a strange, eerie place alone with odd noises though... it's the anticip-p-p-pation innit!?

Back