• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts (Sitcom)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
New show by the Horrible Histories guys on BBC 1 at 21.30. I read an interview with one of them plugging it, it's about a haunted house. He was asked it it's like Rentaghost, and he said not really - but it does sound like Rentaghost's main rival, The Ghosts of Motley Hall (he didn't mention that). He did say it was not really for kids, but he had no problem if younger HH fans stayed up to watch it as a treat, which was sweet. But yeah, worth a look.

We've just watched that, very funny!

It reminded us of Rentaghost and Motley Hall too. It's sort of 'adult' without bing adult, if you know what I mean; slightly gory but no swearing or sex.

The boredom of being condemned to haunt the same place forever with the same bunch of random spooks came across well. The other spooks are intriguing too!

(I also like how a main character is black. There have been ethnically non-European people in Britain since Roman times or before so some of the ghosts could have been non-white too. A Caribbean/Scouser sailor would have been funny!
Non-white Brits are an authentic part of our history. We should see more of them in drama.)

Anyway, we'll stay with it!

Yes! It's also good how all the ghosts have their own story as to how they ended up there. Presumably we'll find out more as the series progresses. I think Caveman Robin is my favourite so far! Although the MP's costume is very funny in itself.

Hmmm... Not yet up to the standard of the same team’s Yonderland, but l’m happy to give it another couple of episodes to see if it improves.

maximus otter

Another funny episode! Caveman Robin is still my favourite character, maybe because he sounds like Adam Buxton's "foreign voice". Smart manipulation to keep the couple around, too. The plague victims in the cellar are a great creation. "Aww!" whenever the light goes out!

Isn’t the MP the one in Yonderland that always wanted to disrobe? Lol

I’m loving it. I do like the HH gang.

I particularly liked the idea that the other ghosts are scared/unnerved by the little girl.

Also nice to listen out for the names the older ghosts give to modern things like cars and the t.v.

Oh, and the plague ghosts have spent so much time in the cellar they've learnt how the boiler works. Lots of nice little touches.

This is actually quite sweet, isn't it? Like how they're going through various permutations of being a ghost. Funniest bit this week was Allison trying to have a serious conversation with the builder but being... distracted.

Hmm, I wonder if this week's pretentious actor was based on anyone? Eating his salad! Heh.

A pretentious actor eating salad?

So many to choose from ;)

I noticed the bullet hole in the poet's waistcoat for the first time:)

Intermittently funny, but achingly right-on:

Mixed-race couple:
The pervy, dishonest MP: Tory?
The army officer: homosexual?
The head builder: Vegan?

All we need now is the eeeevil American (extra 10 points if he's the President!), and the Richard Curtis/Ben Elton Award for By-the-Numbers PC Scriptwriting 2019 is in the bag.

I agree that Robin the Caveman is the best character.

maximus otter

Maybe they should have shot the pigeon for dinner, considering what happened. Nice moment appreciating the Moon. Very funny ritual interrupting the chat and great to see Geoffrey McGivern is still going (Sophie Thompson too!).

Tonight's had an "end of the series" mood, but I think there's one more to go. The details are great, like the fraudster using handwash after shaking hands with them! The pilot ghosts were very funny.

I liked seeing the different ghosts at the other houses. I hope there is another series as I want to know about the deaths of the ghosts that haven’t been mentioned.

The director (I think that’s who it was) said we’d find out about the people in the basement this episode and we sure did.

How nice to have this back, and with a ghost hunters episode too. I wonder if they were based on anyone specific (a psogger?!)? Anyway, it really made me laugh and I'm so glad they got the filming finished just before Lockdown happened (about three days before, I believe). All on iPlayer, but I think I'll make a Monday night appointment with the show.

How nice to have this back, and with a ghost hunters episode too. I wonder if they were based on anyone specific (a psogger?!)? Anyway, it really made me laugh and I'm so glad they got the filming finished just before Lockdown happened (about three days before, I believe). All on iPlayer, but I think I'll make a Monday night appointment with the show.

Here’s an article about them trying to get it finished in time.
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-09-18/bbc-one-ghosts-coronavirus/

I binge-watched the first series back at the start of lockdown and thought it was quite funny.

Just watched the first episode of series two and, well it was OK, but do you think they've toned the adult humour down a bit now that it's being shown before the 21:00 watershed?
Series 1 was broadcast on a late graveyard slot (arf) and got away with some suggestive material - notably featuring the "Paddy Pantsdown" style politician.

I binge-watched the first series back at the start of lockdown and thought it was quite funny.

Just watched the first episode of series two and, well it was OK, but do you think they've toned the adult humour down a bit now that it's being shown before the 21:00 watershed?
Series 1 was broadcast on a late graveyard slot (arf) and got away with some suggestive material - notably featuring the "Paddy Pantsdown" style politician.

There were plenty of Fanny jokes and syphilis.

The Moon landing conspiracy theme (that only Neanderthals would believe)!

Back